Injury Report: Vladimir Tarasenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Vladimir Tarasenko (shoulder) is on track to be re-evaluated in February, according to Blues GM Doug Armstrong.

Tarasenko is three months into his recovery from another procedure to his shoulder. He underwent reconstructive surgery on his left shoulder back in April of 2018 and he had a procedure on the same shoulder in late October 2019 prior to the one this past September. Tarasenko was limited to 10 appearances during the 2019-20 regular season and he appeared in four postseason matches prior to leaving the bubble.

Source: Vladimir Tarasenko - St Louis Blues - NHL

A few questions:

-When will we see him back in action?

-What will the lineup look like with Tarasenko back in the mix?

-Assuming the Blues made it that far, would he be back in time for the playoffs?

-Can he come back as good as before, or are his best days behind him?

---------------

He's easily my favorite current Blue and I think (just my opinion) a healthy Tarasenko puts the Blues back in Stanley Cup contention.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
From what I understand and I am by no means a doctor. If you get a dislocated shoulder it becomes easier for it to be dislocated in the future. I do not believe either of his last 2 surgeries were because of a dislocation, only the 1st one. I do believe if he rehabs properly he'll be fine but I doubt he will be his normal self this coming season.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
From what I understand and I am by no means a doctor. If you get a dislocated shoulder it becomes easier for it to be dislocated in the future. I do not believe either of his last 2 surgeries were because of a dislocation, only the 1st one. I do believe if he rehabs properly he'll be fine but I doubt he will be his normal self this coming season.
Do we know anything at all about what the most recent procedure was? I haven’t seen anything, but I haven’t been scouring the reports.

The way I understand this type of language in the NHL, being “re-evaluated” in February means he will be assessed as whether he’s cleared to practice/play. Maybe I’m reading that wrong. My guess is that he is likely to be cleared for practice in February and could return to play in March.

But it could be already 1/2 way through the season even if things go ideally. It’s a little hard to realize the regular season will only be 4 months long. If they are slower and more cautious, if he has minor setbacks, it’s not hard to imagine him missing the nearly the whole season.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Do we know anything at all about what the most recent procedure was? I haven’t seen anything, but I haven’t been scouring the reports.

The way I understand this type of language in the NHL, being “re-evaluated” in February means he will be assessed as whether he’s cleared to practice/play. Maybe I’m reading that wrong. My guess is that he is likely to be cleared for practice in February and could return to play in March.

But it could be already 1/2 way through the season even if things go ideally. It’s a little hard to realize the regular season will only be 4 months long. If they are slower and more cautious, if he has minor setbacks, it’s not hard to imagine him missing the nearly the whole season.

From a pure expansion draft perspective, if he misses the season he becomes exempt doesn't he?

I'm not convinced him missing the entire season and returning for 2021-22 isn't in Tarasenko's best interests, as it would allow for complete recovery, better conditioning and allow him to build confidence in his shoulder. It was months after he was cleared to play post procedure before he looked right on the ice. I'd think he'd look better given until October to prepare and build his strength and confidence in his shoulder back.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
From a pure expansion draft perspective, if he misses the season he becomes exempt doesn't he?

I'm not convinced him missing the entire season and returning for 2021-22 isn't in Tarasenko's best interests, as it would allow for complete recovery, better conditioning and allow him to build confidence in his shoulder. It was months after he was cleared to play post procedure before he looked right on the ice. I'd think he'd look better given until October to prepare and build his strength and confidence in his shoulder back.
Don’t think exempt. There are rules for having to expose guys who have played certain number of games but guys who don’t meet that can still be picked.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I don’t think there’s any way he’s better off missing basically two full seasons if he’s otherwise able to return sooner. Whatever the return scenario, there’s going to be a hell of a lot of rust to play through.

Reactions: Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Don’t think exempt. There are rules for having to expose guys who have played certain number of games but guys who don’t meet that can still be picked.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

It doesn't break it down in terms of what it would take to get that consideration, but this is Tarasenko's 3rd shoulder injury - if he misses the season (the injury threshold is prorated to 41 games), there's potential to fall into that category, no? One thing I've read is that the league is in charge of making the determination if a player is exempt - I haven’t seen what those criteria are.

Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Set For July 21

The league has already prorated many key numbers to benefit the Kraken. Capfriendly reports that the 40/70 games played requirement for players to be exposed for the expansion draft that started in 2019/20 has been altered. Instead of 40/70, the league has prorated those numbers to 27/54 games. The career injury threshold of 60 consecutive games played will now be 41 games missed.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

It doesn't break it down in terms of what it would take to get that consideration, but this is Tarasenko's 3rd shoulder injury - if he misses the season (the injury threshold is prorated to 41 games), there's potential to fall into that category, no? One thing I've read is that the league is in charge of making the determination if a player is exempt - I haven’t seen what those criteria are.

Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Set For July 21

The league has already prorated many key numbers to benefit the Kraken. Capfriendly reports that the 40/70 games played requirement for players to be exposed for the expansion draft that started in 2019/20 has been altered. Instead of 40/70, the league has prorated those numbers to 27/54 games. The career injury threshold of 60 consecutive games played will now be 41 games missed.
Interesting. Would think if he is expected back wouldn’t be exempt.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Tarasenko’s status here is a pretty big story. If he does start missing a big chunk of the season, I’d hope JR would be on top of this. But probably only if we bug him about it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It doesn’t matter if Tarasenko is exempt or not. We’ll expose him and he won’t be taken

ThunderCat

Feb 16, 2019
I honestly hope he doesn't rush himself back.. just because he misses hockey!
I love his enthusiasm... and really think he loves playing here, but hope he's not rushed into getting in the lineup "this year".

Especially if we're playing good, going into the playoffs.

Seems like that's what happened last year.. I'm sure he told the staff he was good to go!

I like Vladdy... but rest up and take your time.
Your future in hockey depends on it!!

Reactions: CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I honestly hope he doesn't rush himself back.. just because he misses hockey!
I love his enthusiasm... and really think he loves playing here, but hope he's not rushed into getting in the lineup "this year".

Especially if we're playing good, going into the playoffs.

Seems like that's what happened last year.. I'm sure he told the staff he was good to go!

I like Vladdy... but rest up and take your time.
Your future in hockey depends on it!!
This x100. I know he wants to get back but take it easy and do it the right way. When he comes back, we will be a playoff ready team and we can do some real damage

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
Tarasenko posted himself geared up and in skates on his Instagram story yesterday. The story itself has expired, but this is great news.

No one knows where he was skating or if he was practicing at this time.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed.

Hoffman-RoR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Sunny-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sanford-Bozak-Barbie

That's one way to do it. My only other suggestion would be Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko, only because I'd like to see what Thomas could do with a sniper on each wing. Then again, Sundqvist would be a nice compliment for Thomas/Vlad with his toughness and defensive play. With our depth, the lineup is going to look good no matter how you make the lines.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
That's one way to do it. My only other suggestion would be Hoffman-Thomas-Tarasenko, only because I'd like to see what Thomas could do with a sniper on each wing. Then again, Sundqvist would be a nice compliment for Thomas/Vlad with his toughness and defensive play. With our depth, the lineup is going to look good no matter how you make the lines.
That line should not be trusted to play any defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad