Voynov Suspended for 2019-2020 (upd: NHLPA to appeal)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So if someone walked in and shot your wife/parents/kids you wouldn't want that person put away for as long as possible?

What does that have to do with a physical altercation? No life was lost, he did his time, and paid his dues. Let's chill out with over dramatic hyperboles.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bad for the league's image? Oh c'mon, sport fans don't care about the indiscretions of athletes. Let me introduce you to the NFL's arrest database; a league that earns $8 billion in revenue.
NFL Arrest-Database - NFL Football - USA TODAY

As it pertains to optics, sport leagues (NHL included) are far more worried about things like their employees 'taking a knee' during the anthem.
Right. The NFL is popular enough that they can mostly care less about things like this. Though it's finally starting to catch up with them.

Bettman and the NHL are trying to grow the game, to reach a broader audience. They've been making efforts to make it more family friendly. Having a wife beater with the gruesome details of Voynov's case does isn't going to help that cause.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Again, there are specific laws with regards to whether or not a criminal record can be considered when hiring. Generally speaking, if the crime itself relates directly to the line of work, then it's kosher. If it doesn't, then it becomes questionable. This is not to say the NHL itself cannot institute policies and guidelines with respect to behavior and discipline, but to permanently ban someone (meaning to forever forbid someone from earning a living) would venture into a precarious area where the NHL may be violating Slava Voynov's civil rights.

Especially considering the fact that he has no criminal record at all.

We are a nation of laws, fortunately, and even if the hordes of SJWs feigning moral superiority number in the majority (and they certainly do not), the laws still stand.
The NHL isn't forever forbidding Voynov from earning a living. He's been playing hockey in Russia this whole time.

Playing in the NHL isn't a civil right. While the league doesn't have a domestic violence policy it does have language in the CBA that gives Bettman broad powers for suspending players because of their off ice actions whether during or throughout the season for conduct that is against the welfare of the League or game of hockey.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
People really need to get off of their high horses. I have a family member, my sister, that had a event go down that was so bad with her former husband that he ended up in prison. He did his time, released, does that mean he can’t or shouldn’t be allowed to reform himself and still lead as normal of a life as he can? No he should be able to, the man is remarried and employed... etc etc... My sister and him are even amicable about the child they had together who is now a teenager. This eject everyone from society that ever makes a mistake by any and all means is getting extremely ridiculous.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Voynov WILL get signed. He is still a solid top 4 defensemen and will be fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

Did he do some awful things? yes of course. But maybe, just maybe, the last couple years have taught him to be a better person and change his ways. People make mistakes, often really bad/stupid ones, but don't tear the guy down when you have no idea if hes the same person he was back when he made the mistake of engaging in domestic violence.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Voynov WILL get signed. He is still a solid top 4 defensemen and will be fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

I'm not so sure he will. On a talent level, he absolutely should. But the NHL isn't purely competitive - the teams are just a vessel for earning money, and that means not alienating fans.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm not so sure he will. On a talent level, he absolutely should. But the NHL isn't purely competitive - the teams are just a vessel for earning money, and that means not alienating fans.

He will..
Teams in certain states will not feel the backlash that Canadian and big market teams would...
So I would say Midwest and Southern teams would be the target

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I can't see many fans boycotting their team if it signs Voynov. There will be 1 or 2 articles blasting the team and then everyone will forget.

Reactions: Flair Hay

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I can't see many fans boycotting their team if it signs Voynov. There will be 1 or 2 articles blasting the team and then everyone will forget.

Tough call. Certainly there is a witch hunting mentality these days that tries to paint people with a permanent shit brush for things far less serious than what Voynov did. A generally permissive and liberal society has surprisingly little sign of forgiveness, recognition of a penalty paid or what the victim might want. Janay Palmer married Ray Rice after the elevator incident and they remain together even though Rice as an athlete was destroyed by what he had done. Doesn't seem like they are having any issues today or that he is a candidate to re offend but he was dumped in the crapper by his league like tainted meat. Easier to bow to social media pressure even though it might not reflect your actual fan base. Rice was a higher profile athlete in a higher profile sport than Voynov and he is history. No effort to see if he is successfully in therapy or if he is a threat to act like that in the future. No consultation from the victim so she is also being discarded. If no NFL team is prepared to risk a media backlash for Rice, why would any NHL team do it for Voynov?

Don't get me wrong, it was a huge dirtbag thing that Voynov did, but it doesn't seem like anyone cares if he was rehabilitated or not. Is he a worse guy than Ray Lewis? It doesn't seem to matter if he is still a piece of shit, just that he once was. Easiest foe everyone if he just goes back to Europe. Then we don't have to worry if he is coming to our own team or not.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Don't really care either way. He's a punk who beat up his wife. If some team will sign him they will. Not the first POS to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Tough debate.

We either have a rehabilitation focus or a punishment one.

Reality is that convicts generally re-enter society. They have to be able to earn a living or else they are likely to reoffend.

This guy is scum. Focus from the Justice system should be on ensuring he NEVER abuses another person again. EVER. If he does that, he's got to earn a living some place. If he can't? Keep him away from people for as long as it takes for him to no longer be a threat.

If he can, he's got to earn a living. Maybe not as a pro athlete but I would expect someone to give him a chance in the sport he is trained in.

If he signs a contract, donate 80% of it to women's shelters as reconciliation for being a scumbag.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you read my earlier post I already gave my answer on guys like Hull. Just because we let someone slide 15yrs ago doesn't mean we should continue that line of thinking. If you got charged with assaulting a woman would your employer welcome you back?
As opposed to assaulting a man?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if ppl didn’t know, former all-star goalie sean burke’s nickname was the undershirt. he was charged and pleaded guilty to avoid jail time.

not only was he not suspended by his team (carolina), it also didn’t prevent him from playing for six other NHL teams over the next decade, nor did it preclude his continued employment by the coyotes and habs after retiring and as GM of canada’s olympic team last year.

not an argument for reinstating voynov, just giving context and historical precedence for how the nhl and other old boys institutions really feel about this stuff when huge media coverage isn’t going on.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Oh no, I see many fans saying they'll boycott their team if said team signs Voynov, but I see pretty close to zero actually going through with it.

Color me cynical, I guess. It's almost as if we have precious little control over what our favorite teams do.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Oh no, I see many fans saying they'll boycott their team if said team signs Voynov, but I see pretty close to zero actually going through with it.

Color me cynical, I guess. It's almost as if we have precious little control over what our favorite teams do.

Matt Cooke ended Savards career, took out Karlssons Achilles among many other things and Pens fans kept cheering the team on.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I saw he and his agent are currently trying to find a team in the NHL and that they won’t negociate with any KHL teams.

He would, of course, be a distraction but he is still a good hockey player.

Who takes the bait and doesn’t mind the distractions? Arizona, Nashville, SanJose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad