OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

meliz112

Feb 6, 2018
Boston, MA
I'm debating between coming to Boston with my wife for a game for her Christmas present. I'm looking at either the NYE game vs Buffalo or 2 weeks later vs Toronto. The pros and cons are fairly simple. Being in Boston for NYE could be quite the memory, but it is way more expensive to rent a hotel on NYE. First look I noticed there is a $200-300 increase for hotel costs for the night.

I've been to Boston and TD Garden plenty of times, but it has been years ago and I have never been for a NYE celebration. What is there to do in Boston for NYE? I do have 1 criteria for anything NYE related. My wife has epilepsy and it has taken her ability to walk so we need wheelchair friendly suggestions without a lot of flickering video and lights.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not a New Years fan myself, but one thing to consider is that there will probably be a Fan Fest set up that weekend for the Winter Classic if that interests you. I also haven't heard if there will be an Alumni game, but that was my favorite part of the Gillette Winter Classic. Book restaurant reservations for that evening early, a lot of places only do a fixed menu with timed seatings for NYE.

Another potential con, Saturday night Toronto games tend to have a lot of Leafs fans. It might be even more than usual because that weekend is MLK and a lot of people go out of town.

Both would be fun though, so I say go based on what your schedule/budget will allow.

Reactions: Mongo

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
I'm not a New Years fan myself, but one thing to consider is that there will probably be a Fan Fest set up that weekend for the Winter Classic if that interests you. I also haven't heard if there will be an Alumni game, but that was my favorite part of the Gillette Winter Classic. Book restaurant reservations for that evening early, a lot of places only do a fixed menu with timed seatings for NYE.

Another potential con, Saturday night Toronto games tend to have a lot of Leafs fans. It might be even more than usual because that weekend is MLK and a lot of people go out of town.

Both would be fun though, so I say go based on what your schedule/budget will allow.
Is this event the Winter Classic Plaza? I just looked it up on the website and I wish there was some sort of event schedule. I'm assuming there will be one eventually. Would be cool to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. Also, I did a quick look on the map, and it looks like the City hall Plaza is sort of around the corner from TD garden. Fairly short and easy walk (assuming no snow to push a wheelchair through)?

meliz112

Feb 6, 2018
Boston, MA
Is this event the Winter Classic Plaza? I just looked it up on the website and I wish there was some sort of event schedule. I'm assuming there will be one eventually. Would be cool to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. Also, I did a quick look on the map, and it looks like the City hall Plaza is sort of around the corner from TD garden. Fairly short and easy walk (assuming no snow to push a wheelchair through)?
They haven't announced it yet. I looked at past years and they usually announce around the first week of December with the location and schedule.

City Hall Plaza is a good guess as to where it will be held. They just re-opened after a huge renovation today, much of which was making it more accessible. That was also where they held a bunch of events like the Lil Nas X concert before the 2019 Stanley Cup. Pre-renovations and pre-pandemic there was usually an ice rink in the plaza as well.

The 2010 fan fest was held in a parking lot near Fenway, but most of that land has since been developed, and I think they make more of a spectacle now days. I could see them holding it in Boston Common too.

The Stanley cup is there for photos. I got a lovely one in 2016.

Reactions: Mongo

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
Sorry guys, one more question to ask! I'm looking for a decent to above average restaurant near TD Garden that is within decent walking distance (again, I will be pushing a wheelchair, so I don't want to go too far, especially if there is snow everywhere). Nothing crazy upscale but somewhere nice to have a New Year's Eve dinner with the wife (so no sports bar like atmosphere). Is there anything nearby or should I look somewhere else? I plan on leaving our vehicle at the train depot in central Massachusetts and arriving in at north station. We'll be on foot the entire time. Might use public transportation if it is easy for wheelchair accessibility, which is usually not the case. Thanks again everyone.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Sorry guys, one more question to ask! I'm looking for a decent to above average restaurant near TD Garden that is within decent walking distance (again, I will be pushing a wheelchair, so I don't want to go too far, especially if there is snow everywhere). Nothing crazy upscale but somewhere nice to have a New Year's Eve dinner with the wife (so no sports bar like atmosphere). Is there anything nearby or should I look somewhere else? I plan on leaving our vehicle at the train depot in central Massachusetts and arriving in at north station. We'll be on foot the entire time. Might use public transportation if it is easy for wheelchair accessibility, which is usually not the case. Thanks again everyone.

I dont have a restaurant for you but check your transportation into town. Im in central mass and the trains go to South station. Not North.
So you’ll need to make connections. From South station to North station.

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
thanks…when I read Central Mass, I usually think Worcester area
I was born in Leominster and lived in Fitchburg and Winchendon before I slowly moved further west into the Berkshires and then to Vermont. But most of the things I would do in my late teens and early 20s was going from Winchendon to Fitchburg and Worcester. To me it feels like central Massachusetts. My apologies for the confusion. I plan on taking the train in from Fitchburg to North Station.

Reactions: Fenway

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I was born in Leominster and lived in Fitchburg and Winchendon before I slowly moved further west into the Berkshires and then to Vermont. But most of the things I would do in my late teens and early 20s was going from Winchendon to Fitchburg and Worcester. To me it feels like central Massachusetts. My apologies for the confusion. I plan on taking the train in from Fitchburg to North Station.

oh no, I apologize for assuming Worcester.

RuggerBruin

Oct 10, 2019
Hey everyone, I haven't been able to make the trip down from Canada for a game for a few years. I'm heading to watch the Isles on Dec 13th! With The Fours now closed, where is the best place to grab a few beers before the game near TD Garden?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hey everyone, I haven't been able to make the trip down from Canada for a game for a few years. I'm heading to watch the Isles on Dec 13th! With The Fours now closed, where is the best place to grab a few beers before the game near TD Garden?

The Hub on Causeway is new. Bunch of restaurants right there at TD Garden.

Reactions: RuggerBruin

RuggerBruin

Oct 10, 2019
Reactions: Ladyfan and jgatie

meliz112

Feb 6, 2018
Boston, MA
Amazing, thank you! I was crushed to see The Fours close, excited to check out The Hub though.
I like the HUB hall, but it doesn't really replace the Fours for me. Its more like a fancy food court and the tables are communal.

For Fours like sports bar atmosphere I like Porters, or a bit further away the Hill Tavern.

Not really similar to the Fours, but Nightshift brewery is a good choice too. The pizza is amazing (detroit style) and you can make reservations.

Reactions: RuggerBruin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Amazing, thank you! I was crushed to see The Fours close, excited to check out The Hub though.
The Fours closing devastated me.

1669882889131.png

The owner Pete Colton was a saint and the bar closing killed him a year later when he had a stroke at the age of 66.

In April 2020 Bob Ryan hosted this podcast as it became apparent COVID was going to be a long-term issue.

I miss the Bobby Orr

1669885558571.png

Last edited:

mongoschickendance

Sep 30, 2010
Hello Bruins fan, I am visiting Boston February 18th for the Bruins vs Isles game. It's my son's first away game. Is it possible for us to go to the boards and watch the teams practice. Also looking for good family friendly pub before or after the game. Any referrals would be awesome.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hello Bruins fan, I am visiting Boston February 18th for the Bruins vs Isles game. It's my son's first away game. Is it possible for us to go to the boards and watch the teams practice. Also looking for good family friendly pub before or after the game. Any referrals would be awesome.

Practice or warmups? For warmups you can go down to the boards and watch. Marchand and Pasta usually throw pucks over the glass near the Bruins bench or near the Zamboni . . . errrr . . . ice resurfacer doors. After warmups are over, there's plenty of time to get in your seats for the game.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
For a family friendly pub are you looking for something in the immediate Garden area? West End Johnnies would work and they take reservations so that you can make a reservation for before or after the game. Although I think they turn into a nightclub on weekend nights and that is a 5:00pm game so you might want to call them to find out if they are still a restaurant after the game.

Couple of other places that will take a reservation is A&B Kitchen and Nightshift Brewing Company. I would put both of those places in the family friendly category.

Porters Bar And Grill is also good but they don't take reservations.

If you don't need a pub type place then you are walking distance from the North End italian section where you can fall into almost any restaurant and have a good meal, including the best pizza in Boston at Reggina Pizza.

Reactions: mongoschickendance

mongoschickendance

Sep 30, 2010
For a family friendly pub are you looking for something in the immediate Garden area? West End Johnnies would work and they take reservations so that you can make a reservation for before or after the game. Although I think they turn into a nightclub on weekend nights and that is a 5:00pm game so you might want to call them to find out if they are still a restaurant after the game.

Couple of other places that will take a reservation is A&B Kitchen and Nightshift Brewing Company. I would put both of those places in the family friendly category.

Porters Bar And Grill is also good but they don't take reservations.

If you don't need a pub type place then you are walking distance from the North End italian section where you can fall into almost any restaurant and have a good meal, including the best pizza in Boston at Reggina Pizza.

Thank you for your reply.

Practice or warmups? For warmups you can go down to the boards and watch. Marchand and Pasta usually throw pucks over the glass near the Bruins bench or near the Zamboni . . . errrr . . . ice resurfacer doors. After warmups are over, there's plenty of time to get in your seats for the game.
Thank you for answering. I was talking about warmups.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Hey guys, going to the game tomorrow. I’m thinking of getting on the T at Riverside. It says that it takes you to the North station. Am I correct?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hey guys, going to the game tomorrow. I’m thinking of getting on the T at Riverside. It says that it takes you to the North station. Am I correct?

Riverside to North Station is Green Line all the way. You may need to switch trains if you get on one that doesn't go all the way to North Station (some only go to Government Center), but they'll be along shortly.

Reactions: chizzler

styl

Jun 22, 2006
Halifax
After 34 I am finally going to my first Bruins game in Boston Feb 11th ! Was a gift from my gf. First time in Boston and wondering what are some cool attractions to visit ? I have reservations at Night Shift prior to the game. Looking for a nice restaurant for after or on the Friday night. Flying in Friday morning from Halifax Nova Scotia and coming back Monday. Also staying close by to the rink.

Reactions: Ladyfan and sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad