Player Discussion Vincent Trocheck

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Stastny would’ve been a solid option for us but he’s 38 and it’s short term. Locking in Trocheck who can be an effective (or tradeable) player into his 30s for us is valuable. Would it have been preferable to be signing a Larkin or Horvat this off-season for 8+? Idk, but the plan was always clearly to have 3 good centers
Why would we need to sign a center for 8+ mil in that scenario? Chytil would be the 2C, and we could sign a 3C for cheaper or just use Goodrow as the 3C.

It's moot at this point though. By the summer of 2025, the team might look very different. I have to imagine one of Kreider or Trocheck will be gone by then, and possibly Trouba and/or Panarin. 2025 also happens to be the year that McDavid becomes UFA.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Why would we need to sign a center for 8+ mil in that scenario? Chytil would be the 2C, and we could sign a 3C for cheaper or just use Goodrow as the 3C.

It's moot at this point though. By the summer of 2025, the team might look very different. I have to imagine one of Kreider or Trocheck will be gone by then, and possibly Trouba and/or Panarin. 2025 also happens to be the year that McDavid becomes UFA.

Don’t ask me,ask Drury. Eichel, Hertl, Kadri. They had been hunting for an upgrade on Strome for awhile. Trocheck was a cost effective way to get a good all around 2C. Rangers have been unbelievably lucky that Mika has largely stayed healthy. We’re pretty well covered now with Tro & Chytil.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Would be nice if Chytil continues to emerge and become the undisputed 2C

Trocheck can play wing too, so if that happens he can slide up and down top9 with that flexibility

Reactions: B17 Apricots

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Would be nice if Chytil continues to emerge and become the undisputed 2C

Trocheck can play wing too, so if that happens he can slide up and down top9 with that flexibility
I'm all for Chytil to keep playing well but come playoff time I will be happy we have Vinnie. He will not be playing wing. He will be taking almost all of our key faceoffs. I know people want to bash the guy but he is the only guy on the team winning any faceoffs. When was the last time we had a top 6 center that can be counted on to win faceoffs? Vinnie really has become a real legit faceoff guy in the last few years.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm all for Chytil to keep playing well but come playoff time I will be happy we have Vinnie. He will not be playing wing. He will be taking almost all of our key faceoffs. I know people want to bash the guy but he is the only guy on the team winning any faceoffs. When was the last time we had a top 6 center that can be counted on to win faceoffs? Vinnie really has become a real legit faceoff guy in the last few years.
What are his face off #s this year?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What if keeping Tarasenko required moving Trocheck? Would you do it?
I wouldn't. I mean lets see how Tarasenko does first. Is he gonna battle and use all 225 pounds to outwork guys in the corner? I think Trocheck will be pretty valuable come playoff time in several areas of the game. We all love Fil but it's nice to have that strong 2c/3c guy just in case.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm all for Chytil to keep playing well but come playoff time I will be happy we have Vinnie. He will not be playing wing. He will be taking almost all of our key faceoffs. I know people want to bash the guy but he is the only guy on the team winning any faceoffs. When was the last time we had a top 9 center that can be counted on to win faceoffs? Vinnie really has become a real legit faceoff guy in the last few years.
Fixed.

At 5v5 our top two centers are zib and chytil at this point and the team is better off for it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Fixed.

At 5v5 our top two centers are zib and chytil at this point and the team is better off for it.
I'm thrilled with how Chytil is playing but come playoff time we will be using Vince over and over again in key situations when you need to win a faceoff. Don't forget how helpless we felt in last years playoffs in the games that we were dominated in the dot. The ability to win draws gives you the ability to ice the puck without fear. Gives you an additional 20-35 seconds of offensive zone possession on power plays. I know some of the alternate guys on this board think faceoffs do not mean anything but players and coaches know different. That is why they are fought for so hard in the playoffs.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Trocheck is so much more effective when he isn't over played. His role and mins being cut back are just finally putting him in a place to succeed and will help this team even more rather than forced square peg round hole.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Trocheck is so much more effective when he isn't over played. His role and mins being cut back are just finally putting him in a place to succeed and will help this team even more rather than forced square peg round hole.
What was his role before and what is it now (and particularly once The Template solidifies itself)? Obviously getting PP whacked is gonna hurt his TOI a lot but I think you are overstating things with the peg analogy.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What was his role before and what is it now (and particularly once The Template solidifies itself)? Obviously getting PP whacked is gonna hurt his TOI a lot but I think you are overstating things with the peg analogy.
He has gone from game of 20+ mins a night (including several OVER 24 mins) to now 16-18 mins. He isn't being asked to replace strome's offense anymore the way he was expected to at the start of the season. Pressure has come off of him and he will be a better player bc of it. He shouldn't be playing Mika mins and honestly it's no wonder he hit a wall a few weeks ago playing more than he ever has. The cutback is good for everyone.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
He has gone from game of 20+ mins a night (including several OVER 24 mins) to now 16-18 mins. He isn't being asked to replace strome's offense anymore the way he was expected to at the start of the season. Pressure has come off of him and he will be a better player bc of it. He shouldn't be playing Mika mins and honestly it's no wonder he hit a wall a few weeks ago playing more than he ever has. The cutback is good for everyone.
He’s on pace to replace stromes offense. Strome had 54 in 74 and Trocheck is on pace for 55 in 74.

He’s a #2C. It’s ok to have 2- 2Cs on the roster behind Mika. Don’t disagree about about spreading around the mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad