VOYNOV update?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The fact VV sat out the 2018/19 khl season points to some calculated moves on his behalf. I think we’ll get a press conference after the awards show and before July 1, where the family gets up there and he gives his mea culpa.

I don’t think his agent would have him over here and not playing if there were zero jobs for him in the league. I bet he gets paid on a 1 year, $4m contract with one of Montreal, Florida or Pittsburgh.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The fact VV sat out the 2018/19 khl season points to some calculated moves on his behalf. I think we’ll get a press conference after the awards show and before July 1, where the family gets up there and he gives his mea culpa.

I don’t think his agent would have him over here and not playing if there were zero jobs for him in the league. I bet he gets paid on a 1 year, $4m contract with one of Montreal, Florida or Pittsburgh.

IIRC he had a pretty serious achilles injury which would have kept him out for at least half the year. Not sure if the injury was responsible for him missing the entire year.

Reactions: DoktorJeep
Jul 31, 2005
CA

I don't think Russian men are known for giving apologies. I doubt there would be any sort of press conference because they would be afraid of Voynov answering any questions or him looking like he's dodging questions if he stepped way after giving his written speech. The whole thing would be painfully scripted and not from the heart one bit.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I know Voynov made a huge mistake and was vilified for it. His wife is still with him and he appears to have gotten his life back together. If he ends up on Montreal,Pittsburgh or Florida or anywhere else I will cheer for him. He was my favorite King not because he was a star but a rising Star!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If Voynov got the help he needed, then he absolutely deserves another chance.

Victims of domestic abuse should feel safe that the only thing that they should expect to stop is the abuse itself. Careers and financial security shouldn't be threatened should they choose to speak out. Otherwise, they may be too afraid of ruining their lives as well as the abuser's life.

If Voynov doesn't fit on the team due to the organizational direction, sure, don't pursue him. By all means a team shouldn't pursue him just to make a political statement.

Conversely, a team also shouldn't refuse to consider him to make a similar statement. Especially if the bigger picture is to encourage more abuse victims to speak out.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If Voynov got the help he needed, then he absolutely deserves another chance.

Victims of domestic abuse should feel safe that the only thing that they should expect to stop is the abuse itself. Careers and financial security shouldn't be threatened should they choose to speak out. Otherwise, they may be too afraid of ruining their lives as well as the abuser's life.

If Voynov doesn't fit on the team due to the organizational direction, sure, don't pursue him. By all means a team shouldn't pursue him just to make a political statement.

Conversely, a team also shouldn't refuse to consider him to make a similar statement. Especially if the bigger picture is to encourage more abuse victims to speak out.

You need to take into account that there wasn't a formal (and powerful) #metoo movement back in 2015. There is now. Corporations (which directly or indirectly own every sports franchise) are puppets to the PC culture and have no desire to deal with the blow back that would occur for any team that signs Voynov.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don't think Russian men are known for giving apologies. I doubt there would be any sort of press conference because they would be afraid of Voynov answering any questions or him looking like he's dodging questions if he stepped way after giving his written speech. The whole thing would be painfully scripted and not from the heart one bit.

Taking questions from the press may be one of the “costs” he’ll have to face if he plays, no matter what. The logical move is to coach the family on how to respond and say there will be no further statements moving forward. Follow that up with instagram pictures of the family going for ice cream and people will move on.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

What kind of generalized bullshit is this? Russian men can’t apologize? Why does everyone err on the side of “he clearly doesn’t feel any remorse”?

Reactions: andys

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think people over estimate the size of this story. It's not big enough to hold a press conference. He isn't tiger woods.

No kidding. Anyone that doesn’t frequent a hockey message board likely wouldn’t even remember it happened.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Also from that same article;

TheHockeyNews.com reached out to executives of 10 NHL teams and only one indicated he would even consider trading for Voynov’s rights.
I have a wife and daughters,” one GM said. “It would be really hard to justify that to them. He’s a good player and we’re all human and we make mistakes. But I just couldn’t see myself getting involved in that one.

And that's why most teams won't consider him. Because those players that he'd have to share a locker room. they have wives and girlfriends. I don't think any team will trade for him. Not to ,mention the fanbase of that city and the issues that would create.

I'm guessing that GM isn't with the Nashville Predators, then. Or any organization that rolls out Bobby Hull for speeches.

The selective outrage is what pisses me off.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You need to take into account that there wasn't a formal (and powerful) #metoo movement back in 2015. There is now. Corporations (which directly or indirectly own every sports franchise) are puppets to the PC culture and have no desire to deal with the blow back that would occur for any team that signs Voynov.

I completely understand the optics.

I just think, like usual, people are putting the outrage over a wrong ahead of the big picture and how the attitudes affect others.

I just want the next victim of domestic abuse to feel safe in filing charges when his or her significant other does this by virtue of the fact that domestic abuse is wrong. I don't want the next victim to worry if getting help will end their livelihood.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
With a 1 year khl deal, he could be back in the news next summer as an nhl target.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With a 1 year khl deal, he could be back in the news next summer as an nhl target.
I saw where V Voynov signed with Avangard Omsk. They have 5 RD. Voynov will be their best D-man I'm sure. Just wondering if Voynov will be a UFA next year in 2020?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thank goodness this thread will at least turn into an anchor for a year or so.

I'm sure someone will find a way to be mad at the Kings for this though.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Thank goodness this thread will at least turn into an anchor for a year or so.

I'm sure someone will find a way to be mad at the Kings for this though.
The Kings should have signed Voynov and I hope he joins them in March when the KHL season is over! Voynov has paid his debt. And if the Kings deem him tradeable then so be it! I for one think this organization is dire need of a top quality RD-man and he fits the bill!

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
The Kings should have signed Voynov and I hope he joins them in March when the KHL season is over! Voynov has paid his debt. And if the Kings deem him tradeable then so be it! I for one think this organization is dire need of a top quality RD-man and he fits the bill!
From all the quotes from the front office, it doesn’t look like VV will be coming back to LA - but he does hold value and we should get a decent pick for him at TDL.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Does he hold value?

- Hasn't played in the NHL since early 2015
- Kings have already said he isn't welcome back, so no leverage
- The obvious baggage that goes along with acquiring him

What is a "decent" pick? I think the Kings would be fortunate to get a 5th for his rights. There will not be a feeding frenzy of suitors.

It is best for everyone if they resign themselves to the fact that this asset was entirely lost for nothing in return. If they wind up getting anything for him well, that's gravy at this point.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, even at full abilites, I think the last thing I'd want is Voynov in LA at this point. It's one thing to wait so long to rip the bandaid off; it's another thing altogether to jab the wound with a rusty fork.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

You must of been in hibernation as the Kings org came out weeks ago stating they will not touch him....you know, had to do the politically correct thing. Just another travesty to the horrible 18-19 season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I mean, even at full abilites, I think the last thing I'd want is Voynov in LA at this point. It's one thing to wait so long to rip the bandaid off; it's another thing altogether to jab the wound with a rusty fork.
It's okay if you get a tetanus shot.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Voynov will never play in the NHL again. The real concern for the NHL is with the spousal abuse rates at over 30% when this happens again, and it will happen again, will they ban the player for the rest of his life like they have with Voynov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad