Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Not surprised about the broken hands, considering the officials decided to stop calling slashes to the hands.

We know Schultz and Dumo were playing hurt too. I'm looking forward to more info.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I know it will never happen, but I wish the NHL would have a long sit-down this summer about the officiating. It's just wholly unacceptable on a nightly basis, all around the league.

Slashes, elbows, crosschecks, slew footing, punches to guys after whistles, etc.

It's a ****ing joke how bad this league's officiating has been for over a decade. Call it by the book, end of story. I read some leak about the NHL wanting to look into cracking down on slashes, but also not wanting a "parade of guys to the box." Well, ****, maybe guys will stop slashing if they're constantly going to the box for it.

That's the epitome of what's wrong with the powers that be in the NHL. They'd rather guys get chopped at, punched, elbowed, or whatever than to have too many penalties called in a game.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If they insist on letting interference go they could at least address all the stick stuff. This finals had two teams that were completely beat up and it showed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If they insist on letting interference go they could at least address all the stick stuff. This finals had two teams that were completely beat up and it showed.

I understand not wanting to over call interference, because like holding in football, it's something that could be called dozens of times a game and it should probably be left up to the refs' discretion (though it should absolutely be called more).

I just want the dirty, dangerous **** to be eliminated.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder if we'll ever know what was up with Dumo. Several reports about his back being ****ed up.

Can't imagine Geno was 100% either. Missed weeks before suddenly coming back for game 1 of the Blue Jackets series.

Have also heard Phil's arm is messed up, and if it wasn't for his ironman streak he'd have missed time too.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
At the very least, they need to get rid of all these garbage head shots. I'm so sick of those. Not only are they bad for the game, but some of these guys are gonna have their lives after hockey ruined by them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
At the very least, they need to get rid of all these garbage head shots. I'm so sick of those. Not only are they bad for the game, but some of these guys are gonna have their lives after hockey ruined by them.

It's pretty messed up that I'm hoping the concussion lawsuit burns the league to the ground because there doesn't seem to be any other way they'll learn.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's pretty messed up that I'm hoping the concussion lawsuit burns the league to the ground because there doesn't seem to be any other way they'll learn.

Oh, it will. The NHL is years behind the NFL with regard to concussions, and the NFL got taken to town financially.

The NHL's gonna get exactly what's coming to them in the lawsuit.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Hagelin had one ankle broken and the other one cracked... so another warrior for the Penguins.

And to see him out there flying last night ... wow.

Also, how exactly does Bonino play through 2 more periods with that injury? Holy ****. And he came back and took part in warm ups for what, game 3/4?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
So we have, Bonino, Horny, Hagelin and Cole. Anyone else have confirmed injuries yet? Shocked that Hagelin was as effective as he was playing on two busted ankles.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I understand not wanting to over call interference, because like holding in football, it's something that could be called dozens of times a game and it should probably be left up to the refs' discretion (though it should absolutely be called more).

I just want the dirty, dangerous **** to be eliminated.

Right after the lockout they called interference strictly by the book. As soon as a player chipped the puck by a Dman, if you slowed him up, it was a penalty. I think the league started letting some of that back in to limit head shots or injuries resulting from D getting hammered by dudes skating unimpeded from the blue line to the goal line.

I don't mind the slow up on dump ins, but the tackles and blatant holding/interference down low is ridiculous. The slash/cross checks are the worst though and if they are going to address something, they should start with that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I know it will never happen, but I wish the NHL would have a long sit-down this summer about the officiating. It's just wholly unacceptable on a nightly basis, all around the league.

Slashes, elbows, crosschecks, slew footing, punches to guys after whistles, etc.

It's a ****ing joke how bad this league's officiating has been for over a decade. Call it by the book, end of story. I read some leak about the NHL wanting to look into cracking down on slashes, but also not wanting a "parade of guys to the box." Well, ****, maybe guys will stop slashing if they're constantly going to the box for it.

That's the epitome of what's wrong with the powers that be in the NHL. They'd rather guys get chopped at, punched, elbowed, or whatever than to have too many penalties called in a game.

The thing that really pisses me off is that so much of it would stop fairly quickly if the players were afraid to do it. If a guy loses a quarter of his season to something dirty and next time it'll be half it's a big ****ing deal. If it's always a penalty or being kicked out of the game they'll do it less. **** won't escalate so much if the refs and DoPS are competent.

I wonder if we'll ever know what was up with Dumo. Several reports about his back being ****ed up.

Can't imagine Geno was 100% either. Missed weeks before suddenly coming back for game 1 of the Blue Jackets series.

Have also heard Phil's arm is messed up, and if it wasn't for his ironman streak he'd have missed time too.

Malkin also took a hit in the Washington series and looked off after. Rust had something up with his lower body for awhile going by how many times he went to the dressing room.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Right after the lockout they called interference strictly by the book. As soon as a player chipped the puck by a Dman, if you slowed him up, it was a penalty. I think the league started letting some of that back in to limit head shots or injuries resulting from D getting hammered by dudes skating unimpeded from the blue line to the goal line.

I don't mind the slow up on dump ins, but the tackles and blatant holding/interference down low is ridiculous. The slash/cross checks are the worst though and if they are going to address something, they should start with that.

For sure. As a means to slow things down to prevent catastrophic injury, I don't mind guys slowing things down. Like you said, the blatant **** needs to be called again though.

This "playoff hockey" garbage can end too. Call the game by the book and it will sort itself out later. Either guys will learn to stop committing fouls, leading to a safer and faster game, or the scoring will increase due to a ton of power plays.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So we have, Bonino, Horny, Hagelin and Cole. Anyone else have confirmed injuries yet? Shocked that Hagelin was as effective as he was playing on two busted ankles.

I thought it was weird that they kept calling Hagelin a "healthy scratch" when it was clear that he was not healthy at all.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Figured it was either ribs, shoulder or collarbone with Schultz. I've never broken a rib, but I've bruised ribs badly. Can't imagine working out, let alone playing hockey, let alone at a professional level with broken ribs. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wow these guys are animals. Sign Schultz long term right after expansion draft please. Hell of a job by him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wait, did Hagelin really have two broken ankles? If that's true it's the most impressive thing I've ever heard, and that's not hyperbole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad