Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
Didn't want to make a new post or anything so I will bump this to ask my question. I was looking to rent a suite for a game and I was wondering if anyone has and what the price for one would be? That and any other information I would need to know would be great. Thanks in advance.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
OT - Visiting Minneapolis

Hey..

I am coming down for the game on the 16th next month(as are quite a few Jets fans by the sounds of it).

We're staying downtown, what are some places we should see/eat at etc?

Background: We are there from Thursday - Sunday. There are 4 of us of us, we are in our mid to late 20s. Don't really care about "clubs" so much as some decent bars or pubs.

Is there rapid transit from downtown to the arena?

And will I get beat up wearing a Jets jersey?

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Hey..

I am coming down for the game on the 16th next month(as are quite a few Jets fans by the sounds of it).

We're staying downtown, what are some places we should see/eat at etc?

Background: We are there from Thursday - Sunday. There are 4 of us of us, we are in our mid to late 20s. Don't really care about "clubs" so much as some decent bars or pubs.

Is there rapid transit from downtown to the arena?

And will I get beat up wearing a Jets jersey?

I'd suggest checking out our post on visiting for a game. I think that should answer a lot of your questions about what's in the area.

Also, are you staying in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul?

And, no, you most certainly won't get beat up for wearing a Jets jersey. Opposing fans rarely even get heckled at Xcel Center, let alone beat up. In fact, at the draft, the crowd seemed very friendly towards and even supportive of Jets fans. We're still pretty happy for you guys.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
I'd suggest checking out our post on visiting for a game. I think that should answer a lot of your questions about what's in the area.

Also, are you staying in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul?

And, no, you most certainly won't get beat up for wearing a Jets jersey. Opposing fans rarely even get heckled at Xcel Center, let alone beat up. In fact, at the draft, the crowd seemed very friendly towards and even supportive of Jets fans. We're still pretty happy for you guys.

I was mainly just kidding about the getting beat up part.

We're staying downtown Minneapolis at the Hotel Minneapolis(great deal on Priceline).

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
My Input

Minneapolis vs. St. Paul I'm a Minneapolis guy. Namely because it actuallyh as a nightlife scene for everyone varying on what you like to do. 1st Avenue (near Target Center/Field) has Shouthouse (dualing piano bar) and Kerians Irish Pub. Go across the Hennepin Bridge and you'll have a more low key setting with Nyes (Polka type bar) and you can take it to Gastofs (German food/beer). Go down Marquette for ritzy type settings like The Living Room at the The W Hotel (dress to impress) and Melting Pot. Hennepin Ave is more for the younger crowd of 18-24, so be warned now. Great specials depending on where you go

Where to Stay -- If you have never been to the Twin City area, I would strongly suggest the Radison near MOA. BIG reasons why:

1) It is next to the mall which has everything in it. So if you are bringing the family or even just the spouse, she can go shopping while you are out drinking at Hooters
2) Shuttle to the airport
3) Lightrail is right at MOA which can take you into downtown Minneapolis pretty dang cheap
4) If you do bring the kids, this is the place which has the waterpark inside of it. Keeps them busy
5) Pretty affordable and its big enough you don't have to worry about them not having rooms

If you want to stay in St. Paul the Holiday Inn is kitty corner from the Xcel or the Crowne Plaza is on the side of it.

Where to Eat St. Paul
- Best Burger -- Matt's Bar. Don't sleep on Shamrocks near the X.
- Best Pizza/Italian -- Cosettas if we're talking near the X
- Best "fancy food" -- You're going to Minneapolis for this, but go to Manny's!! Hells Kichen and Melting Pot are there as well
- Hockey bars Eagle Street by far. Tons of top shelf and good specials going on, especially on game days. Bartenders are extremely friendly and are FAST

Where to Eat Minneapolis

-Sushi - Seven Sushi is a dress to impress place and its spendy but the atmosphere is amazing. Wasabi off of Washington Ave or Oragami are more affordable and probably the best I've had in the city
-Burger 5-8 Club. If you're doing the Juicy Lucy...you need to do both Matts Bar and 5-8 and make the choice yourself which is better
-Steak Manny's Steakhouse. Its attached to the The W Hotel off of Marquette and 8th Street. Make Reservations, but the Filet is so tender you don't even need a freakin knife
-Best Menu Crave off of Hennepin and Lasalle. It is a little pricy, but not that bad. Amazing drinks and the menu will cater to any picky eater. Vegans and Meat Eaters rejoice
Best Pizza I'm a fan of Black Sheep down on University Ave. Its the coal type pizza and its good to mix it up a bit. Mesa Pizza if you go to Uptown or Dinkytown

[/QUOTE]

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I was mainly just kidding about the getting beat up part.

We're staying downtown Minneapolis at the Hotel Minneapolis(great deal on Priceline).

All right, then I wouldn't suggest trying to do mass transit to the game. Your tickets will give you a free ride, but the light rail line between Minneapolis and St. Paul (where the arena is) is under construction. That means (a) there's no light rail to the game and (b) the bus service in that area is pretty significantly disrupted by the construction.

fitzy0019

Oct 12, 2011
winnipeg
Travelling NHL fans

Hey Wild fans! heading to St Paul to check out my Jets play the wild next week. Sticking around for the long weekend. Where is a good place in downtown st paul to catch nhl games on the tube? (Jets vs Bruins friday Feb 17) Huge thanks guys! Really looking forward to my 3rd visit to xcel! amazing venue:)

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Hey Wild fans! heading to St Paul to check out my Jets play the wild next week. Sticking around for the long weekend. Where is a good place in downtown st paul to catch nhl games on the tube? (Jets vs Bruins friday Feb 17) Huge thanks guys! Really looking forward to my 3rd visit to xcel! amazing venue:)
First of all, welcome to HF!

Secondly, there's a lot of information in this thread which hopefully answer some of your questions but I'm sure others will be happy to give their own two cents.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I added the FRB link to the first post. You think maybe we should change the title and sticky this or something?

Also, it's been a while since I took a look at it. Anything you guys would change or add?

fitzy0019

Oct 12, 2011
winnipeg
First of all, welcome to HF!

Secondly, there's a lot of information in this thread which hopefully answer some of your questions but I'm sure others will be happy to give their own two cents.

Thanks for the direction! i doubt i would have found this page! very useful and informative. We checked out the Wild vs Flames last november and had an unreal time!!! but didnt get a good chance to leave the hotel due to time. This time we really want to get out and enjoy the city. Like i mentioned above, Staying in downtown St Paul, got thursday game night planned and good to go, but looking for the bes spot to visit to watch on friday night. i hear Alarys or tom Reids might be the answer to my question?

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Also mention that metro transit gives you a free ride to and from the X on game days if you have your ticket.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
just to confirm...i'm under the impression that there are no krispy kreme or dunkin donuts locations.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hotels near Xcel Energy Center

Heading to Twin Cities for Spring Break and would like to take in the Wild / Rangers game. I am somewhat familiar with Minneapolis but not St. Paul and I have never been to the Xcel Energy Center. I would appreciate advice on the following:
1. What family friendly hotels offer an easy walk to the XEC?
2. What is the best way to get decent seats? (ie Stubhub, Wild Ticket Office, Outside before the game, etc.

Thanks.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Well there's a Holiday Inn literally right next to the X. Depending on how much you're looking to spend, there's certainly more upscale options too that are close. But that Holiday Inn would be convenient (no idea on their rates) and I believe it's recently renovated.

As far as tickets, you shouldn't have much trouble finding some. I would just shop around StubHub and see if you can find a decent deal. The box office should have plenty of tickets to be had but of course you're paying full price. There will be plenty of people selling tickets outside but personally, I just tend to avoid that option.

Hope you have a good time!

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Well there's a Holiday Inn literally right next to the X. Depending on how much you're looking to spend, there's certainly more upscale options too that are close. But that Holiday Inn would be convenient (no idea on their rates) and I believe it's recently renovated.

As far as tickets, you shouldn't have much trouble finding some. I would just shop around StubHub and see if you can find a decent deal. The box office should have plenty of tickets to be had but of course you're paying full price. There will be plenty of people selling tickets outside but personally, I just tend to avoid that option.

Hope you have a good time!

The Wild do airline-style pricing now (tickets get more/less expensive over the course of the season depending on how popular that game is) and that's just about the most inflated price left in the season, so I'd avoid the box office. TicketExchange (where season ticket holders resell their tickets) looks to have some really good prices right now.

Also, if you're coming as an opposing fan, know that Wild fans are generally very friendly and welcoming to the road crowd, but also that you probably shouldn't show up in a Gaborik jersey. I think a "GABORIK 10" NYR jersey or a "GREEN 93" Stars jersey are about the only things people would get legitimately upset about at the X. (Show up in a Boogaard jersey, on the other hand, and I can almost guarantee someone will buy you a beer. :laugh:)

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
The Wild do airline-style pricing now (tickets get more/less expensive over the course of the season depending on how popular that game is) and that's just about the most inflated price left in the season, so I'd avoid the box office. TicketExchange (where season ticket holders resell their tickets) looks to have some really good prices right now.

Also, if you're coming as an opposing fan, know that Wild fans are generally very friendly and welcoming to the road crowd, but also that you probably shouldn't show up in a Gaborik jersey. I think a "GABORIK 10" NYR jersey or a "GREEN 93" Stars jersey are about the only things people would get legitimately upset about at the X. (Show up in a Boogaard jersey, on the other hand, and I can almost guarantee someone will buy you a beer. :laugh:)

Seriously, everyone loves Boogaard.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

Thanks everyone for all for the information. We are not Ranger fans, we are Jets fans followed by The Wild. My son will probably insist on wearing his Jets Jersey although I might try to convince him to wear his Twins jersey. I will definitely check out the TicketExchange as it sounds like a great option.
Thanks again.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Thanks everyone for all for the information. We are not Ranger fans, we are Jets fans followed by The Wild. My son will probably insist on wearing his Jets Jersey although I might try to convince him to wear his Twins jersey. I will definitely check out the TicketExchange as it sounds like a great option.
Thanks again.

If anything your son will probably get compliments on his Jets jersey. I went to a game with a friend who wore his Nordiques jersey, and everyone kept complimenting him and saying how much they hoped QC would get a team back. We're really excited for you guys up in the 'Peg, because we know what you guys have been through.

Certainly nobody would hassle him about it. :)

kbuhlin95

Sep 10, 2010
My husband and I are coming down to see flames vs wild this Sunday. We would absolutely love to get his Iginla jersey signed.. where is the best place to be/best time? We've heard from several others that Iggy loves signing autographs for fans at away games, so I figured I'd check in here. Thanks in advance! :)

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
My husband and I are coming down to see flames vs wild this Sunday. We would absolutely love to get his Iginla jersey signed.. where is the best place to be/best time? We've heard from several others that Iggy loves signing autographs for fans at away games, so I figured I'd check in here. Thanks in advance! :)

To my knowledge there's no corridor or anything accessible by fans where players go through before or after games, so you'd probably have to track them down outside the arena. They might exit on a street-level entrance, but I think it's more likely that they leave through the parking garage under the arena, unfortunately.

There's a decent chance they're staying at the St. Paul Hotel, so they might mingle around in the lobby there or (if the Flames win) some of the bars in the vicinity. Odds aren't great, though.

In any case, enjoy the inevitable Iginla hat trick. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->