Confirmed with Link: Volchenkov suspended 4 games

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Devils fans are so angry that he didn't get a longer suspension. :laugh: That's when you know the guy is a terrible player.

In my opinion, 4-5 games would be the bare minimum in a perfect world, but based on the inconsistency of Shanahan and co., I'm not going to make a big fuss.

Get well Brad

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Obviously this will never happen but i truly believe the player (who cheapshots) should be out as long as the player (who recieved it). is it strict? Yup...but it's the only way to get these hits out of the game.

Example:

Todd Bertuzzi just mauling that guy *idk his name* he pushed him to the ice and drove his head into the ice. That kid never came back. Bertuzzi shouldn't of been allowed to come back.

Another example:

Matt Cooke (wasn't suspended :rant:) but a hit like that.

Savard took a year to come back, Cooke should've been out a year. Once Savard comes back and plays in an NHL game, then Cooke can return.

Extreme but imo, needed

Actually Savard was back in a couple months.
Unless you have an independent team of doctors to examine the injured player this plan will never work. 1st line forward hits and injures 4th line scrub, 4th line scrub stays "injured" forever.

HereWeGoBRUINS92*

Unless you have an independent team of doctors to examine the injured player this plan will never work. 1st line forward hits and injures 4th line scrub, 4th line scrub stays "injured" forever.

oh damn, poking a hole in my theory haha. Really they need to make suspensions longer then. Something needs to happen.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Obviously this will never happen but i truly believe the player (who cheapshots) should be out as long as the player (who recieved it). is it strict? Yup...but it's the only way to get these hits out of the game.

Example:

Todd Bertuzzi just mauling that guy *idk his name* he pushed him to the ice and drove his head into the ice. That kid never came back. Bertuzzi shouldn't of been allowed to come back.

Another example:

Matt Cooke (wasn't suspended :rant:) but a hit like that.

Savard took a year to come back, Cooke should've been out a year. Once Savard comes back and plays in an NHL game, then Cooke can return.

Extreme but imo, needed

I know it won't happen but I think this really is the one of the few things that would get a player's attention with respect to cheap shots to the head & other places. Either this or fine them the equivalent of one year of their salary. After all money talks.

HereWeGoBRUINS92*

I know it won't happen but I think this really is the one of the few things that would get a player's attention with respect to cheap shots to the head & other places. Either this or fine them the equivalent of one year of their salary. After all money talks.

I love that idea. Money does talk! Take aways a years salary (donate it to concussion research) and in the process the puke will never throw a cheapshot again.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
4 games is about what I thought as well.

as far as the player being suspended as long as the hurt player is out. That works in theory but it is to easy to tamper with.

Say a star player elbows a 4th liner in the playoffs.

4th liner goes down and is "out hurt" the rest of the series so the star player is out as well. To easy for a 4th liner to fake the extent of the injury to help his team win by keeping the star player out.

don't think it could work.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

It would work. And it is also the kind of thing the league needs.

There's nothing right now that prevents 4th line scrubs from injuring top-6 players, even with the scrubs coming back. Fourth line scrubs will not want to end their careers like this, and it's a poorly managed team that would employ it.

The league could and would probably manage this. This is no reason to not impose this type of discipline. It's definitely called for.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

There's nothing right now that prevents 4th line scrubs from injuring top-6 players, even with the scrubs coming back. Fourth line scrubs will not want to end their careers like this, and it's a poorly managed team that would employ it.

The league could and would probably manage this. This is no reason to not impose this type of discipline. It's definitely called for.

there is a big difference between a 4th line scub going out and hurting another teams star player and the 4th line scub acting like his injury is worse then it really is.

A doc can examin him and he could say yes I still feel dizzy when he does not just to win a playoff series.

4th liner goes out and hurts a star he gets suspended without pay and is now considered a dirty player. He acts like his injury is still hurting he doesn't get labled as anything and there is no way to prove he is fit to play independent doc's or not.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
as far as the player being suspended as long as the hurt player is out. That works in theory but it is to easy to tamper with.

4th liner goes down and is "out hurt" the rest of the series so the star player is out as well. To easy for a 4th liner to fake the extent of the injury to help his team win by keeping the star player out.

Exactly.

Our hearts may be in the right place, but a disciplinary system of that nature would do more harm than good.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Should have been 10.

I have to agree with you completely. There are multiple things wrong with the hit. Volchenkov leaves his feet which under the rules is considered a charge and targets the head making it look like intent to injure because all NHL players have been told that the head is off limited unless by accidental contact on a full body check. Shanny blew this one and failing to create a deterent for other players. The NHL still hasn't learn from what happen to Savard. It is complete B.S. These headshot have to stop and I don't accept, well it was Marchand so he gets what he deserved crap either. I am a Habs fan and I don't like the way Marchand has gone over the edge at times in the past (no different than PK Subban) but that doesn't mean he should be intentally injured. He has to play around the edge to be successful but not cheap. Marchand is an excellent hockey player that any team would want. I hope he's okay and will return to 100% as soon as possible but not too early. The Bruins have to play it safe with him. Is Bergy being held back until the playoffs? He can't afford to have another concussion and a fifth might end his career if it's severe enough and that would be a shame for him, the Bruins and all of hockey.

I don't normally post here but I think Bruins' fans need to know that not all Habs fans are ignorant. If we don't like these hits happening to our players then we can't like it happening to other teams players and that means even when it's our team's player that is the guilty party. I just love the great rivalry between our teams and enjoy it when both teams are playing their best hockey and it's a passionate game! I find the games against other teams boring in comparison.

Good luck in the playoffs!:cheers:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I have to agree with you completely. There are multiple things wrong with the hit. Volchenkov leaves his feet which under the rules is considered a charge and targets the head making it look like intent to injure because all NHL players have been told that the head is off limited unless by accidental contact on a full body check. Shanny blew this one and failing to create a deterent for other players. The NHL still hasn't learn from what happen to Savard. It is complete B.S. These headshot have to stop and I don't accept, well it was Marchand so he gets what he deserved crap either. I am a Habs fan and I don't like the way Marchand has gone over the edge at times in the past (no different than PK Subban) but that doesn't mean he should be intentally injured. He has to play around the edge to be successful but not cheap. Marchand is an excellent hockey player that any team would want. I hope he's okay and will return to 100% as soon as possible but not too early. The Bruins have to play it safe with him. Is Bergy being held back until the playoffs? He can't afford to have another concussion and a fifth might end his career if it's severe enough and that would be a shame for him, the Bruins and all of hockey.

I don't normally post here but I think Bruins' fans need to know that not all Habs fans are ignorant. If we don't like these hits happening to our players then we can't like it happening to other teams players and that means even when it's our team's player that is the guilty party. I just love the great rivalry between our teams and enjoy it when both teams are playing their best hockey and it's a passionate game! I find the games against other teams boring in comparison.

good post. most of us Bruins fans do realize the bold but we have our share of ignorant fans as well. Evey fan base has them thats for sure.

I would say good luck back but I just can't bring my self to say it. :D

how about have a nice day instead.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I believe him. The hit looked like a hockey play in full speed. The replay showed how malicious and dumb it was. Not to mention Campbell was the closest guy there, who would also be one of the first to drop them for a teammate. I don't have any doubts that no one saw it right away, and then Volchenkov was already in the dressing room before anyone realized what had happened.

Also the ref was right there and had already pulled Volchenkov away before Marchand hit the ice. There was no time to exact any justice. That penalty and the ejection were already decided.

Sometimes it plays out that way. Also when a player is injured on the ice I still think there is a shock factor involved. Players are often numb and more worried about their teammate than playing hockey. I remember in the cup run after Horton was hit how awful the team looked during the pp. it was only after the period break they pulled themselves together and won it.

HereWeGoBRUINS92*

Well said! Finally a sensible Habs fan that respects the game and understands the game.

Its the greatest rivalry in sports, ever. I love being able to be apart of such a rivalry.

Last edited by a moderator:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
oh damn, poking a hole in my theory haha. Really they need to make suspensions longer then. Something needs to happen.

I think they should be more painful to the pocketbook. I also think a way to make suspension painful is to not let the team fill the roster spot for the injured player during the suspension. If being suspended 4 games means your team is short a forward or defenseman 4 games then the team's front office is going to be less tolerant of cheap shots.

HereWeGoBRUINS92*

I think they should be more painful to the pocketbook. I also think a way to make suspension painful is to not let the team fill the roster spot for the injured player during the suspension. If being suspended 4 games means your team is short a forward or defenseman 4 games then the team's front office is going to be less tolerant of cheap shots.

Another good idea.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

I think I heard this idea a while ago but I like it either way new or old. My memory is going but I like this idea either way.

did I say that already.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Also the ref was right there and had already pulled Volchenkov away before Marchand hit the ice. There was no time to exact any justice. That penalty and the ejection were already decided.

Sometimes it plays out that way. Also when a player is injured on the ice I still think there is a shock factor involved. Players are often numb and more worried about their teammate than playing hockey. I remember in the cup run after Horton was hit how awful the team looked during the pp. it was only after the period break they pulled themselves together and won it.

What are you talking about here, I'm confused. It seems justice WAS meted out. First by the referee and second by the league.

Could you elaborate please?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't think Ference is a guy that likes to have his loyalty to teammates questioned, he probably didn't have a legitimate answer to that. Usually you go after the player who did it and Volchenkov did a good job acting concerned and looking like just another player on the ice so the B's didn't know he was the idiot to go after.

The hit happened on the same side of the ice as the benches so the angle from the bench would have made it almost impossible to see. Campbell was coming along the boards and had the same parellel angle. The best view probably was Jagr's, who gave Volchenkov a poke, but by that time Volchenkov was leaning over Marchand, and I don't think anyone is going to start pounding on a guy when a teammate is lying there in a vulnerable position.

A similar situation happened to McQuaid a couple of years ago when he was hit badly behind the net and there was a crowd standing over him. Throwing punches or yanking guys around isn't a good idea when someone's injured on the ice and in close proximity to flailing bodies, let alone skate blades.

Last night it appeared by the time anyone knew what was going on Volchenkov was pulled away by the officials and sent to the locker room.

If Ference wasn't on the ice, he probably had no idea what happened. Some people will say something anyway in that situation, but that's not his way.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

It would not work. At all.

So if Seguin has a bad day and elbows some 39 year old 4th line scrub, rendering him concussed, and that 39 year old doesn't officially retire for years, you would be okay with Seguin never being a Bruin again?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I've seen that proposed and agree, it's a good idea. Make it hurt the team, not just the player.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
What are you talking about here, I'm confused. It seems justice WAS meted out. First by the referee and second by the league.

Could you elaborate please?

This was in response to some people demanding a bruin player on the ice fight.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
When a player is kicked out of the game, unless it's already a heated rivalry, nothing's going to happen. These teams never play intense games. Obviously if Volchenkov is in the line up next game something will happen. The lack of response is nothing to worry about. Who are they supposed to go after? Clarkson who had nothing to do with it?

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
4 games is about what I thought as well.

Or...what if the injured player misses no games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad