Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Not sure why Husso is getting so much angst throw at him from us.

Couple weeks ago, I mentioned that the backup goalie needs to win at least half of his starts or else he needs to be moved out.

Husso is currently winning more than half his starts, so, in that respect, he’s fine by me. A cheap backup who will win at least half and maybe more than half of his starts.

He’s played in 11 games with only one not factoring into his win-loss record, which is 6-3-1.

I know his GAA and Save% are terrible, but I’m not too worried about that as long as we see incremental improvement WHILE winning more than 50% of the games in which he starts.

Yes...I know....slightly more than 50% is slightly better than shitty, but it is the bare minimum.
There's a reason the vast majority of hockey players aren't goalies. Very few actually have any idea what it's about. Now transpose that ratio onto the fanbase, and you have some clue why unless every goalie is Patrick Roy he's viewed as a failure.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Husso should never have been put in this situation. I don't see him as any better than an AHL goalie, from what I've seen so far. This is what happens when you let go of a 1A goalie trying to resign a guy that was never going to stay.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Husso should never have been put in this situation. I don't see him as any better than an AHL goalie, from what I've seen so far. This is what happens when you let go of a 1A goalie trying to resign a guy that was never going to stay.

Jake Allen was one of the worst goalies in the league when given a 1A workload. His performance in 2017-2019 was worse than what we've gotten from Husso.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Jake Allen was one of the worst goalies in the league when given a 1A workload. His performance in 2017-2019 was worse than what we've gotten from Husso.
Really? I checked the stats. I think we've gotten it all wrong.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Are we still one of best defenses?
Maybe you can give answer to that?

giphy-downsized.gif

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
He made some emphatic saves during the LA game that made me think he's a gamer and he's here to stay.

I admit, I was on the "Husso sucks" (in fact, earlier in the thread I referred to him as "hot garbage" bandwagon early last season, and then his first shutout against Minnesota made a believer out of me.

This latest performance gives me a lot of hope.

Hopefully, the romanticization of Jake Allen is over with, as now we have a capable backup and a solid goalie tandem. :nod:

EDIT:

Hot garbage

Also, I was wrong. I'm sorry, Ville. :nod: :dunce: :heart:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranksu and mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He made some emphatic saves during the LA game that made me think he's a gamer and he's here to stay.

I admit, I was on the "Husso sucks" (in fact, earlier in the thread I referred to him as "hot garbage" bandwagon early last season, and then his first shutout against Minnesota made a believer out of me.

This latest performance gives me a lot of hope.

Hopefully, the romanticization of Jake Allen is over with, as now we have a capable backup and a solid goalie tandem. :nod:

EDIT:

Also, I was wrong. I'm sorry, Ville. :nod: :dunce: :heart:
Hey, the criticism was very valid at the time. He was awful in most games and got bailed out by the team unironically given how bad the team was all year. He went 9-6-1 but had an awful gaa over 3 and bad sv% under .900. By all accounts, there were plenty of goalies who could do as good, if not better than what he was giving. He's lucky though, because even though progression isn't necessarily linear, if there were other/better options wthin the organization, I think they would've gone to those rather than him. He came back to training camp and apparently looked good, and proved it with a shutout against a decent Kings offense. I'd like to see 2 or so games before I am aboard the Husso train, but I really do hope he can prove he's a good backup/1B option for this team.

Reactions: Meatball

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
His size is an asset and his positioning against LA was strong. Very few (2?) rebounds.

Definitely has the ability to be a solid backup to Binnnington this year and a potential starter when the chance comes.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was happy to see a good performance out of Husso, but some of the comments seem way too quick to anticipate a solid season from him. I’d like to see some consistency first. The physical tools were never the question. It’s been his mental preparation. One strong start is a step the right direction.

NZ Hockey

Mar 10, 2021
I was happy to see a good performance out of Husso, but some of the comments seem way too quick to anticipate a solid season from him. I’d like to see some consistency first. The physical tools were never the question. It’s been his mental preparation. One strong start is a step the right direction.
Agree. And as a rule of thumb October is not the time to judge anything in the hockey world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad