OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
We are going to the game tonight and bringing some friends from across the country who are visiting. We would like to bring them out to an early dinner before the game, but it has been a while since I've been in the city and some of the places I used to go are now closed.

Anyone have recommendations for a decent American Pub style place with some good burgers and other entrees, decent beer menu, etc? I don't want a dive bar but also don't need top tier steakhouse, just something fun. I miss The Fours :(

Thanks!

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
We are going to the game tonight and bringing some friends from across the country who are visiting. We would like to bring them out to an early dinner before the game, but it has been a while since I've been in the city and some of the places I used to go are now closed.

Anyone have recommendations for a decent American Pub style place with some good burgers and other entrees, decent beer menu, etc? I don't want a dive bar but also don't need top tier steakhouse, just something fun. I miss The Fours :(

Thanks!

I answered you in the game day thread but in case you look here first.

A & B Burgers across from Garden is pretty good. They take reserations but this is a game day so you need to call to see if you can get one for tonight.

Porters Bar & Grill on Portland Street is good. They don't take reservations but if you get there by 5:00 then you should be able to get a table.

Ward 8 on Washington Street is good but a little expensive. They have a nice cocktail menu. They take reservations but not sure on a game day if you can get a reservation so call to ask.

Ducali on Causeway is also pretty good and Regina Pizza is a good pre game spot but getting a table could be a problem.

The Hub Hall has also recently opened. I have not been to a game yet to check it out but that is an option for you to look at.

Reactions: sooshii

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Sorry for the sort of off-topic. I am not registered to any football forums that have a Patriots board. Hoping someone here can help me. Anyone know about the lots at Gillette?
  • Do I need to buy a parking pass in advance?
  • Are the non-official lots a long walk from the stadium and can you tailgate in them?
  • If you are going to an official lot can you pick which lot you will be in (want to tailgate with some friends who are traveling to the game separately)?
  • Other tips?
I am sure I have more questions but this is it for the moment.

Ramzz

Aug 7, 2018
Hello we are driving down from Canada next year for a Bruin Game there are 4 of us. We would like to know the best fish place clam chowder and the best pizza in town. Also before the game snack and after the game drinks with a large selection of draft beer close to the arena. Thanks in advance.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hello we are driving down from Canada next year for a Bruin Game there are 4 of us. We would like to know the best fish place clam chowder and the best pizza in town. Also before the game snack and after the game drinks with a large selection of draft beer close to the arena. Thanks in advance.

Fish? My favorite is B&G Oysters in the South End. Legal is the most famous, but I think it's highly overrated. Neptune is pricy, but high quality. Best Chowder? My dad's recipe. I don't eat restaurant chowder. Best pizza? Wars are fought over that question, but Regina's was recently voted best in the country and the original location is a short walk from the Garden. As to pregame eats/drinks, the Hub is fully open, there are around a dozen places right at the arena. Get there early, though.

B&G Oysters

Neptune Oyster

Home | Regina Pizzeria, Boston's Brick Oven Pizza

Modern Food Hall, Downtown Boston | Bars, Restaurants, Coffee

Last edited:

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

Fish/Chowder:
Neptune Oyster's chowder isn't cheap, but it's good and it's a short walk from the Garden, in the North End. There are other places people will swear by, but for consistency, Neptune, B&G, and Legal are solid options. One reason I would recommend Neptune is you can also get both styles of lobster roll. Split one of each with a friend and judge for yourself.

Pizza:
Boston is well outside the "pizza belt", which ends at about Providence, RI. MA isn't NJ, you can't just walk into a random pizza joint and expect a good slice. If you want pizza by the Garden that isn't trash, I'd stick to the original Regina or go cheap and grab a special at someplace like Viga, which is a chain with downtown locations where you can grab a slice, salad, and soda for lunch.

Pre-game:
As someone who spent a lot of time avoiding the pre- and post-game crowds during my commute home, I like Tasty Burger as the pre-game spot. Grab a burger, side of tots, and a beer. I found it's usually less of a madhouse than the spots over by Causeway.

Drinking:
Post-game drinks are going to depend on your tastes. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than stick around the arena, but I'm sure there are lots of people who'd have the same reaction to my old stomping grounds. For decent beer lists, the closest will be Nightshift next door to the Garden. In the wider vicinity of the arena I like The Ginger Man's list. Neither are especially cheap. If you're going out for real around that area, you can splurge on some fancy beers at one of those and then go get hammered some place like Biddy Early's.

The other option is to head back to wherever you're staying for later night activities. Boston proper is tiny, but within the area covered by public transit are different neighborhoods and/or adjacent cities with distinct vibes.

Reactions: sooshii and Ramzz

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Heading down to Boston with 5 buddies, age range from 52-37. I've been there multiple times with my wife over the last number of years but not on a guys trip.

1. Any recommendations on hotels?
2. Best places to eat?

I've eaten at Ned Divines at Quincey Market which was a cool place. I tried Mr. Dooley's which was a cool spot with live music. Been to the Four's( sadly closed I know), Hurricanes, and a few nice spots at the Seaport. Any other spots I should try? Not really looking for 60-70 dollar meals but not looking for Applebees either if that makes sense!

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Heading down to Boston with 5 buddies, age range from 52-37. I've been there multiple times with my wife over the last number of years but not on a guys trip.

1. Any recommendations on hotels?
2. Best places to eat?

I've eaten at Ned Divines at Quincey Market which was a cool place. I tried Mr. Dooley's which was a cool spot with live music. Been to the Four's( sadly closed I know), Hurricanes, and a few nice spots at the Seaport. Any other spots I should try? Not really looking for 60-70 dollar meals but not looking for Applebees either if that makes sense!
Monument Tavern in Charlestown. Can't say enough great things about the place. When I was living in the North End, I found myself going there more often than any of the restaurants near my apartment.

Reactions: Dizzay

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hey me and the wife are coming up at the end of March we staying near Faneuil Hall. Any suggestions for places to eat at the north end.
Welcome back. I remember you visited a couple of years ago.

Tresca's, Ray Bourque's place on Hanover Street is popular. Can't go wrong in most of the places on Hanover and adjacent streets.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Ok y'all, I know I'm not a "visitor" per se but a lot has changed out that way driving wise since 2014 I'm sure. I'm going to be renting a car when I get to Boston. Any in's and outs of getting out of Logan that are new or changed since I was last there? Will be looking to hop on the Pike to get to Southboro where I'm staying.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ok y'all, I know I'm not a "visitor" per se but a lot has changed out that way driving wise since 2014 I'm sure. I'm going to be renting a car when I get to Boston. Any in's and outs of getting out of Logan that are new or changed since I was last there? Will be looking to hop on the Pike to get to Southboro where I'm staying.

Everything has changed. Logan as usual is under construction again. So way out today may be altered next week depending on terminal. Follow whatever signage thats up and watch for constant merging until you’re out.

I’d recommend having most up to date gps availability. The pike now all ez pass. No toll booths. Dont know how that works with a rental. Never did rental.

Depending on time of day youre on road I can’t recommend using the bathroom before departing strong enough.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Greetings from BC! ...I'm visiting NYC next Friday March 25 to March 27. I tried to work on connections and stuff to get to Boston to watch a game but didn't work out. But then I thought I can go to Rangers game Friday night at MSG and then get to Boston for 12:30 game Saturday...there are flights available; trains too..Trains are 4 hour trips...planes are obviously quicker....any other thoughts or suggestions on travel? Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad