Vinny Prospal retires

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm glad locker room harmony is high on the of list priorities for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in its 12 seasons of existence. God forbid Vinny get riled up and piss on someone's back when everything is going so swimmingly for the CBJ.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm glad locker room harmony is high on the of list priorities for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in its 12 seasons of existence. God forbid Vinny get riled up and piss on someone's back when everything is going so swimmingly for the CBJ.
Because zherdev we filatov certainly sydor haven't oliwa suffered foote in commodore there CARTER before.

Not that I think Vinny is a problem per se, but pretending that such things are nonissues is a bit absurd. Just because it's overstated doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

Pissing on people's backs would certainly change the harmony of the locker room, not to mention the health. Pretty radical leadership style, but hey whatever floats your boat. Regardless, will this asinine argument about Prospal ever end? Were a quarter of the way through the season. Barring extremely unforseen circumstances, he's not coming back.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
19-seymour-futurama.jpeg

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Pissing on people's backs would certainly change the harmony of the locker room, not to mention the health. Pretty radical leadership style, but hey whatever floats your boat. Regardless, will this asinine argument about Prospal ever end? Were a quarter of the way through the season. Barring extremely unforseen circumstances, he's not coming back.

Figure of speech :)

And yes I know, its getting old, beyond old, but I'm bored at work today. I'll find something else to vent on.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/11/keks-qa.html

When Kekalainen was asked if he believed that the leadership of Aucoin and Prospal were missing from this season's team, Kekalainen would only respond about Aucoin. This seems pretty telling....

I'm starting to get a sense that Jarmo has this political side, which would bother me if true (not GOP/Dem politics).

Prospal isn't coming back, I understand that. But this was a big mistake if you ask me, on Jarmo's part.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm starting to get a sense that Jarmo has this political side, which would bother me if true (not GOP/Dem politics).

Prospal isn't coming back, I understand that. But this was a big mistake if you ask me, on Jarmo's part.

I hope that's not what's keeping Erixon off the ice or keeping someone (ANYONE!) on the team from wearing the C.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Boller leads the Jackets in penalty differential, according to this site. That shows he is doing a good job agitating.

Also there's goons on fourth lines around the league who are slow and can't handle a pass. Boller is not one of them. Overpaid, yes, but I'm glad he's on the team.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
" I will not talk about Prospal because I made blunder and I hate talking about my mistakes" .. What are you made of Kek?

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Enough already!

Was there a problem? Was it simply a matter making room? Was it a mistake?

Good Gawd Almighty at this point, who cares? Hash it over again and again, point all the fingers you want. But here's the deal....

... He's not coming back.

LET IT GO.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Enough already!

Was there a problem? Was it simply a matter making room? Was it a mistake?

Good Gawd Almighty at this point, who cares? Hash it over again and again, point all the fingers you want. But here's the deal....

... He's not coming back.

LET IT GO.

Whatever. We (or I) can let go that he's not coming back. But I won't stop thinking that not bringing him back was a blunder by JK that seems to me have been based on his ego. When you read an article from today in which he's talking about bringing in an experienced veteran who can score, why are you not having flashbacks of Vinny, who led the team in scoring last year and wanted to come back to Columbus??

At this point it's not about wanting him back anymore, and more of a referendum on JK's thought process here, at least to me. You can "Let. It. Go." it all you want, but until you provide a reason why he wasn't brought back that is more than the reflexive "management didn't want him", I'm going to remain unconvinced.

Clearly something is missing, and JK is talking about just the role Vinny filled being a potential requirement for this team. He screwed up.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Whatever. We (or I) can let go that he's not coming back. But I won't stop thinking that not bringing him back was a blunder by JK that seems to me have been based on his ego. When you read an article from today in which he's talking about bringing in an experienced veteran who can score, why are you not having flashbacks of Vinny, who led the team in scoring last year and wanted to come back to Columbus??

At this point it's not about wanting him back anymore, and more of a referendum on JK's thought process here, at least to me. You can "Let. It. Go." it all you want, but until you provide a reason why he wasn't brought back that is more than the reflexive "management didn't want him", I'm going to remain unconvinced.

Clearly something is missing, and JK is talking about just the role Vinny filled being a potential requirement for this team. He screwed up.

Seriously?

There are three veteran pieces not in place this year that were there last year, obviously Prospal, but also Aucoin, and Acton. All three had a significant impact on the team's performance by all accounts. But you choose to chalk it up to an ego issue with GMJK.

More probably it has to with an accumulative lose than anything else. My personal opinion is the team misses Keith Acton more than Vinny Prospal, but that is strictly my opinion.

Why is Vinny Prospal no longer a Blue Jacket? Because the management team decided to go forward without him. Their stated reason is they wanted a roster spot and ice time for the younger players, because that's the future of the team. If you want to read more into it than that, you may if you want to. I simply choose to believe that a GM of a NHL team isn't basing such a decision on whims of ego.

Was it a mistake? Perhaps, time will tell, but there is more involved than simply the presence or not of one VP.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Seriously?

There are three veteran pieces not in place this year that were there last year, obviously Prospal, but also Aucoin, and Acton. All three had a significant impact on the team's performance by all accounts. But you choose to chalk it up to an ego issue with GMJK.

More probably it has to with an accumulative lose than anything else. My personal opinion is the team misses Keith Acton more than Vinny Prospal, but that is strictly my opinion.

Why is Vinny Prospal no longer a Blue Jacket? Because the management team decided to go forward without him. Their stated reason is they wanted a roster spot and ice time for the younger players, because that's the future of the team. If you want to read more into it than that, you may if you want to. I simply choose to believe that a GM of a NHL team isn't basing such a decision on whims of ego.

Was it a mistake? Perhaps, time will tell, but there is more involved than simply the presence or not of one VP.

The circumstances by which each of those three is not with the team this season are markedly different. You know this so I won't waste time on it.

The link posted above finds Jarmo continuing a strict "no comment" stance on Prospal, something both men have done numerous times in what I hope is a professional disagreement over something and not personal animosity. The fact remains that there's something going on there.

As to the point that Prospal wasn't re-signed in order to clear the way for young players to play: another recent press quote indicates Jarmo might be interested in adding veteran leadership. He doesn't have to be disappointed in the young players for this to be a tacit admission of a miscalculation. It's naturally going to drive discussion toward a player who seems to fit the bill who was intentionally not resigned.

Personally, I wish Vinny had been brought back, but I have "moved on" as it were. I'm also OK not knowing what's up between the two men (and yes, I'm assuming there is). But it's certainly fodder for discussion.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The circumstances by which each of those three is not with the team this season are markedly different. You know this so I won't waste time on it.

Agreed. My point is the statements about adding leadership is not due solely to the absence of one VP

The link posted above finds Jarmo continuing a strict "no comment" stance on Prospal, something both men have done numerous times in what I hope is a professional disagreement over something and not personal animosity. The fact remains that there's something going on there.

It would seem. My issue is with attributing that to an ego problem on the part of GMJK

As to the point that Prospal wasn't re-signed in order to clear the way for young players to play: another recent press quote indicates Jarmo might be interested in adding veteran leadership. He doesn't have to be disappointed in the young players for this to be a tacit admission of a miscalculation. It's naturally going to drive discussion toward a player who seems to fit the bill who was intentionally not resigned.

also agreed: see above

Personally, I wish Vinny had been brought back, but I have "moved on" as it were. I'm also OK not knowing what's up between the two men (and yes, I'm assuming there is). But it's certainly fodder for discussion.

Yes it is. Again my objection was ascribing it to a personality flaw on the part of one party. It could just as easily be an "ego" thing the other way if you wish to theorize a personality problem rather than a roster issue.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yes it is. Again my objection was ascribing it to a personality flaw on the part of one party. It could just as easily be an "ego" thing the other way if you wish to theorize a personality problem rather than a roster issue.

I missed your bolding in the post you quoted. My apologies. You are correct that we only have extrapolation to suggest the issue lies with one party, and that's unfair absent any real evidence.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Veteran leadership may be missing, but a 39 year old former Blue Jacket winger is not the only player who can provide it. On the current squad, Dubi and Tyutin can fit the bill, as can any number of other experienced players in the league. If Vinny is the only missing piece to a successful season, then, yes, JD/JK made a mistake in not bringing him back. I find it difficult to believe, though. I'll be quite surprised if they bring in anyone close to his age as "veteran leadership." That just doesn't seem to mesh with what they have put in place.

Keep in mind, Vinny is older than David Vborny and less than two years younger than Espen Knutson. Personally, I'd rather see them bring back one of them!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Veteran leadership may be missing, but a 39 year old former Blue Jacket winger is not the only player who can provide it. On the current squad, Dubi and Tyutin can fit the bill, as can any number of other experienced players in the league. If Vinny is the only missing piece to a successful season, then, yes, JD/JK made a mistake in not bringing him back. I find it difficult to believe, though.

All of this is true, but as regards the possibility of adding a player not on the current roster, it does immediately bring to mind "why didn't you just bring back the guy who was just here doing exactly what you say needs done?" Absent a direct indictment of Prospal, I'm comfortable with the idea that he would do it better than random NHL veteran.

I'll be quite surprised if they bring in anyone close to his age as "veteran leadership." That just doesn't seem to mesh with what they have put in place.

This makes sense.

Keep in mind, Vinny is older than David Vborny and less than two years younger than Espen Knutson. Personally, I'd rather see them bring back one of them!

Vybes is my all-time favorite Jacket, but I've got to disagree with you here.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Back after the 1986 MLB season, Tim Raines was a free agent. He had just led the league in batting average and OBP, and was firmly entrenched as the second-best leadoff man in MLB (behind Rickey Henderson, who's only the greatest leadoff man in history).

He wanted to go to San Diego. The Padres had two major needs:
1) A left fielder, since Carmelo Martinez was, well, lacking
2) A leadoff man

And at the cost of nothing off of their roster, the Padres vacillated between wanting him and not wanting him. They also had a ballpark perfectly suited for a slap hitter with speed, which Raines was to a superlative extent.

The Padres did nothing. Jack McKeon, then the GM, said publicly that they wanted him. Various people above him did not, and had their own public statements to that effect. It was said that owner Joan Kroc would never have a player with a substance abuse problem; Raines had dabbled in cocaine four years prior for a few months, but had been clean since and had been public about the dangers of drug use. It was said that Raines' salary demands were out of line; he offered to come to San Diego for less (having already cut his demands twice, and this for less than he wanted for Montreal). It was said that Raines' request for a three-year contract exposed the team to unreasonable risk; he offered to sign a one-year contract and scale salary to performance bonuses instead. He was willing to bend over backwards to get to San Diego.

San Diego never signed him. He went back to Montreal for more than he'd asked for from San Diego and for a longer term, and the Padres were plagued by offensive problems and an inability to score runs for a long time. We know today that San Diego was up to their neck in free agency collusion, but signing Raines would have actually had a depressive effect on MLB salaries. His work ethic and skill went to waste as the Expos continued to flounder, and he ended up finally winning a World Series as a 36-year-old with the Yankees as a bench player.

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
I'd be more damning of the decision not to resign Prospal if some other team, particularly a team with a proven management group ala Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc., had signed him by now. Unfortunately he is still wallowing away in the Czech Republic with nothing to show for it.

The Jackets would be marginally better, if any better at all, with Prospal on the roster. He isn't the difference between a playoff team and a non-playoff team.

If they want to bring in veteran leadership I'd prefer they do it via trade for someone on the right side of 35 who can reliably play in the top six. I don't think there are many guys like that available right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->