Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
jvr please. WE will throw in luke.

lol...yeah...we could only wish.

I will say though, there are a fair amount of Leaf fans who are now starting to turn on JVR....calling him the weak link on the top line.

Ugghh...now you got me thinking about

JVR G Simmonds
Schenn Couts Voracek

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Any word on the Vinny situation and not practicing. Feel bad for the guy, classy guy. Worked with him when he was in Tampa (marketing class won a contest to work directly with his foundation on some fundraising events) guy is hall of fame worthy and deminised to this. I get why Tampa bought him out but does anyone else agree he would have probably faired much better somewhere else. I mean he put in 20 goals last year and was no where near a good season for him.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Not long after he was scratched, a report from TSN's Darren Dreger last week said "some think Lecavalier wants to retire after next season to focus on family" and he would be willing to leave $6 million on the table.

Yesterday, Lecavalier denied that claim and said he intends to honor his deal.

"No," Lecavalier said bluntly. "I'm 34, I'm not 40. I feel good on the ice. I feel like I did 5 years ago. All of the sudden, I'm a healthy scratch. It's frustrating. I know I have a lot in the tank. I know what I can provide on the ice, and I know what I bring off the ice with my teammates."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20141208_Flyers__Lecavalier_trying_to_stay_positive.html

SO THEN WHY HAVEN'T YOU ****ING PROVIDED IT?! This diluted ******* really just needs to waive his NMC. He's frustrated he's a healthy scratch? The fans are frustrated he's not producing when he's on the ice . Looks like we're all just one big cluster**** of frustration. Good talk, Vinny, good talk.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Being a GM is almost like playing Poker.

Homer was impatient and jumped at the opportunities to get the player he wanted. He had balls of steal and did not hestitate to go all in when he felt like it. Yes, it fired back sometimes but he had the reputation of being a tough SOB.

Hextall is more of a wait and hold guy. I just can't tell if he is smart and strategic or tentative and weak. Maybe they have already missed any opportunity to get rid of Lecavalier and Umberger. Come deadline we will finally know how well Hexy knows to play his cards...

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hextall is more of a wait and hold guy. I just can't tell if he is smart and strategic or tentative and weak. Maybe they have already missed any opportunity to get rid of Lecavalier and Umberger. Come deadline we will finally know how well Hexy knows to play his cards...

You have this all wrong. Lecavaliers agent was given permission to negotiate a trade this summer. We would have taken a used puck bag in return. No one wants him. It has nothing to do with Hextall.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Being a GM is almost like playing Poker.

Homer was impatient and jumped at the opportunities to get the player he wanted. He had balls of steal and did not hestitate to go all in when he felt like it. Yes, it fired back sometimes but he had the reputation of being a tough SOB.

Either during the oilers horrible presser or an interview a few days before--Mctavish talked about talking trade with a GM of another team and he felt like the GM was trying to haze him or something--Take advantage of the new guy. We on the oiler board talked and we think it was Hex because similier things we said of the LA GM in how he does things

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
from what I've read about vinny, he is the type of guy who would do this. Great guy off the ice it is a shame he has been so brutal for us, i hope he bows out gracefully.

It is truly shame what's happening with him. I am there with you hoping for graceful exit....or finding a fountain of youth and start playing as he has been expected.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
lol...yeah...we could only wish.

I will say though, there are a fair amount of Leaf fans who are now starting to turn on JVR....calling him the weak link on the top line.

Ugghh...now you got me thinking about

JVR G Simmonds
Schenn Couts Voracek

Leafs fan in peace

JVR has been in a slump the last few games, and its been the bottom three lines scoring. Kessel/JVR/Bozak have been invisible of late. Kessel is injured, Bozak well he's just Bozak, JVR is getting chances but they just haven't been going in. He's been healthy though and that was always my concern, that he was Lupul 2.0.

So I wouldn't say he is the weak link, it seems all three fire together or they do nothing.

Too bad about Vinny, he seemed to playing well when Philly played us.

Do you think its a change of scenery needed with him? Like Berube isn't his style of coach? Or has he simply run out of gas?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Who agreed the signing(or trade) of VL,RJ and Andrew MacDonald?Hextall did the last 2 if i am wright?This is bad,very bad....

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Do you think its a change of scenery needed with him? Like Berube isn't his style of coach? Or has he simply run out of gas?

When he signed, the attraction was Laviolette's up-tempo style as opposed to the structure Berube has tried to implement. It could very well be the recent injuries have caught up to him as well.

Who agreed the signing(or trade) of VL,RJ and Andrew MacDonald?Hextall did the last 2 if i am wright?This is bad,very bad....

Holmgren was at the helm for the Lecavalier and MacDonald signings.

Hextall made the Umberger acquisition with the salary cap situation having a carryover affect.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
You have this all wrong. Lecavaliers agent was given permission to negotiate a trade this summer. We would have taken a used puck bag in return. No one wants him. It has nothing to do with Hextall.

Its not that no one wants him, its that no one wants his contract / service at the cost. Its a horrible value proposition for any NHL franchise, unless you are at the cap floor. The problem with that is that those teams that are at the cap floor are also the basement bunnies in the league and its likely that VLC will not waive his NTC to go to one of those teams.

The Flyers will either move him (and Umberger) at the trade deadline or buy them both out in the offseason. There are enough young kids with ELC type contracts that can take both of their spots / minutes.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Leafs fan in peace

JVR has been in a slump the last few games, and its been the bottom three lines scoring. Kessel/JVR/Bozak have been invisible of late. Kessel is injured, Bozak well he's just Bozak, JVR is getting chances but they just haven't been going in. He's been healthy though and that was always my concern, that he was Lupul 2.0.

So I wouldn't say he is the weak link, it seems all three fire together or they do nothing.

Too bad about Vinny, he seemed to playing well when Philly played us.

The thing with him is he is slow as molasses. He is also one dimensional and a significant defensive liability. So, if he is not scoring, it makes his deficiencies all that more glaring. He is a 30 point / -20 per year player now. At 34 years old and 4.5 million per year for 3 MORE years after this year, its a bitter pill to swallow.

Its hard for me to see another NHL team take a flyer on him. Hextall tried this past summer (though VLC has a NTC clause so presumably gave Hextall a list of teams he was willing to go play for). Perhaps if VLC just outright waives the NTC (ie any team willing), he could be moved.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Its not that no one wants him, its that no one wants his contract / service at the cost. Its a horrible value proposition for any NHL franchise, unless you are at the cap floor. The problem with that is that those teams that are at the cap floor are also the basement bunnies in the league and its likely that VLC will not waive his NTC to go to one of those teams.

The Flyers will either move him (and Umberger) at the trade deadline or buy them both out in the offseason. There are enough young kids with ELC type contracts that can take both of their spots / minutes.

The odds of that happening are slim. They'll both be here next year assuming Vinny doesn't get moved or retires. Hextall will likely play the waiting game with Vinny until he realizes he's done. Umberger will likely be bought out in the Summer of 2016.

The Flyers don't need capspace this offseason with no noteworthy players up for extensions. No need to tie up a bunch of dead capspace for the next 4-6 years when they can wait & cut the years down.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007

VLC and MacDonald are both on Homers plate. RJ Umberger is the only (significant) blemish on Hextalls tenure with the Flyers thus far.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
The odds of that happening are slim. They'll both be here next year assuming Vinny doesn't get moved or retires. Hextall will likely play the waiting game with Vinny until he realizes he's done. Umberger will likely be bought out in the Summer of 2016.

The Flyers don't need capspace this offseason with no noteworthy players up for extensions. No need to tie up a bunch of dead capspace for the next 4-6 years when they can wait & cut the years down.

Vinny would be a 2.8M cap hit for two years, then 2.3m for 1 year and then 800K for 3 years. Vinny has already publicly said he wants to play for two more years. I just can't see that being in O&B. There was a reason why Yzerman bouth him out and sadly Homer did not read the tea leaves on that one.

Umberger is a 1.6m for 4 years buyout.

So, you are looking at 4.4m for the two players for the next three years. That is certainly not that unfathomable to do, assuming you are able to replace them with youngsters who make it a net sum, but give the ice time to younger players to develop and grow.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Vinny for Clarkson they hold salary.... (not that I want that but what else would we possibly get from the Leafs for Vinny)

I actually don't entirely hate the idea of Clarkson on the Flyers, but given his contract and the fact that they're pretty much set at RW...

I mean, if they can deal Read separately before making that trade (we are NOT giving them Vinny and Read for Clarkson), i'd consider it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Vinny would be a 2.8M cap hit for two years, then 2.3m for 1 year and then 800K for 3 years. Vinny has already publicly said he wants to play for two more years. I just can't see that being in O&B. There was a reason why Yzerman bouth him out and sadly Homer did not read the tea leaves on that one.

Umberger is a 1.6m for 4 years buyout.

So, you are looking at 4.4m for the two players for the next three years. That is certainly not that unfathomable to do, assuming you are able to replace them with youngsters who make it a net sum, but give the ice time to younger players to develop and grow.

Did you expect him to confirm the report? He's not finishing his contract, his body just won't allow him. Hextall would look like an idiot if he bought him out only to have Vinny retire a year later leaving the Flyers stuck with capspace from a player that's not even active.

It's not happening, the Flyers are going through another transition year next year. They have no clear cut prospects that need spots cleared for them. They also don't have any contracts that have to be renewed at least none that are big this offseason. We should also avoid free agency again whether we have the space or not.

The cap is stagnating with the Canadian dollar there's no need to dig yourself into a potential hole when if you show some patience the odds are you'll likely be in a more favorable situation down the road than if you rush to judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad