Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm going to the 3/27 game and want to know best time to arrive at the game (1 hour before?), how much is parking, and where can you wait after the game for Wild and NY Ranger autographs? Thanks!

Here's a post we made compiling a lot of relevant info for visitors.

Usually you can catch warmups if you get there around 6:20, but someone else can probably be more specific.

See the link for parking info. There are lots of options around the rink.

Rangers will probably be staying at the St. Paul Hotel; they usually leave around 4:30 I think. I've never heard anything about getting autographs after games; they usually leave right from the parking garage under the arena.

turbomullet

Jul 5, 2008
Things to do in Minneapolis

hey Wild fans.

I'm from Edmonton and I'm going to Minneapolis for a conference from June 4 - 10. I've been there once before and absolutely loved the city, but I wished I had done more research ahead of time. I spent quite a bit of time in the downtown/warehouse district, right across the river from downtown, around the University and in the 7 corners area. I also ran quite a few miles through the river valley.

The only thing I have confirmed so far is the baseball game on June 9 vs the Cubs.

I am going to be staying right downtown.

Can you people recommend:
1. Local Restaurants/Bars (please no chains)
2. Things to do in the evenings
3. Good shopping, other than the mall of america
4. anything else you can think of?

also, what's the best way to get over to downtown St. Paul for an evening? Is it worth checking out?

thanks, I appreciate any info you can offer.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
- Have dinner at Nye's Polynaise. http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

- After dinner, take a stroll down St. Anthony/Main and stop at a few watering holes such as Tuggs Tavern. http://www.tuggstavern.com/ Tuggs has an outdoor patio that has a great view of downtown Mpls from across the river.

- Oh, and a good watering hole for you to visit before/after the Twins game is Kieran's Irish Pub. http://www.kierans.com/

Last edited:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If you're into micro brews, there's several very good spots around that area. Both Republic and Town Hall Tap are on 7 Corners. Town Hall has an excellent IPA and Republic now has a fantastic selection (think they've got over 80 taps now, or so I've heard). By the Twins stadium, check out Fulton Brewery's tap room. Will be packed on game days, though.

As for shopping, you've got smaller, more higher end places around the chain of lakes near Lake Calhoun. Then there's of course 50th and France. Both of which would be an easy drive.

As far as checking out St. Paul, eh. It's an okay place to spend a little amount of time but you'll find a LOT more to do in and around Minneapolis than you will St. Paul.

turbomullet

Jul 5, 2008
thanks! I'm a big fan of microbrews, well, good beer in general, so I will hit up both of those places. I was at the Town Hall Tap last time I was there.

Are there any downtown breakfast spots anyone would recommend? that info seems to be lacking in this thread.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
thanks! I'm a big fan of microbrews, well, good beer in general, so I will hit up both of those places. I was at the Town Hall Tap last time I was there.

Are there any downtown breakfast spots anyone would recommend? that info seems to be lacking in this thread.

In that case, check out Surly as well. Republic and a few other bars will have it, but they're a great brewery.

As far as breakfast, I'm not much help. I don't make it out for breakfast much. Especially in that area.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just a thought for the regulars, what if we made this thread into more of a general "great bars, restaurants, and activities" that we do on a regular basis? I know we like to bump the beer thread or OT, but maybe it'd be more helpful?

turbomullet

Jul 5, 2008
just got home yesterday from minneapolis and I wanted to say thanks for the great advice, I checked out a few of the places that were recommended and was glad I did.

The Republic has great beer and great food, I went there twice. The burger was fantastic.
Had a few beers at Town Hall brewery - excellent beer.
Ike's - went there saturday for brunch and really wasn't hungry enough. Sooooo much food, but great.
Nye's - Has a reuben sandwich with pyrogies on the side, excellent. The decor in that place is great, I felt like I was in a 1960's mobster joint.

Also checked out Joe's Garage and a few other places (can't remember the names)

The conference had evening parties at some cool places, I got to see the Aria theatre as well as the Nicollet Island Pavilion.

The weather was unbelievable which made it tough to sit in the conference each day, but I took every chance I could to get outside. I started using those Nice Bikes to get around the last couple of days and I think that's a great program. I'd suggest that you guys add that to your blog post about Minneapolis.

I struggled to find somewhere downtown for late-night eats, in Edmonton we have donairs and pizza places everywhere that you can just grab something quick.

Also, I couldn't have asked for a better baseball game. The twins killed the cubs 11 - 3 and the weather was amazing. I don't think we'll see a day like that around here until late july!

thanks!

turbomullet

Jul 5, 2008
I totally forgot to mention the food trucks!
tried the twisted sisters house of hunger, I had a philly cheesesteak - AMAZING!
I also went to one of the mexican ones, it wasn't as spectacular. I wanted to try out a couple more but the conference was a bit far away to get back there for lunch, it was at the Walker Art Center.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
I watched the Minneapolis episode of Man v. Food about the Juicy Lucy burger. I want to get this when I'm in the cities for a Wild game next. Anyone here try it? How was it?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I watched the Minneapolis episode of Man v. Food about the Juicy Lucy burger. I want to get this when I'm in the cities for a Wild game next. Anyone here try it? How was it?

They're pretty much a staple of Minneapolis food and most all here have at least tried it.

The best, in many people's opinion, would be Matt's Bar. 5-8 Club is okay and offers a more varied menu and more of a restaurant feel. Personally, right now I prefer the Nook's (or a sister restaurant like Shamrock's) Jucy Lucy. Especially with the pepperjack cheese. They also have State Fair style cheese curds to make sure you go into cardiac arrest. It may be worth it... :sarcasm:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No question that Matt's has the best Jucy Lucy in town....just PLEASE remember to let it sit for a few minutes before you take a bite or you will really regret it.

:naughty:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I've never had a juicy lucy. Just does not strike me as something that I would enjoy. I've tried a lot of "cheese baked into the XXXX" products and the only one that's ever been any good is stuffed crust pizza. everything else ends up tasting terrible to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad