Injury Report: Vladimir Tarasenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't see the need to rush Tank back into the game. This is his 3rd surgery. I would think extended time off building his shoulder strength would be good.

I'm not a doctor or trainer, so what do I know?
I'd be surprised at this point if we see him before March.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Hoffman was signed because Tank is out. He's played a better game of late as he settles in, but he's a healthy scratch when we are fully healthy.
There is basically zero chance that the front office spent $4M of real dollars in the midst of a pandemic for a guy who was intended to be a healthy scratch when Tarasenko returns. There is also zero chance that Hoffman was willing to take a PTO and then sign a 1 year, $4M deal without substantial discussions regarding his role on the team. It is not Army's style to blatantly lie to a free agent about having a spot in the lineup for 50-75% of the season and Hoffman would not have signed here if there was any reason to believe that he might be a healthy scratch when Tarasenko returned. Hoffman said all the right things about coming to a contender, but this contract was also about him being able to earn his next contract. He wasn't coming to a situation where his spot in the lineup had a realistic chance to evaporate a month or two into the season. He's been a 22-36 goal and 55-70 point player for 5 straight seasons. He had plenty of short-term options and was absolutely not signed as a 1-2 month stop gap who would be a healthy scratch once Tarasenko returned.

If Hoffman becomes a healthy scratch, it will be because he significantly fails to meet expectations. It would absolutely not be a result of our intention to just have him in the lineup until Tarasenko comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have no issue with the Hoffman signing, but I am not sure if I want him back next season. Perhaps if he would agree to a year to year situation, but I doubt he will be amenable to that. I will be pissed if he gets a multi year deal.

Reactions: Blues Knight

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
other teams will still factor in hoffman when they plan their defense. he at least plays on the third line. if he gets going, maybe you move him up.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I have no issue with the Hoffman signing, but I am not sure if I want him back next season. Perhaps if he would agree to a year to year situation, but I doubt he will be amenable to that. I will be pissed if he gets a multi year deal.

I really doubt he will be back next year no matter what happens. Him, Taylor Hall and others are probably betting that more teams will be willing to spend money next offseason, which no doubt played into their decision to take 1-year deals. I suppose if Schwartz walks then there is a slight chance he comes back, but I think both sides recognize it's a one-and-done situation. Hoffman gets a chance at a Cup and to raise his stock while the Blues get a potential 30-goal guy on a low-risk deal. Honestly, playing for Chief on this team could really help him become more of a complete player so hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
There is basically zero chance that the front office spent $4M of real dollars in the midst of a pandemic for a guy who was intended to be a healthy scratch when Tarasenko returns. There is also zero chance that Hoffman was willing to take a PTO and then sign a 1 year, $4M deal without substantial discussions regarding his role on the team. It is not Army's style to blatantly lie to a free agent about having a spot in the lineup for 50-75% of the season and Hoffman would not have signed here if there was any reason to believe that he might be a healthy scratch when Tarasenko returned. Hoffman said all the right things about coming to a contender, but this contract was also about him being able to earn his next contract. He wasn't coming to a situation where his spot in the lineup had a realistic chance to evaporate a month or two into the season. He's been a 22-36 goal and 55-70 point player for 5 straight seasons. He had plenty of short-term options and was absolutely not signed as a 1-2 month stop gap who would be a healthy scratch once Tarasenko returned.

If Hoffman becomes a healthy scratch, it will be because he significantly fails to meet expectations. It would absolutely not be a result of our intention to just have him in the lineup until Tarasenko comes back.
Yeah, I do not disagree. I noted that he would be traded or benched. Unless Cup champ Bozak is a 4th liner, traded, or benched? Tank probably won't be back until the playoffs, if even then. I don't count on him returning at all. There is also the possibility of other injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Looking forward to seeing Tank tickle the twine come mid to late March! I would guess to clear space without making a trade they would waive DLR and BOOM BOOM. DLR should clear. BOOM BOOM, I am not sure about, but we have the defensive depth to lose him and not miss a beat. I still think Army moves Dunn, can't lose him for nothing, so no reason to waive BOOM BOOM, who is gone after this year. The D corp of the future for better or worse is Parayko, Faulk, Krug and they will be protected.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I do not disagree. That's why in my original post in which a 'drama queen' was found by another poster, I noted that he would be traded or benched. Unless Cup champ Bozak is a 4th liner, traded, or benched? Tank probably won't be back until the playoffs, if even then. I don't count on him returning at all. There is also the possibility of other injuries.
Blais, Clifford, Sanford and Bozak all get benched before Hoffman.

Blais hits everything that moves, but he's not great defensively. Most his hits come on the forecheck. I like Blais a lot, but in his 88 career games he has 23 points, adequate possession numbers and plays about 11 minutes a night. I think he can grow in to more, but he is a worse top 9 player than Hoffman and it isn't really close at this point in their careers.

Clifford has been doing pretty well in his role, but Berube might pull him out of the lineup to slide Blais down to the 4th line.

Bozak's ice time was slipping and he wasn't producing when given the chance to play top 6 this year. He got less than 14 minutes in each of his last full three games played and was below 13 in two of those three. In his 7 games, he has 1 primary assist and 1 secondary assist. His possession numbers have been brutal this year in somewhat sheltered usage and they have always been just okay in his time with the Blues. He's been a sub-40 point player both years with the Blues, turns 35 next month and our PK has improved without him. He didn't show up at all in the playoff last year and has been outplayed by Hoffman this year. Hoffman has been a noticeably better player in each of the last several years. Being on the Cup team in 2019 is not going to put him in the lineup over a consistent 25 goal guy with 30+ goal upside.

Sanford is sitting on 2 points in 10 games this year and has absolutely brutal underlying numbers. He has proven that he can be on the ROR/Perron line and not bring them down, but he hasn't demonstrated that he can be an active contributor. I think it is more likely that he would slide down to the 4th line instead of being scratched, but he is not going to stay in the top 9 over Hoffman if we get fully healthy.

Hoffman is currently tied with Thomas for 6th in scoring among Blues forwards. He's 7th in TOI per game. He's not getting healthy scratched when Tarasenko and a pushing-35-years-old Bozak return.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Discuss posts, not posters.

"That is a pretty dramatic take" is discussing a post. "You are a drama queen" is discussing a poster.

These are not equivalent statements. The former is productive discussion. The latter is flaming, and it will be moderated accordingly.
Guys, please let me illustrate the difference:

“Blue font is the type of posts I find posted by drama queens most often.”

(J/k)

Reactions: Devonator

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Discuss posts, not posters.

"That is a pretty dramatic take" is discussing a post. "You are a drama queen" is discussing a poster.

These are not equivalent statements. The former is productive discussion. The latter is flaming, and it will be moderated accordingly.

That is a pretty dramatic take :)

10-4!

Reactions: Devonator

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Is this his first time traveling with the team since his injury? I would assume it is...
As far as I know, it is. I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but in this COVID environment I can't see a team being allowed to (much less willing to) take a player on a road trip who wasn't close to returning to the lineup. Bortz went on one trip earlier this year and ended up not playing, but he was back in the lineup a couple of games after the team returned home. We could really use a shot in the arm of "Good Vladdi" with Thomas missing until late March.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
As far as I know, it is. I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but in this COVID environment I can't see a team being allowed to (much less willing to) take a player on a road trip who wasn't close to returning to the lineup. Bortz went on one trip earlier this year and ended up not playing, but he was back in the lineup a couple of games after the team returned home. We could really use a shot in the arm of "Good Vladdi" with Thomas missing until late March.
I dont remember when Vladi is supposed to return, but man every time I see him take a shot or even a soft slap shot I cringe. I know he's probably healthy and back to good physical condition, though at this point I feel like he's going injure himself like he has the past few times he's come back. I really hope he can have a long career after this without any issues

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I dont remember when Vladi is supposed to return, but man every time I see him take a shot or even a soft slap shot I cringe. I know he's probably healthy and bad to good physical condition, though at this point I feel like he's going injure himself like he has the past few times he's come back. I really hope he can have a long career after this without any issues
Yea, I kind of wish that the Blues had just benched him for the season so he could focus on healing. As a Red Wings fan we had the Stephen Weiss incident where he was signed for big money, broke his hand, and then kept trying to play w/o letting it heal and it ended his career. The Blues have been fine and winning without Tank contributing, its best for both parties to get him to 100% before bringing him back.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yea, I kind of wish that the Blues had just benched him for the season so he could focus on healing. As a Red Wings fan we had the Stephen Weiss incident where he was signed for big money, broke his hand, and then kept trying to play w/o letting it heal and it ended his career. The Blues have been fine and winning without Tank contributing, its best for both parties to get him to 100% before bringing him back.
The problem is that every time he has come back, he has seemingly been 100%. Obviously scoring goals takes time; it took Steen weeks before he could shoot normally again, same with Bergy too, but you just knew Tarasenko would come back fine. And then freak stuff happened or whatever it may have been and he just kept injuring himself. Last year he looked pretty good (from my memory) and it showed with his ppg pace. Idk he was my favorite player when I was in high school and to see him be such a good goal scorer and to think that we could lose someone like that, it's just really disappointing. Not quite the devastation I felt when we lost Oscar Taveras (RIP), but I would feel awful for Vova if he had to hang em up early.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad