Vinny Prospal retires

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The thing that kills me is that if Vinny HAD been brought back, all these posters using phrases like "mythological status" and "people fawn over vinnie", would they have railed against his return like it was a mistake? We'll never know, but my guess is that if Vinny had been re-signed we would have heard very little grumbling about it, yet since he wasn't the opinions of those who feel it was a mistake not to bring him back are dismissed in terms of being too sentimental.

There are valid reasons for paying lip service to management's position, like the opportunity afforded Boone Jenner, which he is making the most of. I get that.

But "mythological status" is a bit of an overplay. Still, you can bet his being held in high regard had to do with his performance and his role in cleaning this team up. I'll "fawn" over a player like that any day, and you should, too.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Vinnie or 2 of Skille,Collins,Craig,Boll,Comeau,Chaput, et al.?

No real debate because the ship has sailed but all of the above collectively aren't worth a fart in a windstorm.

And I know those are mostly 4th liners and 2 way contracts but i could throw Umby, Foligno and Letestu in the pot too as guys who could use an occasional break from duty.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm certainly not the only person on this forum tired of hearing people fawn over Vinnie like an old girlfriend that you have second thoughts about breaking up with.

"When a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back. Look forward to your next objective." - George C. Marshall

Except:
A) "Fawning" is only the interpretation of events of those who come into the discussion with a certain perspective on it. Your choice and language and attendant hyperbole doesn't help your cause.
B) No one wanted to break up, so no one's having second thoughts. This is one where the parents came in and told the kids they couldn't see each other any more.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Wow, isn't it a bit early for people here to be calling each other *******s?

Vinnie's numbers were real last year.
He kept our team afloat during some dark days.
His age is irrelevant. Our young temp players can't score.
Moreover, Vinnie carried and distributed well.

Tonight's repeat of the lack of offensive production begs for some kind of change. If we're up against the cap, then I guess we're stuck. Vinnie is an option if the can trade someone.

At this rate.......Going to be a long month.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Prospal will never return as a player to the CBJ. If he does, I'll eat my hat and donate $100 to the moderators choice of legitimate US charity.

But yes, the CBJ could sure use his points. He'd be about 3rd in points if he was having an average year...

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Prospal will never return as a player to the CBJ. If he does, I'll eat my hat and donate $100 to the moderators choice of legitimate US charity.

But yes, the CBJ could sure use his points. He'd be about 3rd in points if he was having an average year...

I have to ask, do you actually know Prospal?

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Sorry about this thread.
...Like I've been right before.

JF_OUIJA.gif

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
lol Many here wanted him back including me when the time to discuss it was real...

They chose Jenner, Prout, Murray, Savard or you pick??

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know if Prospal is the answer, but something was working better last year than it was now. The players lack confidence, they aren't pulling together and playing as a team, nor are they finding that will to win and are deflating after mistakes turn into goals against.

There are been veterans brought in that have contributed far less points than Prospal. Maybe he's not the fastest player but he was able to score last season. He likely could help the power play now.

The question I have is whether the players want Vinnie back. If they do, then Jarmo needs to extend an offer and make it happen.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
"@Aportzline Former #CBJ Vinny Prospal sitting in Czech Republic, waiting for a call. #Coyotes , #NYR and #Oilers have sniffed around, talked numbers."

"@Aportzline Prospal camp has stayed in touch w #CBJ, but no offers made. Yet. Told Prospal would definitely sign w CBJ again, even take low-ball offer."

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Like I said this summer, if you polled the fanbase about renaming the team the Columbus Blue Prospals, I think 20% would be in favor of it. :D

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
"@Aportzline Former #CBJ Vinny Prospal sitting in Czech Republic, waiting for a call. #Coyotes , #NYR and #Oilers have sniffed around, talked numbers."

"@Aportzline Prospal camp has stayed in touch w #CBJ, but no offers made. Yet. Told Prospal would definitely sign w CBJ again, even take low-ball offer."

That would seem to refute what was said here a few days ago, which was that Prospal's asking price during last season (and into the offseason) was a non-starter.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
That would seem to refute what was said here a few days ago, which was that Prospal's asking price during last season (and into the offseason) was a non-starter.

Well, willingness to take a low-ball offer could be a recent development. Vinnie could want to play, no matter what. He could have signed on with a Czech or KHL team if he wanted to play for the money. That suggests he still wants to play in the NHL.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Would love to have him back.

We're the Blue Jackets. We're always going to have injuries.

Is light years ahead of the current crop of losers on the 3rd/4th lines as well as Umberger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad