Vinny Prospal retires

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Explain to me again why he's not in our line up and why Kek and JD can't admit their mistake and sign him now.
We could certainly use his points right now.

This summer I believed not signing Vinnie was a mistake. Still do.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
just gonna go ahead an put this thread on ignore...when healthy, we have no spot for him...end of story...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
just gonna go ahead an put this thread on ignore...when healthy, we have no spot for him...end of story...

We aren't healthy, and at the normal rates of injury we probably won't be all year.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Explain to me again why he's not in our line up and why Kek and JD can't admit their mistake and sign him now.

I can't agree more. The 4th line is a joke tbh, and the second power play unit would benefit greatly from his skillset.

I'm not saying he'd be a difference maker, night in night out, but he'd be an upgrade in many ways.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
What's wrong with the team
-Average goaltending.
-Lousy penalty killing
-Defensemen making boneheaded decisions.

I fail to see how a guy who, while possibly plotting 20 goals, fixes these problems. He's somewhat useful on the power play, approaching uselessness on 5-5 play, and wouldn't help the penalty kill. He's not coming back. Sorry.

You wanna fix the team while bringing in an ex-Jacket who's achieved mythological status with the fanbase? Go get Curtis Glencross from Calgary. He's exactly the forward this team needs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I thought people just wanted Vinnie for his leadership? Which still isn't worth him coming back. I think creating a void in leadership COULD be good in the sense it will force someone to rise to the challenge and become the new leader long term. Not needing to find someone else another year or two down the line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
-Average goaltending.
-Lousy penalty killing

I fail to see how a guy who, while possibly plotting 20 goals, fixes these problems. He's somewhat useful on the power play, approaching uselessness on 5-5 play, and wouldn't help the penalty kill. He's not coming back. Sorry.

You wanna fix the team while bringing in an ex-Jacket who's achieved mythological status with the fanbase? Go get Curtis Glencross from Calgary. He's exactly the forward this team needs.

Pretty much spot on all around. Though every team wants Glencross now, he'd be hard to acquire.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
-Average goaltending.
-Lousy penalty killing

I didn't say he fixes these problems, but he is an upgrade offensively in terms of secondary scoring, which shouldn't be overlooked considering we have 1 total goal for in our last 2 games.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I didn't say he fixes these problems, but he is an upgrade offensively in terms of secondary scoring, which shouldn't be overlooked considering we have 1 total goal for in our last 2 games.

2 goals :) And you're overreacting to the weekend. Saturday sucked and it's best forgotten but every team is gonna have a few games like that.

Secondary scoring needs to come from guys that can play competently on the other end of the ice. And Prospal's the hockey equivalent of a Designated Hitter at this point.

IHeartZherdev*

Its november. Time to move on. Not a guarantee last years points would be there this year. I was also in favor of keeping him but the fact that no nhl team so much as gave him a tryout means the consensus around the league is that he's done, not just a jd and jarmo thing

IHeartZherdev*

I can't agree more. The 4th line is a joke tbh, and the second power play unit would benefit greatly from his skillset.

I'm not saying he'd be a difference maker, night in night out, but he'd be an upgrade in many ways.

I agree the fourth line is a joke but thats not a role vinny could help with.

Vinnys spot was taken by boone who was starting to play well and chip in on offense before he got hurt. He'll be baxk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Our 4th line is a joke because we don't have Calvert Jenner and Horton are out. With those players in the line our whole roster gets shaken up. Id like to see chaput stay but Boll Collins and Craig don't belong.

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
The only way the Jackets add a player from outside the organization is via trade. They cannot take on much salary right now without sending someone packing. Prospal would have to sign for less then $930k in order to join the team right now and I do not see him doing that. He'd likely also demand a full NMC further limiting the team's options when they get healthy and in the likely event Prospal doesn't have anything meaningful to contribute to the team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
A bit of a risk, at the beginning of the season, would have been to trade Nikitin and bring in Vinny. Personally, that's what I would have done.

We knew we had a 3 month gap until Horton, not to mention is ramp up time after coming back.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
-Average goaltending.
-Lousy penalty killing

I'll agree with this too... I wanted Vinny resigned but I think not signing him allowed Boone Jenner to be brought up... Vinny is gone, just as Glencross is but we do need something, I'm hoping JD is looking for a trade to help our offense.. Scoring one goal in two weekend games is not enough... (I did not include the second wasted Joey goal on Friday).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for breaking down the dynamics in such an overly simplistic manner. The story is likely over, but not because of what you wrote.

I'm certainly not the only person on this forum tired of hearing people fawn over Vinnie like an old girlfriend that you have second thoughts about breaking up with.

"When a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back. Look forward to your next objective." - George C. Marshall

thebus2288*

This washed up old man that can't keep up on the ice and is suddenly not able to contribute anything to ANY team in professional hockey WAS OUR LEADING SCORER LAST YEAR. It was a lockout year. A lot of notable vets didn't play well throughout the year. Some decided to even focus on coaching. And he DID play well up until what, the last 10% of the year? Ya he did slow down, BUT he still managed to contribute on the SCORESHEET and ice as much as anyone. Check the game logs for the last month or so. The fact that this guy just 6 months ago was putting up more points in the NHL than anybody else we have shows just how much WE COULD USE HIM.

Skating is not everything. When you can contribute the way he has over his whole career with being probably 1 of the slowest forwards on each team he's been on should say enough. This is a positive not a negative. The guy can think the game. THAT is what this team needs. We wouldn't go on a 19-5 run if he were brought on(maybe we would) but you guys saying he wouldn't help us IMO are just flat out wrong, and it stems from how you guys are looking at things. Vinny Prospal playing 10 minutes a game with ANY line and important PP time is more valuable to our team than anything Comeau, Umberger, Letestu, Skille or Craig can offer.

Paisano*

According to Bob Hunter, Dispatch, the Rangers have been talking to Prospal, they are looking for scoring help.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Who will QB the power play if they give up Tarnstrom?

I really like Vinny and I wish he had chosen to take a job in the organization. There is something about him that teams grow tired of seeing or hearing. He has been traded a lot and except for Tampa, seldom retained.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Who will QB the power play if they give up Tarnstrom?

I really like Vinny and I wish he had chosen to take a job in the organization. There is something about him that teams grow tired of seeing or hearing. He has been traded a lot and except for Tampa, seldom retained.
He's still on Tampa's payroll through next season for 1.16 million too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad