Vinny Prospal retires

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We definitely have roster space. With the normal rate of injuries we probably will have a spot for Prospal all year. How much cap space do we have?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
move Boll imo. We don't need a designated enforcer.

Why does everyone always want to move Boll!? You will find out why we need him the minute we don't have him! There is a reason he has an A on his jersey and it's not just because he's been here the longest. Those that have played, understand his importance. And that line has been good most nights, bringing energy and the forecheck. This argument is as tired as the one to bring Vinny back.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Why does everyone always want to move Boll!? You will find out why we need him the minute we don't have him! There is a reason he has an A on his jersey and it's not just because he's been here the longest. Those that have played, understand his importance. And that line has been good most nights, bringing energy and the forecheck. This argument is as tired as the one to bring Vinny back.

Not to get too far off topic, but while I like and value Boll, I don't really understand his role this season. He rarely hits, is a little too slow to forecheck on what little forechecking they can muster these days.

I suppose this is more about problems I have with the way they're playing - no hitting and no forechecking than it is Boll, but still...he should be leading in hits, not MacKenzie. I suppose it could be an injury, but I'd at least like to see more intensity...and I just don't see that from him right now.

Regarding Prospal, everyone knows I'm a fan, and while I'm disappointed they didn't bring him back, I understand why it happened and how it created a great opportunity for Jenner, which Jenner seized. The fact is, with 3-4 forwards out, we could use any capable NHLer to fill in - VP just happens to come to mind because he's the most familiar option. As someone else alluded to, it reminds me of how I once felt about an old girlfriend once she was an ex - we kept going back to each other for awhile just because it was familiar to us, even though it was a bad idea ;)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not to get too far off topic, but while I like and value Boll, I don't really understand his role this season. He rarely hits, is a little too slow to forecheck on what little forechecking they can muster these days.

I suppose this is more about problems I have with the way they're playing - no hitting and no forechecking than it is Boll, but still...he should be leading in hits, not MacKenzie. I suppose it could be an injury, but I'd at least like to see more intensity...and I just don't see that from him right now.

Regarding Prospal, everyone knows I'm a fan, and while I'm disappointed they didn't bring him back, I understand why it happened and how it created a great opportunity for Jenner, which Jenner seized. The fact is, with 3-4 forwards out, we could use any capable NHLer to fill in - VP just happens to come to mind because he's the most familiar option. As someone else alluded to, it reminds me of how I once felt about an old girlfriend once she was an ex - we kept going back to each other for awhile just because it was familiar to us, even though it was a bad idea ;)

Totally agree on VP, love the guy but he didn't have a place anymore and it's a shame.

I really do think Boll had an injury for a good 2-3 weeks there that he played through and that's why he wasn't himself. Seemed like he's only been 100% for 3-4 games. I think Boll will be fine, he's been much more visible since the Ottawa game

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
move Boll imo. We don't need a designated enforcer.

For all of you that think the East isn't a fighting conference and we don't need Boll...

The five clubs with the most fights this season all play in the Eastern Conference, according to HockeyFights.com. They are Buffalo (17), Toronto (16), Philadelphia (15), Montreal (14) and Boston (13).

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
For all of you that think the East isn't a fighting conference and we don't need Boll...

The five clubs with the most fights this season all play in the Eastern Conference, according to HockeyFights.com. They are Buffalo (17), Toronto (16), Philadelphia (15), Montreal (14) and Boston (13).

Situational fighting will always be a part of the game. You don't need an enforcer, nor can an enforcer sitting on the bench help, in a situational fight.

When Boll nods to Chris Neil on the opening face off last week, and Neil shakes his head no, thats not situation fighting and frankly I think its a bush league side show that has 0 benefit to the team.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Situational fighting will always be a part of the game. You don't need an enforcer, nor can an enforcer sitting on the bench help, in a situational fight.

When Boll nods to Chris Neil on the opening face off last week, and Neil shakes his head no, thats not situation fighting and frankly I think its a bush league side show that has 0 benefit to the team.

Thank God you aren't coaching the team, you should find a less rough sport to watch, do you shield your eyes during fights that aren't situational? ....Glad Richards feels this way....

“I’ve said it so many times you guys are probably tired of hearing it, but that fourth line — with Boller and Derek MacKenzie and whoever is on the left side — has been one of our best lines many, many nights,†Richards said. “Jared Boll is a very effective player.

“He just happens to be one hell of a fighter, too, and as he’s moved along in his career, he’s really learned a good balance of tat.â€

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Thank God you aren't coaching the team, you should find a less rough sport to watch, do you shield your eyes during fights that aren't situational? ....Glad Richards feels this way....

“I’ve said it so many times you guys are probably tired of hearing it, but that fourth line — with Boller and Derek MacKenzie and whoever is on the left side — has been one of our best lines many, many nights,” Richards said. “Jared Boll is a very effective player.

“He just happens to be one hell of a fighter, too, and as he’s moved along in his career, he’s really learned a good balance of that.”

You mean Todd Richards had good things to say about one of his players that his boss just gave a new contract to? Holy **** :amazed:

I supposed it was Jarod Boll's presence on the ice that kept the B's from retaliating against Dubinsky when Kreijci hit the boards hard and left the game. Oh wait thats right, they did retaliate, and they got a roughing penalty called on them, oh yeah and Boll was on the bench. Like I said your enforcer is on the ice about 10 minutes a game (16%), what kind of protection does that offer a real hockey player like Dubinsky? 0. Dubinsky takes care of himself, and his linemates.

Do I need to find a "less rough" sport to watch? I think I just prefer a competent level of skill to be exhibited at the highest level of the sport. For example, if you get the puck all alone in front of the other teams goal, and you can't get a shot on goal, much less within 3 feet of the post, you are not competent enough to play in the NHL.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
From this week's Puckrakers chat:

Comment From Guest
This Prospal situation sucks! I don't get it. For a fan fav that is cheap, something strange going on here? Is this an ego thing with EX GMSH verbal deal

Portzline:
Not an ego thing, they just don't want to bring Prospal back into the fold. It's not going to happen. The Blue Jackets are committed to young players like Calvert and Jenner, and they want to get healthy before they make any moves to change up the roster. But, from what I can glean, bringing back Prospal is not on the list of considerations, even if this goes waaaay south. As noted in a blog entry we put up over the weekend, Prospal is not an easy teammate. For all the politicking that goes on at the service, there are a lot of people in the game who don't care for the way he acts behind the scenes. Good player. Smart player. Works his butt off. But that might explain why he's bounced around so much during his career, and why he's still looking for work, even though he could still produce points at NHL level.

I think some, here, had speculated that something like this might be in play.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Curious. What is said could be true, but it could also be management propaganda.

How is he not an easy teammate? Calling out his team mates when no one else has the guts? Speaking his mind? Expecting more from everyone? A former teammate and pretty good player Vincent Lecavalier credits Prospal with turning his career around back in the early 2000s.

Meh. Dead horse beaten to a pancake anyway.....

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Curious. What is said could be true, but it could also be management propaganda.

How is he not an easy teammate? Calling out his team mates when no one else has the guts? Speaking his mind? Expecting more from everyone? A former teammate and pretty good player Vincent Lecavalier credits Prospal with turning his career around back in the early 2000s.

Meh. Dead horse beaten to a pancake anyway.....

I love Vinny, but we did the right thing. And there must be a reason 29 other teams didn't see fit to sign him. It's kinda like Hitch probably, he is effective at first, then wears on people. I like players like that, but the country club players don't like being called out. I'm sure he would be elbow deep in Gaborik's lack of effort..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

“I’ve said it so many times you guys are probably tired of hearing it, but that fourth line — with Boller and Derek MacKenzie and whoever is on the left side — has been one of our best lines many, many nights,†Richards said. “Jared Boll is a very effective player.

“He just happens to be one hell of a fighter, too, and as he’s moved along in his career, he’s really learned a good balance of that.â€

Says a lot about the rest of the lines

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Im fine with Boll on the team, I just wish we actually had other talent so we could only play him against teams with enforcers. If he's not fighting, he's not of much use

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
I love Vinny, but we did the right thing. And there must be a reason 29 other teams didn't see fit to sign him. It's kinda like Hitch probably, he is effective at first, then wears on people. I like players like that, but the country club players don't like being called out. I'm sure he would be elbow deep in Gaborik's lack of effort..

There is a reason, which is that he's nearly 40 and has slowed quite a bit.

Suggesting that there's anything beyond that, particularly insinuating that Prospal is either a clubhouse lawyer or a locker room cancer, is completely untrue.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
There is a reason, which is that he's nearly 40 and has slowed quite a bit.

Suggesting that there's anything beyond that, particularly insinuating that Prospal is either a clubhouse lawyer or a locker room cancer, is completely untrue.

Have you been in the locker room? I'm speculating based on lots of reports and the fact nobody picked him up

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Im fine with Boll on the team, I just wish we actually had other talent so we could only play him against teams with enforcers. If he's not fighting, he's not of much use

He's an effective forechecker and the third and fourth lines have consistently been our best lines for creating energy and getting the other teams on their heels.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
The truth about Vinnie is probably somewhere between oddball and jerk. Cancer, no, -not if you consider he was the leading scorer on the best team we ever iced.

My guess:
Kek is Mr. No-Nonsense, and Vinnie is Mr. "Typical Old Veteran Who Smirks at the Suits".
(In support of this notion, notice the age of the roster they've kept)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The truth about Vinnie is probably somewhere between oddball and jerk. Cancer, no, -not if you consider he was the leading scorer on the best team we ever iced.

My guess:
Kek is Mr. No-Nonsense, and Vinnie is Mr. "Typical Old Veteran Who Smirks at the Suits".
(In support of this notion, notice the age of the roster they've kept)
I'd like to think that such a decision would be a tad more multifaceted than that, but I could certainly see something like this influencing the decision.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Who should get LESS ice time to compensate for what Vinny would get?
The fourth line? Not a chance.
Whoever you come up with (RJ Umberger cough cough) is already going to see a reduction when Nathan Horton starts playing in 2-3 weeks.

Then, what kind of shape is Vinny going to be in if he DID come back?

What the team is lacking is swagger. Vinny definitely helped with that, but winning will provide that as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad