OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hi guys, Staying at the Sheraton on Dalton street with the wife and teenaged kids who have tickets to a show at MGM at Fenway. Just wondering if it's safe to walk back to the hotel after the evening concert. Thanks in advance.

Ditto above. Fenway to Copley is a short walk and through some of the safest areas of Boston. College kids, shopping, and very expensive rents.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
Just booked a cruise from Quebec city to Boston. We get in September 15. Wondering what area would be best to stay in? Looking for somewhere we can walk most places. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
We are staying in Seaport, curious best restaurants around there?
Ask your hotel to recommend places but here is a short list.

If you are looking for high end then Del Frisco's Steak House. Very expensive.

Legal Seafood, a little expensive but good seafood meals. They might have outdoor seating but not sure.

Rosa Mexicano is a decent, mid priced mexican restaurant with outdoor seating if it is nice out.

If you don't need a fancy place to eat then Yankee Lobster is counter service with tables to sit at and has one of the best lobster rolls in the city.

If it is nice enough to sit outside then 75 On Liberty Wharf and Tony C's Sports Bar has nice outdoor seating. The food is average at both places so the outdoor seating on the wharf is the selling point.

If you want italian then you are a couple of miles from the North End. Maybe a 30 minute walk if you are capable of that or you can Uber, Taxi, or take the subway. I like Giacomo's, Panza, Tratoria Il Panino, Beneventos, Antico Forno. For pizza Regina Pizzeria. It's hard to find a bad restaurant in the North End so walk around and pick a place. Be sure to leave room for dessert and go to Mike's Pastry, Modern Pastry, or Bova's. Mike's and Modern are more touristy and usually very busy, Bova's is just as good but usually less crowded.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
Ask your hotel to recommend places but here is a short list.

If you are looking for high end then Del Frisco's Steak House. Very expensive.

Legal Seafood, a little expensive but good seafood meals. They might have outdoor seating but not sure.

Rosa Mexicano is a decent, mid priced mexican restaurant with outdoor seating if it is nice out.

If you don't need a fancy place to eat then Yankee Lobster is counter service with tables to sit at and has one of the best lobster rolls in the city.

If it is nice enough to sit outside then 75 On Liberty Wharf and Tony C's Sports Bar has nice outdoor seating. The food is average at both places so the outdoor seating on the wharf is the selling point.

If you want italian then you are a couple of miles from the North End. Maybe a 30 minute walk if you are capable of that or you can Uber, Taxi, or take the subway. I like Giacomo's, Panza, Tratoria Il Panino, Beneventos, Antico Forno. For pizza Regina Pizzeria. It's hard to find a bad restaurant in the North End so walk around and pick a place. Be sure to leave room for dessert and go to Mike's Pastry, Modern Pastry, or Bova's. Mike's and Modern are more touristy and usually very busy, Bova's is just as good but usually less crowded.
Thanks for all the recommendations, we are used to walking so will probably go to the North End; where we live in Canada doesn't really have too many good Italian food restaurants so will be sure take advantage of that.

SheDrivesMeKrejci

Feb 20, 2019
Hey all! My wife and I are heading to Boston over the September 10th weekend to catch a Sox game and do some sight seeing for our one year wedding anniversary. As a die hard Bruins fan, I’ve been to Boston years ago although was curious if anyone could make some recommendations for things we should see or do? Our list right now consists of seeing Harvard, tour of Fenway, local museums and the game. Also, we’re staying in the North End too, so any restaurant recommendations would be welcomed as I’d love to make a reservation or two. We’re heading in from Ontario, Canada as Jays fans although we’ll be fully supporting the Sox as they (hopefully) stomp those Orioles. Thanks so much, everyone!

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Hey all! My wife and I are heading to Boston over the September 10th weekend to catch a Sox game and do some sight seeing for our one year wedding anniversary. As a die hard Bruins fan, I’ve been to Boston years ago although was curious if anyone could make some recommendations for things we should see or do? Our list right now consists of seeing Harvard, tour of Fenway, local museums and the game. Also, we’re staying in the North End too, so any restaurant recommendations would be welcomed as I’d love to make a reservation or two. We’re heading in from Ontario, Canada as Jays fans although we’ll be fully supporting the Sox as they (hopefully) stomp those Orioles. Thanks so much, everyone!

Get lunch at Umberto's in the North End. Only open during the week, get there by 11, cafeteria style, get literally everything. I'm serious, get at least one of everything. It'll all hold.

Boston is so walkable and surprisingly small you'll laugh. Hit up everything. Start in the North End, go to downtown, Boston Public Gardens, NEwberry St, everywhere. Just walk around and enjoy everything.

Hawgood_38

Season Tix since '97
Sep 3, 2002
Pumping tires
Visit site
You can try Ray Bourque's restaurant, Tresca, on Hanover Street in the North End though the wife and I prefer Lucca across the street. That's where we saw Ovechkin sitting across from us with some teammates about 8 years ago. He ordered spaghetti with ketchup (not pasta sauce), but our waiter said that what he gets all the time. We also like Mare (if you like seafood) which is also right there.

By Fenway Park, though a 8-10 minute walk is the Corner Tavern which you should try the Old Bay Wings. Simply fantastic! as are the pretzel appetizers.

But to Mike's point, the city is VERY walkable so don't feel the need to take a taxi/uber/subway if the weather's nice and you like to walk. Lots to see and enjoy!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Get lunch at Umberto's in the North End. Only open during the week, get there by 11, cafeteria style, get literally everything. I'm serious, get at least one of everything. It'll all hold.

Boston is so walkable and surprisingly small you'll laugh. Hit up everything. Start in the North End, go to downtown, Boston Public Gardens, NEwberry St, everywhere. Just walk around and enjoy everything.

We don't talk about Umberto, Michael. It's crowded enough.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Thanks for all the recommendations, we are used to walking so will probably go to the North End; where we live in Canada doesn't really have too many good Italian food restaurants so will be sure take advantage of that.
If I may add one for you in the North End: La Famiglia Giorgio. It's our go to spot every time we are back in Boston. And I second Bossfan's recommendation on dessert. It's often said that tourists go to Mike, and locals go to Modern. But residents go to Bova's. On the plus side, it's right up the street from la Famiglia Giorgios.

See my post above for my thoughts! Also, we really loved the one meal we had a Tresca - Ray Bourque's restaurant. Had a great conversation with the chef, and he loved that we were Bruins fans.

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
20230916_143640.jpg
20230916_144457.jpg

Enjoying the afternoon, walking around, also have pic with flying Bobby
20230916_140147.jpg

Grumpy Grizz

Feb 27, 2002
Comox, Vancouver Island.
I just want to thank everyone for their advice, my wife and I loved Boston, clean, architecture was amazing, such a cool mix of old and new buildings together, quite a bit of it was flat so easy to walk. As we live on an island, Boston being on the water also makes it attractive. I think we will be visiting your beautiful city again in the near future.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I'll be up there in October. Got suite tickets to see the Celtics vs Knicks in preseason.

Will be up there all week for work, staying at the Omni Seaport, so definitely excited to see the barn.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm sure this has been posted but where can you leave a bag near TD Garden while you go into the game? I want to go to the Isles game from Logan after I get back from my work trip Thurs afternoon and will need to leave my roller duffel somewhere.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm sure this has been posted but where can you leave a bag near TD Garden while you go into the game? I want to go to the Isles game from Logan after I get back from my work trip Thurs afternoon and will need to leave my roller duffel somewhere.

Sullivan's Tap. As secure as a bank vault. Anybody stealing a bag from Sully's ain't making it out alive. Otherwise, there's luggage storage at the Greyhound desk at South Station.

ETA - There's now this place:

Last edited:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Hey all. My brother from TX is flying into Boston on 2/28 but staying in Worcester. He wants to go the the B's vs Las Vegas game but doesn't want to drive into the city. Any suggestions ? He will have a rental car.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hey all. My brother from TX is flying into Boston on 2/28 but staying in Worcester. He wants to go the the B's vs Las Vegas game but doesn't want to drive into the city. Any suggestions ? He will have a rental car.

Drive to the nearest T station, then take the T to North Station.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Drive to the nearest T station, then take the T to North Station.
100x this.

Be sure to check the T website regularly for any announcements, schedule changes, closures ect. Also, if he plans to take the commuter rail, be sure that he downloads the appropriate app for that. He'll also need the appropriate parking app to park at the station. Most places are discounted after 5 or a reduced rate on the weekends.

They have a visitor guide as well.

The T may be an absolute dumpster fire but I'd rather deal with the T than Boston traffic and parking prices.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
looking to come up agian to see the Bruins in March and looking at two hotels near Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Harborside Inn Of Boston

The Bostonian Boston​

any Thoughts

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
This might be a little early but I'm hoping to attend the Boston Career Forum, which usually takes place during a weekend in November at the Hynes Convention Center.

Do you have any suggestions for nearby hotels to stay at?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hey all, I’m going to the habs game on Thursday coming from the springfield area

I get up at 6 am for work the next day so I’m trying to get back after the game as quickly as possible. One of the last times I went to a game I was able to get home by 11, I can’t for the life of me remember where I parked though. I want to say it was a garage nearby because shelling out to park at the garden doesn’t sound like me 😅

My sister mentioned taking a train a few times but that just feels like it’ll take longer, even if I park at a station just outside the busier areas and take a train after

If anyone has any recommendations on where to Park that I could get home as quickly as possible that would be lovely

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hey all, I’m going to the habs game on Thursday coming from the springfield area

I get up at 6 am for work the next day so I’m trying to get back after the game as quickly as possible. One of the last times I went to a game I was able to get home by 11, I can’t for the life of me remember where I parked though. I want to say it was a garage nearby because shelling out to park at the garden doesn’t sound like me 😅

My sister mentioned taking a train a few times but that just feels like it’ll take longer, even if I park at a station just outside the busier areas and take a train after

If anyone has any recommendations on where to Park that I could get home as quickly as possible that would be lovely

@KnightofBoston The game on Thursday is in MONTREAL

• Wow
Reactions: KnightofBoston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad