Rumor: Voynov cleared to return to NHL [Bill Daly says report is false]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Did her parents?

It's pretty common for abuse victims to 'forgive' their abusers.
While that's true to an extent, it's wrong to color forgiveness as "she doesn't know any better ". A lot of people forgive others because they love the person and the person changes for them.

The fact shes still with him can mean they've worked it out.

It's weird that people on here don't believe in second chances.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He won't play a game. No team will let a marginally good player bring such a distraction. Got to imagine that players in the locker room won't like him...add in the backlash from the media...he's never playing again.

I think you’re being a bit naive.

Reactions: deaderhead28

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Why would a foreign national, convicted of domestic assault, even be allowed in the country?

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
Heatly's incident was an accident, Voynov knowingly and willingly beat his wife.

Nobody got hurt in O'Reillys incident but I am all for him getting more punishment than he did. Not sure who Nashville guy is so can't comment.

Varlamov, Kane and Roy I have no issue with them getting harsher punishments at all.

Hull was over 50 years ago now not really sure that is comparably but yes he is a POS.
Varlamov was in court but even the best friend of his now exwife testified against her. It was all made up by her as a revenge for Him dumping her

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is pro sports, not a contest of moral turpitude. I suspect we'll see Voynov back in the NHL sooner rather than later. Don't really have an opinion one way or another if that's a good thing or bad but I do think he's a damn good defenseman. Hopefully ends up somewhere out of the Pacific.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes, but contextually I think it's a lot different:
Trying To Rebuild A Life

MacTavish killed Kim Radley during the 83-84 Season.

Drinking and Driving was still considered socially acceptable as late as 1978.
MADD was formed in 1980. It took several years for public perception to change on DUI's.

MacTavish's kind of came at the tail end of public acceptance for DUI. Pelle Lindburgh's DUI death kind of shook the hockey world more dramatically.

This kind of illustrates a better picture:
Drinking, driving in hockey: some traditions die hard

In Russia, it's socially acceptable that spouses fight physically. It's not like North America where there is a very sensitive light upon it so people are shamed. My parents said it was normal back there.

And if anyone knows anything about alcoholics, they can turn the nicest people to do some crazy immoral things.

I'm not saying it's okay but CONTEXT.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Id take him on the Oilers, we desperatly need a top 4 RD. But, Id only give him a contract if he shows true remorse/regret and his wife/family have forgiven him. Would also include a clause in the contract that makes them go to counselling twice a month something like others have said.

Kassian, MacT have both gotten second chances here, I'm open to giving Voynov one.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
So we are going with the two wrongs make a right argument?

The NHL shouldn’t use Hull and shouldn’t let Voynov back.

Right and wrong? Gimme a break. From a moral standpoint there's quite a few players who shouldn't and should not have been allowed to play.

However if a business makes their decisions based on moriality, that business is unlikely to get too far, especially in the entertainment industry.

Morality? Yea right. Welcome to the real world.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think the NHL would have a hard time re-instating him. This isn't the MLB or NFL. Media and fans will burn them and the team to the ground if he steps foot on NHL ice.

The NHL will reinstate him, so long as Voynov follows through with the NHL's disciplinary process (i.e. suspension) and is cleared for a work visa. There is a collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and Players Union--the NHL can't unilaterally ban him, they would most likely lose a grievance if they tried to do so.

Whether a team would want to sign him, well that's up to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad