Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You can always watch someone in order to see mistakes they make in order to prevent yourself from making those mistakes.
Yes ofc. Its was just funny knowing how bad Allen was letting those soft goals (cheated) and just that was added in the article what tip Husso got from Allen. It was funny and all that his mistake now automatically transit to Husso's plays and I'm be doomed with bash Husso letting soft kitten goals. :laugh:

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yes ofc. Its was just funny knowing how bad Allen was letting those soft goals (cheated) and just that was added in the article what tip Husso got from Allen. It was funny and all that his mistake now automatically transit to Husso's plays and I'm be doomed with bash Husso letting soft kitten goals. :laugh:
Haha exactly.

I did think it was interesting Husso talking about the difference between Olympic vs North American size ice rink and how he feels more at home in North American sized rink now after several years.

Reactions: Ranksu

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Haha exactly.

I did think it was interesting Husso talking about the difference between Olympic vs North American size ice rink and how he feels more at home in North American sized rink now after several years.
Euro goalies usually take a while to adjust, just as North American goalies take time to adjust to Olympic sized ice. The angles are completely different.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Husso showing his equipment's. Shame its just in finnish. He has tweek his his stuff quite a lot. Funny note he revealed he tried last season couple times to score, happend in same match, tho didn't say what was the game he tried.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Husso has improved game if you compare first games vs recent ones. 8 games in NHL level. He is long way from being good back-up goaltender. His confidence is building up slowly. Every win for his repertoire is like putting money in bank.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Husso has improved game if you compare first games vs recent ones. 8 games in NHL level. He is long way from being good back-up goaltender. His confidence is building up slowly. Every win for his repertoire is like putting money in bank.

He hasn't been good enough so far this year, BUT he has been getting better! Definitely trending in the right direction. Needs to clean up some rebounds and be more patient/calm in net IMO, both of which are very solvable issues.

Reactions: Ranksu

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He hasn't been good enough so far this year, BUT he has been getting better! Definitely trending in the right direction. Needs to clean up some rebounds and be more patient/calm in net IMO, both of which are very solvable issues.
The most important thing for his development is to continue to get game reps. There is only so much you can clean up in practice. It will be interesting to see if he gets the start in one of the back-to-back games against Vegas next weekend after this solid start.

Reactions: Reality Czech

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
5-0-0 on the road this year and a gaa 2.89 of and sv% of 0.911. Look, he hasn't been great necessarily, but he's playing adequate. I think once he gets more reps. he's going to be fine. Until he gets comfortable in a backup role, he's prob going to hover around 2.8-2.9 gaa and about a .910 sv%. He's shown ability to be really good in Liiga and has been really good in the AHL. Don't know why he fell off a few years ago, but he should be fine.

Reactions: Brian39 and Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
5-0-0 on the road this year and a gaa 2.89 of and sv% of 0.911. Look, he hasn't been great necessarily, but he's playing adequate. I think once he gets more reps. he's going to be fine. Until he gets comfortable in a backup role, he's prob going to hover around 2.8-2.9 gaa and about a .910 sv%. He's shown ability to be really good in Liiga and has been really good in the AHL. Don't know why he fell off a few years ago, but he should be fine.
Injuries.

His toolbox is there, but can he find it. If he found what I have seen, he can be force that you cant easily pass.

My praises him being calm, top end rebound control and make himself as big as possible isnt there yet. Noted above. But when those his biggest attributes are on, he is on zone.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Injuries.

His toolbox is there, but can he find it. If he found what I have seen, he can be force that you cant easily pass.

My praises him being calm, top end rebound control and make himself as big as possible isnt there yet. Noted above. But when those his biggest attributes are on, he is on zone.
Some say he'd be better off training with a goalie coach that tailors to his style. From what I've heard, his rebound control isn't where he'd probably like it to be and his glove hand is much weaker than Binnington's. Hopefully once he puts the work in, we'll start to see his numbers rise

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Some say he'd be better off training with a goalie coach that tailors to his style. From what I've heard, his rebound control isn't where he'd probably like it to be and his glove hand is much weaker than Binnington's. Hopefully once he puts the work in, we'll start to see his numbers rise

It’s a shame we can’t have Moose help him.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Injuries.

Pretty sure it was a groin or a knee injury, two of the worst for a goalie.
Binnington doesn’t have the greatest rebound control either. One of the things we did best during the Cup run was cleaning those up and taking away 2nd chances.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
this guy is not a NHL goalie.
Hot garbage
You guys made my day.

giphy.gif

Reactions: jura

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Needs extensive work on his glove hand. He really shouldn't be trusted in these games against solid opponents. I was surprised to see him get the start tonight

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The vitriol directed at Husso over his tendency to give up early goals has probably bothered me more than it should have, and it is certainly deserved to a degree, but I thought I would throw some numbers out into the discussion for some perspective about his larger body of work so far.

His numbers in 9 starts so far in his career are 5-3-1 (.611 points %) with a 3.04 GAA and a .893 SP. Not great and certainly not what you would hope for in any goalie.

If we suspend reality a little bit and give him a mulligan on his first start, his numbers in his last 8 starts are 5-2-1 (.688 points %) with a 2.78 GAA and a .900 SP. Still below average, but borderline passable for a backup, especially one so early in his career.

Further bending reality, assuming that the first goal he gives up is an average of 3 minutes into the game and on his 2nd shot faced, his numbers after giving up the 1st goal would be a 2.14 GAA and a .923 SP. That's the goalie we've been looking for and, hopefully, the one we will see going forward.

Obviously it would be really nice for him to be locked in early, NOT give up the early goal, and perform for the entire game like he does after giving up the early goal. I just feel like a little more experience and some coaching about being ready for early game defensive breakdowns might reveal a more-than-adequate backup, even if he never pans out as a starter like we've hoped he would. I just think these posters who want to throw dirt on the grave of his NHL career after 9 starts are doing so prematurely. The fact that Berube keeps throwing him out there instead of going to Gilles should be enough to indicate that the coaching staff sees something worth waiting for. I expect he'll get the Friday start against Anaheim so hopefully he can start strong there and build on that experience.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
His numbers in 9 starts so far in his career are 5-3-1 (.611 points %) with a 3.04 GAA and a .893 SP. Not great and certainly not what you would hope for in any goalie.

If we suspend reality a little bit and give him a mulligan on his first start, his numbers in his last 8 starts are 5-2-1 (.688 points %) with a 2.78 GAA and a .900 SP. Still below average, but borderline passable for a backup, especially one so early in his career.

Further bending reality, assuming that the first goal he gives up is an average of 3 minutes into the game and on his 2nd shot faced, his numbers after giving up the 1st goal would be a 2.14 GAA and a .923 SP. That's the goalie we've been looking for and, hopefully, the one we will see going forward.

I couldn't help but read this as if it were stated by this guy:

joXNxm.gif

Intellect.gif

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Not sure why Husso is getting so much angst throw at him from us.

Couple weeks ago, I mentioned that the backup goalie needs to win at least half of his starts or else he needs to be moved out.

Husso is currently winning more than half his starts, so, in that respect, he’s fine by me. A cheap backup who will win at least half and maybe more than half of his starts.

He’s played in 11 games with only one not factoring into his win-loss record, which is 6-3-1.

I know his GAA and Save% are terrible, but I’m not too worried about that as long as we see incremental improvement WHILE winning more than 50% of the games in which he starts.

Yes...I know....slightly more than 50% is slightly better than shitty, but it is the bare minimum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad