OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Two museums that are under the radar but world class are the Fogg Art Museum and the Museum of Natural History, both at Harvard. The Fogg is my favorite small museum in the area. Also check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Stunning collection, and the scene of one of the greatest art heists in history.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
For a beautiful building in Boston you could not do better than Trinity Church in Copley Square. Magnificent stained glass windows and a great organ. And being there on Easter is even more inspirational.

The Museum of Fine Arts has brought a temporary exhibition of Monet to add to its outstanding existing collection of French Impressionist works.

Not sure if the Boston Pops season would begin at that time, but, if, so, it is a worthwhile undertaking. If not, the BSO may still be in session. Same location, Symphony Hall.

We haven't been to Trinity before so we'll be sure to check that out. Monet is a favorite of mine. Had a look and unfortunately the exhibition doesn't start until just after we're there, but as you say the MFA definitely already has a great permanent collection so we're going anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Two museums that are under the radar but world class are the Fogg Art Museum and the Museum of Natural History, both at Harvard. The Fogg is my favorite small museum in the area. Also check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Stunning collection, and the scene of one of the greatest art heists in history.

We thought we might go for a wander around Harvard, so will keep those in mind. And I've heard of the Isabella Stewart, but have never really known too much about it, other than the theft. Shall have a look into it. Thanks!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We thought we might go for a wander around Harvard, so will keep those in mind. And I've heard of the Isabella Stewart, but have never really known too much about it, other than the theft. Shall have a look into it. Thanks!

Since Ms. Gardner insisted every piece be left where she placed it and never moved, there are empty frames where the stolen works once were. It's haunting, really. But the museum is actually far more than the theft. I highly suggest it, just for the grounds, never mind the art.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Since Ms. Gardner insisted every piece be left where she placed it and never moved, there are empty frames where the stolen works once were. It's haunting, really. But the museum is actually far more than the theft. I highly suggest it, just for the grounds, never mind the art.
Not only the grounds but the Great Hall is impressive, too. Often times it features a chamber music combo to add to your perusals. With the ISG so close to the MFA you can do two in one day.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

meliz112

Feb 6, 2018
Boston, MA

I third this recommendation. I love the Harvard Museum of Natural History. It's never been at all crowded when I've gone, and I could spend hours just in the glass flowers. It's connected to the Peabody museum, so one ticket gets you into both.

You should also check out Top of the Hub for a drink. It's closing forever April 18, but it has the best view of the city. Food is mediocre, but a drink at the bar is less than paying for a "skydeck" ticket.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
A colleague recommended the Mapparium. It’s on my list for my next trip to Boston. $6

Mapparium

a three-story-tall, inside-out stained-glass globe that is bisected in the middle by a glass walkway. Once illuminated with hundreds of lamps, today it glows with the light of LEDs.
The Mapparium gives you a rare chance to see the world in a way that doesn’t distort the surface of the Earth. Even when looking at an accurate globe, the relative sizes of the continents are distorted by perspective, as the spherical shape causes different regions to appear at different distances from the eye. But with a view from the very center of a globe, looking out, the eye is the same distance from every point on the map.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We haven't been to Trinity before so we'll be sure to check that out. Monet is a favorite of mine. Had a look and unfortunately the exhibition doesn't start until just after we're there, but as you say the MFA definitely already has a great permanent collection so we're going anyway. Thanks for the advice!
If you’re at Trinity Church during the week, give a shout. I work across the street and would love to say hi time permitting

Reactions: sooshii

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Just arrived in Boston with my wife - 3 adult children and friends. 10 of us going to Tampa-Boston Saturday. Staying at an air BnB in Allston. Great old house on Everett.
Housing all 10 of us. The gang is almost all here....

Question... "The Politically Incorrect Food tour". Anyone else know of this?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Just arrived in Boston with my wife - 3 adult children and friends. 10 of us going to Tampa-Boston Saturday. Staying at an air BnB in Allston. Great old house on Everett.
Housing all 10 of us. The gang is almost all here....

Question... "The Politically Incorrect Food tour". Anyone else know of this?
Never heard of it but a quick google seems to indicate it's very well liked (a legit 5 based on 400+ reviews on trip advisor is pretty nuts).

Lot's to do and eat in the area you are. Many of the places are small by Allston/Brighton is kind of the hipster area of Boston and there's tons of great food (and variety). I lived in Brighton (basically across from the new practice rink) for 5 years; miss the hell out of the area but I needed to get out of the city. And it looks like the weather is going to be nice, March is a crap shoot a lot of the time.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Looking for recommendations for the best Italian restaurant(s) in the North End. Any help would be appreciated!

member 157595

Out of curiosity, how much has the overall activity level dropped since the COVID-19 outbreak where you guys/girls/whatevers live?

I live in Winchester and while the overall traffic is much less than normal there's still more people walking on the sidewalks (by suburb standards, anyway) than I expected, especially when the weather's good. Everyone keeps their distance but they still go outside.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Out of curiosity, how much has the overall activity level dropped since the COVID-19 outbreak where you guys/girls/whatevers live?

I live in Winchester and while the overall traffic is much less than normal there's still more people walking on the sidewalks (by suburb standards, anyway) than I expected, especially when the weather's good. Everyone keeps their distance but they still go outside.

I live near popular walking/hiking/running trails in the Fells (Malden, melrose, Stoneham) and there’s always tons of cars.

I’m a runner and am not comfortable running right now, mostly because I hate running with anything covering my face. I get too hot.

member 157595

I live near popular walking/hiking/running trails in the Fells (Malden, melrose, Stoneham) and there’s always tons of cars.

I’m a runner and am not comfortable running right now, mostly because I hate running with anything covering my face. I get too hot.

Yeah that's consistent with my experiences.

I'm not comfortable running right now either, but for me it's because I'm in horrific cardiovascular shape and every step I take reminds me of that fact.

Reactions: Kate08

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
If I’m a fan of hockey / sports in general, any good bars / spots to eat with good views or memorabilia?

The Fours has great memorabilia....

bunch of solid bars around the garden like Hurrican O'reillys and The Greatest Bar (The Fours is also in the same area)....

Bars with views I'm sure there are some but I'm more familiar with the garden area then all of Boston so I'll let other comment on that

Reactions: Cowumbus

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If I’m a fan of hockey / sports in general, any good bars / spots to eat with good views or memorabilia?

In Boston? All bars are closed. Only eating establishments can serve liquor. The Fours has good memorabilia. The best views I know are at the Granite Links, just south of Boston in Quincy. At the top of the old Quincy quarries, it gives a stunning view of the Boston skyline unmatched by very few.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
In Boston? All bars are closed. Only eating establishments can serve liquor. The Fours has good memorabilia. The best views I know are at the Granite Links, just south of Boston in Quincy. At the top of the old Quincy quarries, it gives a stunning view of the Boston skyline unmatched by very few.
I used to jump those quarries in my youth. They’ve commercialized them? Wow.

Reactions: Barnum

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Three deaths in 4 years was the last straw. They filled them starting in '99 using dirt from the Big Dig. This is it now: Granite Links Golf Club - Semi-Private Golf Club Quincy, MA
Wow, looks nice; will have to check that out next time I’m back in the Q. My last jump at the Quarries was 1980. Was always a harrowing experience for me. Never went off the highest plateaus; many guys I knew did, but they were maniacs. Some of those jump ledges were unbelievably high. You had to wear sneakers, of course, which made resurfacing...interesting. And, you never really knew what you might hit under the water. Very low visibility. Scary as hell. Glad they closed ‘em, then.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Wow, looks nice; will have to check that out next time I’m back in the Q. My last jump at the Quarries was 1980. Was always a harrowing experience for me. Never went off the highest plateaus; many guys I knew did, but they were maniacs. Some of those jump ledges were unbelievably high. You had to wear sneakers, of course, which made resurfacing...interesting. And, you never really knew what you might hit under the water. Very low visibility. Scary as hell. Glad they closed ‘em, then.

Never did it myself. Closest I came was the Back River bridge in Weymouth, which was about 20 feet. But yeah, it's beautiful now. My nephew was supposed to have his wedding there next month, but COVID had something to say about that.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad