Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Darren Dreger on TSN radio emphatically said "Trevor Daley had no business playing, NO business playing, because of the extent of the damage done".

Wow these guys are animals. Sign Schultz long term right after expansion draft please. Hell of a job by him.

This is why I'm a big advocate of signing Schultz and critical of people who say that wouldn't pay him $5M or 5.5 if need be. I thought he was very, very consistent this year and very effective on the defensive side of the puck. Remember that battle against Ovechkin in the WSH series where he cut him off at our blueline near the boards and prevented a possible breakaway? Even after he came back with whatever injury he had, he was very steady and consistent in the remainder of the OTT series and against NSH.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
How long does a broken tibia keep you out for? will Bonino be ready for the start of next season(assuming he re-signs with us)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How long does a broken tibia keep you out for? will Bonino be ready for the start of next season(assuming he re-signs with us)

After that injury and he's already a slow skater? i say let him go! he's earned a huge payday after helping us get back to back cups. He's a pretty clutch playoff performer too. Probably goes to Oilers just because his cup experience.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
After that injury and he's already a slow skater? i say let him go! he's earned a huge payday after helping us get back to back cups. He's a pretty clutch playoff performer too. Probably goes to Oilers just because his cup experience.
Yeah, I'm starting to think he's priced himself out. It's going to be a serious hit losing him and Cullen though. I like Rowney but he isn't even close to their class.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I know it will never happen, but I wish the NHL would have a long sit-down this summer about the officiating. It's just wholly unacceptable on a nightly basis, all around the league.

Slashes, elbows, crosschecks, slew footing, punches to guys after whistles, etc.

It's a ****ing joke how bad this league's officiating has been for over a decade. Call it by the book, end of story. I read some leak about the NHL wanting to look into cracking down on slashes, but also not wanting a "parade of guys to the box." Well, ****, maybe guys will stop slashing if they're constantly going to the box for it.

That's the epitome of what's wrong with the powers that be in the NHL. They'd rather guys get chopped at, punched, elbowed, or whatever than to have too many penalties called in a game.

There was that brief period of a couple weeks after the 2005 lockout, when they called everything by the book, then the old boys in charge decided they didn't like it, and that was that. There's one video from the league, in which they dole out punishment (maybe Staal's or Dubinsky's cross checks to Crosby's head - I can't remember which), they start the video saying the front of the net is a dangerous place. The rules haven't changed. They've gone from no contact to admitting the netfront is dangerous.

They'll never fix everything; I'd just like to start by figuring out what the **** is goaltender interference. That drives me crazy.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah, I'm starting to think he's priced himself out. It's going to be a serious hit losing him and Cullen though. I like Rowney but he isn't even close to their class.

It really depends on who we get to replace them and if they can be as clutch as them. Pens will probably take a hit from all that hockey they played and bounce early next season but meh, i wont even care.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Summaries, not quotes from DK.

@ Hornqvist. Broken finger on his right hand. Coaching staff said that they had to tape the finger to the one next to it to play and practice. Oh... and without a protective splint.

@ Schultz. Broken rib. Could barely shoot and it (shockingly) hurt to breath.

@ Cole. Broken left hand (early in the WSH series) and a broken rib (that wasn't as bad as Schultz). Funny side note, he didn't even disclose that until prompted to by his mother "tell them about the rib!".

@ Bonino. Broken tibia - still played 2 periods. Holly ****. Oh and he still managed to participate in a couple of practice sessions. Holly ****ing ****ity ****. Talk about a warrior.

No updates on Dumoulin or Hagelin or Daley.

Oh and I'll finish this off with a classic Pittsburgh Penguin problem.... Malkin. Suffered a bloody nose from celebrating too hard. :laugh: Never change Pittsburgh, never change.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Think we could get all the playoff injuries played through in the OP? would be nice to see them all compiled what all the players played through

I'll update everything on clear out day, which will probably be Wednesday before the parade.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Summaries, not quotes from DK.

@ Hornqvist. Broken finger on his right hand. Coaching staff said that they had to tape the finger to the one next to it to play and practice. Oh... and without a protective splint.

@ Schultz. Broken rib. Could barely shoot and it (shockingly) hurt to breath.

@ Cole. Broken left hand (early in the WSH series) and a broken rib (that wasn't as bad as Schultz). Funny side note, he didn't even disclose that until prompted to by his mother "tell them about the rib!".

@ Bonino. Broken tibia - still played 2 periods. Holly ****. Oh and he still managed to participate in a couple of practice sessions. Holly ****ing ****ity ****. Talk about a warrior.

No updates on Dumoulin or Hagelin or Daley.

Oh and I'll finish this off with a classic Pittsburgh Penguin problem.... Malkin. Suffered a bloody nose from celebrating too hard. :laugh: Never change Pittsburgh, never change.

Uniquely Penguins injuries:
Bloody nose from celebrating too hard
Upper body injury from celebrating goal
Upper body injury from whiffle ball game
Could not play due to bad sunburn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

As in blood from the nose or a cut on the nose? I got the impression from the radio commentary that he got a cut on the face from something thrown by Nashville.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Uniquely Penguins injuries:
Bloody nose from celebrating too hard
Upper body injury from celebrating goal
Upper body injury from whiffle ball game
Could not play due to bad sunburn

And Geno is two of them. :laugh:

iirc Letang got hurt at the team building thing one year. He was skating and hit a rut, but it's probably a good thing he couldn't help carry a rock up a hill.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As in blood from the nose or a cut on the nose? I got the impression from the radio commentary that he got a cut on the face from something thrown by Nashville.

It was a cut on the bridge of the nose that he got when a teammates visor hit him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

It was a cut on the bridge of the nose that he got when a teammates visor hit him. Or their helmet hit him and knocked his visor into his nose.

Either way a uniquely Pittsburgh injury. :laugh:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Just goes to show how hard it is to win and especially win the year after. They will have to pace themselves next year, but this is where experience matters. Don't waste your time winning presidents trophys and 15 game winning streaks in January and empty the tank before the dance starts.

And if you need a few days of rest for a small injury, take the time to heal up and rest during the season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just goes to show how hard it is to win and especially win the year after. They will have to pace themselves next year, but this is where experience matters. Don't waste your time winning presidents trophys and 15 game winning streaks in January and empty the tank before the dance starts.

And if you need a few days of rest for a small injury, take the time to heal up and rest during the season.

Yep, pace yourself. Maybe we get lucky and finish playing the Atlantic in the next playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad