Vinny Lecavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I've always been a HUGE Vinny fan, but this stint for the Flyers will leave a bad taste in my mouth :( I obviously wish he were playing better, and I wish he were treated/positioned better by the coaching staff. Hopefully he can land on his feet somewhere and have some success before hanging them up.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This headline and article is misleading. It's just a rehash of the previous Dreger info, with nothing new added.

Furthermore, there's no proof that VL will "do anything it takes to get out of philly"

Amateurish click bait article

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've always been a HUGE Vinny fan, but this stint for the Flyers will leave a bad taste in my mouth :( I obviously wish he were playing better, and I wish he were treated/positioned better by the coaching staff. Hopefully he can land on his feet somewhere and have some success before hanging them up.

Berube gave him enough chances to make himself useful, possibly even too many.

I like Vinny but it feels like he's trying to justify to himself that it's not him when it is 100% him. I would imagine he'll quickly learn this if he does get a chance elsewhere next year.

RJ8812*

if that the case, then he's going to have to retire. No one wants him

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This headline and article is misleading. It's just a rehash of the previous Dreger info, with nothing new added.

Furthermore, there's no proof that VL will "do anything it takes to get out of philly"

Amateurish click bait article

Yeah, sure enough.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Someone should give a summary of that article so we don't have to click on something written by Randy Miller.

Here's a good bit of the article

Laviolette wound up scoring 20 goals and 37 points in 69 games, but his two-way play, or lack thereof, had the organization seeking to trade him last summer.

One question Lecavalier wouldn't touch is whether he now believes he and the Flyers are not a good fit and being traded would be beneficial for both parties.

"Honestly, I really don't want to comment on that," said Lecavalier, who has scored 405 goals for his 16-year NHL career but just two in 16 games this season and none in his last 12. "Obviously, when you don't play — not just tonight but the previous games playing 10 minutes and 5 minutes and stuff like that — it's definitely hard to produce and show what you can do. At the same time, I don't want to give excuses."

Later in his seven-minute interview, Lecavalier was asked if he's tempted to come out and ask for a trade.

"Definitely, but I don't want to be a distraction," he said. "That's not my style. Some guys might be like that. I'm not. It's not a time now to say things that I might regret and that's definitely not going to help the team."

After being bought out by the Tampa Bay Lightning two summers ago, Lecavalier quickly signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with the Flyers because he thought he'd be a great fit as a second-line center playing in an offense-minded system.

But when the 2013-14 Flyers lost their first three games, Peter Laviolette was fired as head coach and replaced by Craig Berube, who immediately switched to a more defensive system.

"I'm not going to lie and say I didn't go here for Lavy," Lecavalier said. "Of course I did. I met him and (former Flyers GM Paul Holmgren) and had a great meeting. I liked what (Laviolette) said to me. It was obviously a surprise (he was fired), but that's last year and it's a different system and it is what it is. Nothing's always going to be perfect. It's my job to try to work with it and do my best at it."

There were rumors that Ottawa worked a trade with the Flyers that Lecavalier nixed via his no-trade clause — "actually, no," he said Tuesday — and reports that he'd only accept a deal to three teams, two of which were Florida and Tampa Bay.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to comment on that," he said. "That's a legit question, but I'm not there right now. I just want to play better and get better. Yeah, I wouldn't want to comment on that."

Lecavalier did talk about the frustration of being in his situation. When he was asked if he thinks his benching is justified, he answered, "I'm not going to start arguing (with Berube). It's his decision."

Lecavalier clearly thinks that he still can be a 20-25 goals in the NHL with more ice time.

"Oh, definitely," he said. "Yeah. I'm not a different player than last year. I didn't think I had a really good season last year. I had a great start and had a lot of opportunities the first 20 games and then I got hurt and after that (didn't score) as much.

Lecavalier admits that he's lost confidence, but says that Berube benching him isn't a solution to helping him regain it.

"Definitely it's not gonna help," he said. "But that's why I said I've gotta move on mentally and prepare to watch the game tonight and maybe that's going to let me see things that's going to help me with ... maybe more time with the puck.

"When I was injured (this season and in past seasons), I'd watch games. There's nothing you can do about it, but you're up there (in the press box) and kind of watching the game and maybe there are some things that you (see to help you) improve. I'll do that tonight, but as far as sitting out to help the confidence, of course it doesn't."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Here's a good bit of the article

DDQP3ev.gif

I remember that clear as day!!

Wait...

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Randy Miller is such an idiot, I can already see those vultures hoping to make a bigger deal out of this situation.

Huh? This article serves the key purpose of giving the Flyers and Vinny an out. He came here to play for Homer and Lavy. They are gone, so it's OK if he is too.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
"Lecavalier quickly signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with the Flyers because he thought he'd be a great fit as a second-line center playing in an offense-minded system.

But when the 2013-14 Flyers lost their first three games, Peter Laviolette was fired as head coach and replaced by Craig Berube, who immediately switched to a more defensive system."

lol more defensive system. Yes, Lecavalier is struggling because he doesn't get enough opportunity in ice-time and we play too defensive a system under Berube.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
lol more defensive system. Yes, Lecavalier is struggling because he doesn't get enough opportunity in ice-time and we play too defensive a system under Berube.

It's true, wink, wink. Vinny would be great anywhere else but Philly under that ogre coach. ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Huh? This article serves the key purpose of giving the Flyers and Vinny an out. He came here to play for Homer and Lavy. They are gone, so it's OK if he is too.

I don't think the Flyers are going to find any takers for Vinny (although I don't think he's here next year one way or another). I can see clowns like Miller trying to turn this situation into a circus as it drags on was my point.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007

Good god, I wish you were a GM of another NHL team. His sledge hammer feet would land squarely on you desk.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Berube gave him enough chances to make himself useful, possibly even too many.

I like Vinny but it feels like he's trying to justify to himself that it's not him when it is 100% him. I would imagine he'll quickly learn this if he does get a chance elsewhere next year.

Yeah I can't buy into that. I already said he isn't playing well at all, but it's not all on him. Outside of Giroux and Voracek, Berube hasn't really given any player a chance to succeed on this team by putting them (and LEAVING THEM) in a favorable position.

edit: It's not like the guy came to Philly and forgot to play hockey. Something between him and Chief clearly isn't working. He scored 32 points in 39 games his last season in TB and put up respectable numbers the past several seasons despite career altering injuries.

A lot of that blame also goes to Homer too, for building this core of players that can't compete for 60 minutes and can't gel together as a team.

I think guys like Vinny and Umberger, guys who used to wear letters, aren't only added to provide skill and numbers, but leadership and compete level and to spark the locker room...they're looking to try and replace Chris Pronger's voice (and Kimmo's, and Danny's, and now Hartsy's). They're trying to force leadership and it's hurting the product on the ice.

Good god, I wish you were a GM of another NHL team. His sledge hammer feet would land squarely on you desk.

Yeah me too, that's what I'm striving for :laugh:

But no I'd do the same thing other GM's are "interested" are doing: requiring the Flyers to eat a decent portion of his cap hit.

As a GM, you can't play favorites and hurt your team (obviously), and you can take on Vinny and hope he's a better fit in your team's system...but hope isn't worth what he's getting paid, let alone giving up something of value for him.

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The excuses that VL is bad because the system is soooo different now is pure BS. Smells like Flyers PR trying to make people think he only stinks because he's not a fit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I can't buy into that. I already said he isn't playing well at all, but it's not all on him. Outside of Giroux and Voracek, Berube hasn't really given any player a chance to succeed on this team by putting them (and LEAVING THEM) in a favorable position.

edit: It's not like the guy came to Philly and forgot to play hockey. Something between him and Chief clearly isn't working. He scored 32 points in 39 games his last season in TB and put up respectable numbers the past several seasons despite career altering injuries.

A lot of that blame also goes to Homer too, for building this core of players that can't compete for 60 minutes and can't gel together as a team.

I think guys like Vinny and Umberger, guys who used to wear letters, aren't only added to provide skill and numbers, but leadership and compete level and to spark the locker room...they're looking to try and replace Chris Pronger's voice (and Kimmo's, and Danny's, and now Hartsy's). They're trying to force leadership and it's hurting the product on the ice.

Berube has to move people around because of players like Vinny who drag every line they're put on down. Rinaldo has been a better player than him this year, that's not good.

It's a shame but he's done, he's slow & shy's away from contact. The injuries he's piled up over the years have finally got to him. He knows he's just about done himself but he's holding on to a small chance of hope.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Berube has to move people around because of players like Vinny who drag every line they're put on down. Rinaldo has been a better player than him this year, that's not good.

It's a shame but he's done, he's slow & shy's away from contact. The injuries he's piled up over the years have finally got to him. He knows he's just about done himself but he's holding on to a small chance of hope.

I agree, but we'll see what happens. It wouldn't shock me if he went somewhere with an uptempo offense and became a 40-50pt top-6 guy for another season and a half

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would shock me. Even his shot isn't the same this year, weaker and more tentative when he's had scoring chances. He can't skate, won't hit, won't muck in front of the net, I mean he basically wants to park his butt 20 feet away and snipe.

I'd pay half his salary and take a bag of used pucks just to dump his sorry ass, I don't feel sorry for anyone making $4.5M a year going through the motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad