Confirmed with Link: Volchenkov suspended 4 games

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
It would not work. At all.

So if Seguin has a bad day and elbows some 39 year old 4th line scrub, rendering him concussed, and that 39 year old doesn't officially retire for years, you would be okay with Seguin never being a Bruin again?

The other reason it wouldn't work is sometimes a borderline hit can cause a much worse injury than a very dirty one. The hit the other night that concussed James Neal and the one last night on Marchand as examples. the Neal hit could be considered "reckless" and, currently, a 1-2 game suspension wouldn't be totally absurd. The hit on Marchand was blatant. If Neal's concussion is worse than Marchand's the guy who hit Neal is out for longer than Volchenkov, even though Volchenkov has a history and his hit was blatant and intentional.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
It would not work. At all.

So if Seguin has a bad day and elbows some 39 year old 4th line scrub, rendering him concussed, and that 39 year old doesn't officially retire for years, you would be okay with Seguin never being a Bruin again?

It would work, sorry. All it takes is commitment from the league. That, to me, is the biggest problem: the lack of spine by the league and the union.

Players do not want their careers ended, either by being checked into kingdom come or by their team mgmt telling them to pretend they are injured.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
It would work, sorry. All it takes is commitment from the league. That, to me, is the biggest problem: the lack of spine by the league and the union.

Players do not want their careers ended, either by being checked into kingdom come or by their team mgmt telling them to pretend they are injured.

if a player pretends to be injured for a few extra games to win a playoff series how exactly is that ending their career?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I believe him too, but the follow up question was something like "Yea, but he was just laying on the ice, why didn't anyone do anything?"

Silence.

I gotta say, I don't care that he didn't respond, I wouldn't expect him to. However, I'm really glad someone asked him because the guys need to know how the fans perceive them if they care about having a particular team identity.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
The other reason it wouldn't work...

Can't help but notice that many of you are all about the roadblock and not the solution. Are there players and teams who would try to cheat? Sure, but you address those on a case by case basis. If you find that someone or some team likes to pretend they are injured to remove star players, you take their job away. Work the problem to solution, don't throw your hands in the air and declare failure. That's turtling.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Sorry but you've had about 5 valid solid arguments against you as to why it wouldn't work.

For instance, what if the player (Marchand) misses no games. The offender shouldn't be punished?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I gotta say, I don't care that he didn't respond, I wouldn't expect him to. However, I'm really glad someone asked him because the guys need to know how the fans perceive them if they care about having a particular team identity.

One thing about Andy is that if he has to opportunity he will drop the gloves when he feels someone took a run of his teammate. We have seen him do it over and over though the years.

Probably the thing I love most about Ference. (well that and his finger)

Last edited:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Can't help but notice that many of you are all about the roadblock and not the solution. Are there players and teams who would try to cheat? Sure, but you address those on a case by case basis. If you find that someone or some team likes to pretend they are injured to remove star players, you take their job away. Work the problem to solution, don't throw your hands in the air and declare failure. That's turtling.

no its not turtling. No one is throwing their hands in the air we are just not agreeing with your solution.

There is no way to prove a player is faking injury. no way at all. when it comes to a player saying he is feeling dizzy or something and the NHL says you are faking it they would open themselves up to legal action.

We are discussing other options. One is to not let the team fill the roster spot during the suspension. This one I think is a great idea. Hurt the team not just the player. When the players own teammates feel the sting of his actions it will make guys think twice about doing it.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
I believe Volchenkov will miss more games than Marchand.

Jets fan here wishing a speedy recovery to Marchand. Volchenkov is a dirty POS and I was hoping for a much longer suspension. Hoping the B's finish strong (they were my fav team until we got our jets back). Go Bruins Go (until we hopefully meet in the playoffs :sarcasm:)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
One thing about Andy is that if he has to opportunity he will drop the gloves when he feels someone took a run of his teammate. We have seen him do it over and over though the years.

Probably the think I love most about Ference. (well that and his finger)

Definitely. No hesitation. I think that's one reason he wears the A.

jasonbaz77*

Definitely. No hesitation. I think that's one reason he wears the A.

I would never question Ference standing up for team mates. He would go after someone twice his size if he thought they took a cheap shot.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Way to address the content of my post, also, thank you for referring to me as a turtle.

Here are my suggestions for a "solution". A panel for reviewing incidents and handling supplemental discipline. A former player, a former ref, a league official, a PA official. continue with videos explaining how the decision was made.

Strive for consistency in the rulings, this is my biggest gripe with the current situation, i have no step-by-step recommendations for how to do this, but i'm not privy to the process anyway. Having a diverse, knowledgeable and transparent group making the decisions should help.

Increase the amount that a player can be fined, i'm not sure about the new CBA, but under the old one the max was $2500. That was a joke. Hit these guys where it hurts.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have to agree with you completely. There are multiple things wrong with the hit. Volchenkov leaves his feet which under the rules is considered a charge and targets the head making it look like intent to injure because all NHL players have been told that the head is off limited unless by accidental contact on a full body check. Shanny blew this one and failing to create a deterent for other players. The NHL still hasn't learn from what happen to Savard. It is complete B.S. These headshot have to stop and I don't accept, well it was Marchand so he gets what he deserved crap either. I am a Habs fan and I don't like the way Marchand has gone over the edge at times in the past (no different than PK Subban) but that doesn't mean he should be intentally injured. He has to play around the edge to be successful but not cheap. Marchand is an excellent hockey player that any team would want. I hope he's okay and will return to 100% as soon as possible but not too early. The Bruins have to play it safe with him. Is Bergy being held back until the playoffs? He can't afford to have another concussion and a fifth might end his career if it's severe enough and that would be a shame for him, the Bruins and all of hockey.

I don't normally post here but I think Bruins' fans need to know that not all Habs fans are ignorant. If we don't like these hits happening to our players then we can't like it happening to other teams players and that means even when it's our team's player that is the guilty party. I just love the great rivalry between our teams and enjoy it when both teams are playing their best hockey and it's a passionate game! I find the games against other teams boring in comparison.

Good luck in the playoffs!:cheers:

Excellent post.

And as far as I am concerned you sir are welcome here any time :nod:

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Same old, same old. Volchenkoc doesn't play the puck and there's a clear attempt to hit the head. 4 games? I think there's a lot of players who will be ready to knock down an opponent for an extended period of time; especially just before the playoffs. 4 games is a small price to pay to get ride of an excellent player. :shakehead

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Four-game suspension is laughable and shows that the NHL is still not very serious about ending dangerous head shots. I don't believe Volchenkov's statement at all. It was an outright dirty hit and he knew what he was doing. I know Claude didn't seem very happy today with the response of the Bs to the hit, but in their defense Volchenkov left the ice pretty quick and apparently not everyone on the ice saw the hit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Four-game suspension is laughable and shows that the NHL is still not very serious about ending dangerous head shots. I don't believe Volchenkov's statement at all. It was an outright dirty hit and he knew what he was doing. I know Claude didn't seem very happy today with the response of the Bs to the hit, but in their defense Volchenkov left the ice pretty quick and apparently not everyone on the ice saw the hit.

Amen.... One of the easiest hits they could have laid the hammer down on and blew it... Open season is alive and well.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Good call, but it doesn't really do the situation any justice

Suspending a guy that the Devils fans dont even want to play for 4 games hardly seems like enough compensation for losing Marchand

Sucks, but what can you do?

Ye Kovy should get the suspension to even things out

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
I wonder if Volchenkov is more worried about losing money during his suspension of next years mandatory Shawn Thornton bout to teach him a lesson and straighten him out?

Volchenkov is big but he doesn't fight, he would just grab on and turtle and probably not even take his gloves off

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Hits like last night make it hard to take the NHL seriously.

What's the point of the game when a guy can just take your best goalscorer off the ice because he feels like delivering a cheap elbow to the head?

That's not even mentioning the best forward (Crosby) and most exciting defenseman (Karlsson) are both out long-term injured.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Wow, I'm beside myself after reading so many comments here who think this is adequate punishment. This is a joke. This league is a joke .F------g BUSH LEAGUE is what it is .Concussions continue to happen at an alarming rate ,why ? Shanahan is no different than those who came before him. In fact he's a carbon copy. This has to STOP!!! How do you make it stop ,first offense 10 games ,second offense 20 games ,third offense 40 games ,next one your gone.

The player injured ends up with the most amount of games missed .The team losing the player get nothing in return .The offending player gets a slap on the hand, the offending team usually doesn't miss this type of player, in this case it wouldn't matter as this team is going nowhere.Where is the justice here 4 games makes it all OK,LOOK AT US in the NHL front office a righteous bunch we are ...get the f--- out of here!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad