Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He is pricing himself off the team beyond this year, but I'm still inching closer toward getting a Husso jersey. I wore #35 in college and he has been a joy to watch this year.
I wouldn't write him off yet. If Tank is dealt (presumably in offseason) or Perron walks, we could have room to keep him. Hofer has struggled a bit so don't think thye would be comfortable going into next season with him as backup. Having Husso for another 2-3 years could be doable.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
While he could get a 2year-2mil contract (or more from a desperate GM) I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 year prove it deal. This is the first time since 2017-18 he's had a save% over ,910 and GAA under 2.5 on north American ice. GMs might look at than and question if this was just a hot steak or he finally turned the corner.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wouldn't write him off yet. If Tank is dealt (presumably in offseason) or Perron walks, we could have room to keep him. Hofer has struggled a bit so don't think thye would be comfortable going into next season with him as backup. Having Husso for another 2-3 years could be doable.
Assuming he isn't actually a top 10 goalie league-wide, I'm not worried about fitting him under next year's cap because we've got flexibility there. But I don't see how we do it the year after and he is for sure going to demand a 2+ year deal unless you can pony up a significant premium on a 1 year deal (which I'm not sure we can do).

We only have 8 guys signed beyond 2022/23, but they chew up $45.575M of the cap. All of them besides Buch and Scandella have full trade protection. I'd like to see Scandella moved by then, but his replacement will almost certainly cost more. Thomas/Kyrou are going to be due very large raises and ROR will be due either a large raise or will depart and create a huge hole. The $37 or $38M in space we have for 2023/24 is already mostly spoken for. Thomas/Kyrou/ROR will be $20-25M of that. Already you are down to just $12-18M to fill a dozen roster spots, including either retaining or replacing the roles currently filled by Perron, Tarasenko, Barby, and Sunny. That means that you can really only afford to give out a few contracts that aren't ELCs are cheap vets. Or you let ROR walk and hope you can replace a high end top 6 center.

I just don't know if we can build a competitive roster after next season if we are spending $8M+ in net.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Assuming he isn't actually a top 10 goalie league-wide, I'm not worried about fitting him under next year's cap because we've got flexibility there. But I don't see how we do it the year after and he is for sure going to demand a 2+ year deal unless you can pony up a significant premium on a 1 year deal (which I'm not sure we can do).

We only have 8 guys signed beyond 2022/23, but they chew up $45.575M of the cap. All of them besides Buch and Scandella have full trade protection. I'd like to see Scandella moved by then, but his replacement will almost certainly cost more. Thomas/Kyrou are going to be due very large raises and ROR will be due either a large raise or will depart and create a huge hole. The $37 or $38M in space we have for 2023/24 is already mostly spoken for. Thomas/Kyrou/ROR will be $20-25M of that. Already you are down to just $12-18M to fill a dozen roster spots, including either retaining or replacing the roles currently filled by Perron, Tarasenko, Barby, and Sunny. That means that you can really only afford to give out a few contracts that aren't ELCs are cheap vets. Or you let ROR walk and hope you can replace a high end top 6 center.

I just don't know if we can build a competitive roster after next season if we are spending $8M+ in net.
We are gonna have huge challenge that year regardless. I don’t think that the 2-3mm we pay Husso is necessarily fatal. And he would be tradeable at that number anyway.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

We got options in the pipeline, I'd be more concerned with continuing to draft well. Springfield has proven to be clutch af when we need help, so our scouts and front office are doing everything right.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We are gonna have huge challenge that year regardless. I don’t think that the 2-3mm we pay Husso is necessarily fatal. And he would be tradeable at that number anyway.
If Husso "only" costs $2-$3M AAV then I'm very unsure that he's a solution moving forward. He'll cost more than that if he outplays Binner in the 2nd half of the season and looks competent in the playoffs. If he doesn't do those things, then I'm not sure it is fatal to lose him.

To be that price, the consensus around him will need to be that he showed big red flags down the stretch this year and may or may not have what it takes to competently start 40 games in the NHL or be a playoff guy. I hope he'd be tradeable at that number, but it might cost an asset if he flounders

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We got options in the pipeline, I'd be more concerned with continuing to draft well. Springfield has proven to be clutch af when we need help, so our scouts and front office are doing everything right.
Our depth has been clutch filling into the bottom 6 in short bursts. That is much different than replacing 3+ top 9 forwards AND the entire 4th line. Not to mention the lack of D prospects looking poised to take over middle pairing duty. The limited money we have also needs to account for the D group beyond Parayko/Faulk/Krug/Scandella. If we're upgrading Scandella it needs to go toward paying for that upgrade. The D isn't good enough to compete by filling in the bottom half with internal options and cheap vets. We should be able to keep Mikkola under $2M for 2023/24 if we give him a 2 year deal this summer, but that's still eating into some of that money.

I don't think we have the pipeline to fill 6+ spots with internal guys over the next couple years.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think we should just assume that Tarasenko is gone unless other information is made public. That gives us 7.5 mil to work with, whether that is extending Kyrou and Thomas (I think they'll get deals that are exactly the same), giving ROR a raise if that's what he desires (he could be more concerned with winning and may take a pay cut like guys in TB), or use it to shore up the defense. Scandella is probably trade bait as well just given the depth we have and his overall play, so there's another 3.275 mil you can get. Then I think we need to talk about the cap raising after players have paid off their escrow(??), which will really start to give teams more flexibility. I worry what Barbashev will ask for, but this is a career season and not too many players can truly ask for a ton of money based on one year. There are people who do it, but I think we could potentially get him for a 1-1.5 mil raise assuming he returns to a 30 point player. Then it's anyone's guess who will fill out the bottom pairing on the defense if we just assume this is the lineup we are going with. I think there will be some tough decisions to make, but Army is a talented GM and has built multiple championship teams even if the one we had during the 2010s didn't win it (Backes captaining). Perron may or may not return to form so there is a potential decrease or wash on salary. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how the team will look in a year or 2, but Armstrong has been able to keep us competitive despite teams like Winnipeg, Colorado, Nashville, and Minnesota still being relevant.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we should just assume that Tarasenko is gone unless other information is made public. That gives us 7.5 mil to work with, whether that is extending Kyrou and Thomas (I think they'll get deals that are exactly the same), giving ROR a raise if that's what he desires (he could be more concerned with winning and may take a pay cut like guys in TB), or use it to shore up the defense. Scandella is probably trade bait as well just given the depth we have and his overall play, so there's another 3.275 mil you can get. Then I think we need to talk about the cap raising after players have paid off their escrow(??), which will really start to give teams more flexibility. I worry what Barbashev will ask for, but this is a career season and not too many players can truly ask for a ton of money based on one year. There are people who do it, but I think we could potentially get him for a 1-1.5 mil raise assuming he returns to a 30 point player. Then it's anyone's guess who will fill out the bottom pairing on the defense if we just assume this is the lineup we are going with. I think there will be some tough decisions to make, but Army is a talented GM and has built multiple championship teams even if the one we had during the 2010s didn't win it (Backes captaining). Perron may or may not return to form so there is a potential decrease or wash on salary. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical about how the team will look in a year or 2, but Armstrong has been able to keep us competitive despite teams like Winnipeg, Colorado, Nashville, and Minnesota still being relevant.
Using all of Tarasenko's cap space on Thomas/Kyrou gets them to $6.55M each. Unless their 1st halves were major hot streaks, I don't think that gets it done. The market for young forwards got a touch ridiculous last summer.

Suzuki got 8x$7.875M off his ELC after a 60 point pace season.

B Tkachuk got 7x$8.2M off his ELC with essentially three 50 point pace seasons.

Pettersson got 3x$7.35 off his ELC when looking like a consistent 75 point player.

J Hughes got 8x$8M off his ELC. He wasn't close to ppg before the extension, although I think they firmly believed that is what he is.

Barkov got 8x$10M, although his expiring deal would have left him a UFA

Kaprizov got 5x$9M after 55 NHL games looking like a 75 point player

Reihnhart got 3x$6.5M as a 60-65 point player (probably the best age comp to our guys)

Army is a good negotiator and I trust him to get fair deals done with Kyrou/Thomas. But if they keep playing like top line guys, they are going to get paid. They'll eat up all of Tarasenko's cap savings and then some. If they keep playing like the guys we think/hope they are then we are probably talking about spending $10M or so on their raises (plus the $5.6 we are already allocating to them). That is going to eat up all the money saved by replacing Tarasenko and Scandella with ELC contracts. If they cool off and aren't the guys we think/hope then we're probably talking about spending $8M or so on their raises. I hope they make us break the bank.

The HRR debt was reportedly expected/hoped to get paid of by the end of the 2023/24 season, but that was before Omicron caused widespread postponements and limited capacity in Canada. The NHL hasn't hinted to how that impacts their projection, but it is very unlikely that we see much cap movement before out big cap crunch in the summer of 2023. We are probably going to have to ice some barebones depth for a year and then hopefully see a decent cap increase that allows us to fill in depth the following year. The downside is that lots of teams will probably be in that position so the UFA market will be competitive.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Using all of Tarasenko's cap space on Thomas/Kyrou gets them to $6.55M each. Unless their 1st halves were major hot streaks, I don't think that gets it done. The market for young forwards got a touch ridiculous last summer.

Pettersson got 3x$7.35 off his ELC when looking like a consistent 75 point player.

J Hughes got 8x$8M off his ELC. He wasn't close to ppg before the extension, although I think they firmly believed that is what he is.

Reihnhart got 3x$6.5M as a 60-65 point player (probably the best age comp to our guys)

Army is a good negotiator and I trust him to get fair deals done with Kyrou/Thomas. But if they keep playing like top line guys, they are going to get paid. They'll eat up all of Tarasenko's cap savings and then some. If they keep playing like the guys we think/hope they are then we are probably talking about spending $10M or so on their raises (plus the $5.6 we are already allocating to them). That is going to eat up all the money saved by replacing Tarasenko and Scandella with ELC contracts. If they cool off and aren't the guys we think/hope then we're probably talking about spending $8M or so on their raises. I hope they make us break the bank.

The HRR debt was reportedly expected/hoped to get paid of by the end of the 2023/24 season, but that was before Omicron caused widespread postponements and limited capacity in Canada. The NHL hasn't hinted to how that impacts their projection, but it is very unlikely that we see much cap movement before out big cap crunch in the summer of 2023. We are probably going to have to ice some barebones depth for a year and then hopefully see a decent cap increase that allows us to fill in depth the following year. The downside is that lots of teams will probably be in that position so the UFA market will be competitive.
Maybe I made the wrong impression with my comment, because I totally agree with you. I was just mentioning that Tarasenko will likely be gone, and so his salary will help with the extensions of Kyrou and Thomas. I firmly believe they will command much larger salaries and likely it would take Scandella's contract as well to compensate for most if not all of their raises. I'm not sure I want to even speculate how the roster will shake up next season because things change so quickly and I'm not inside the meetings they're having.

From what I heard, it would take about 3 years-ish to pay off the debt, and after that we would see salary caps raise dramatically. The science looks promising regarding omicron and the pandemic becoming endemic here in the US and possibly Canada, so maybe then we can start to see things returning to some sort of normalcy. The problem is that we will have to deal with covid for probably the rest of our lives now, and I'm not sure the NHL is ready to come to terms with that as having a bunch of cases spike because of a game would be a PR issue (I don't even think it would be a big deal honestly). Idk, I hope we're able to have a normal playoffs, though I suspect that it will take a bit longer for this virus to become endemic, maybe sometime May or June.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
While he could get a 2year-2mil contract (or more from a desperate GM) I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 year prove it deal. This is the first time since 2017-18 he's had a save% over ,910 and GAA under 2.5 on north American ice. GMs might look at than and question if this was just a hot steak or he finally turned the corner.

Yeah, would be risky if he continues to play well and then keeps it up next year

I think the safest play is to go 1 year, relatively cheap as a prove it. It’s probably best for both sides.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah, would be risky if he continues to play well and then keeps it up next year

I think the safest play is to go 1 year, relatively cheap as a prove it. It’s probably best for both sides.

This two sentences don't go together; they're mutually exclusive unless Ville Husso is some sort of indentured servant.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

I think at this point, you would keep Husso no matter the cost, since the team basically turns into a pile of rubble without him in the net.

If the trend continues the rest of the season for the tandem, I would do my best to try trade Binnington with some amount retained, probably up to 30%. Binner isn't really an NHL caliber starter at the moment. He could get back to his level in 2020, but barring that, we cannot have him going into the next season as our starter.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think at this point, you would keep Husso no matter the cost, since the team basically turns into a pile of rubble without him in the net.

If the trend continues the rest of the season for the tandem, I would do my best to try trade Binnington with some amount retained, probably up to 30%. Binner isn't really an NHL caliber starter at the moment. He could get back to his level in 2020, but barring that, we cannot have him going into the next season as our starter.
This is the thing that I think a lot of people lose sight of. We may have no choice but to pay whatever it takes to keep Husso for at least 2-3 years if Binnington shows no sign this season of returning to his 2019-2020 form. We may very well end up having to spend $9M-$10M on goaltending next season and find the money somewhere else (not bring back Perron?) or risk spending the whole year lamenting that poor goaltending derailed our season. Right now we've got Husso saving the bacon, but if you let him go who steps into THAT role? Lindgren? Good luck now that he's back to being JAG in the AHL.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This is the thing that I think a lot of people lose sight of. We may have no choice but to pay whatever it takes to keep Husso for at least 2-3 years if Binnington shows no sign this season of returning to his 2019-2020 form. We may very well end up having to spend $9M-$10M on goaltending next season and find the money somewhere else (not bring back Perron?) or risk spending the whole year lamenting that poor goaltending derailed our season. Right now we've got Husso saving the bacon, but if you let him go who steps into THAT role? Lindgren? Good luck now that he's back to being JAG in the AHL.
I heard Devils need a goalie and they have a ton of cap space. Binnington 1 for 1 for Blackwood?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

I guess the only other potential solution is to hope that Hofer is ready by this time next year to take the reins of a starter, I wouldn't hold my breath for that though.

There is still 3 months to go in the season, so thing can definitely still change. But Binnington is not a starter any more in this league (may not even be a full time NHL caliber player if he's consistently awful like the last couple of months). If that trend continues, I would try to pawn him off at anyone, with some retention, given that some may still see the residual shine in his 2019 performance.

I bet that Toronto fans have regretted for years in getting Raycroft instead of hanging onto Rask (who at the time was a high end up and coming prospect), mostly based on 1.5 seasons of elite play from Raycroft. We cannot make the same mistake, otherwise our already tenuously open window slams shut.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Totally agree. It’ll be interesting to see how the playoffs play out, but if things end this season like how they are now, you have almost no choice but to sign husso. But it could be costly

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I guess the only other potential solution is to hope that Hofer is ready by this time next year to take the reins of a starter, I wouldn't hold my breath for that though.

There is still 3 months to go in the season, so thing can definitely still change. But Binnington is not a starter any more in this league (may not even be a full time NHL caliber player if he's consistently awful like the last couple of months). If that trend continues, I would try to pawn him off at anyone, with some retention, given that some may still see the residual shine in his 2019 performance.

I bet that Toronto fans have regretted for years in getting Raycroft instead of hanging onto Rask (who at the time was a high end up and coming prospect), mostly based on 1.5 seasons of elite play from Raycroft. We cannot make the same mistake, otherwise our already tenuously open window slams shut.

While I know fans are prone to exaggeration, I guarantee the Blues players and coaches don't feel this way. They don't throw their teammate under the bus after a slump, even a prolonged one. Did anyone hear ROR's comments about Binner after the loss to the Flames? People need to chill out a bit.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Man it would be cool to see Husso duel with Shesterkin and Vasilevskiy year-in and year-out for Vezinas and the claim of league's best goalie; but it's sure going to sting when he's doing it in another jersey because we couldn't afford to pay more than $1.5M for a backup goalie. :laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I expect the modest cap increase (1-2M) to still occur as a nod to the players missing the Olympics. But if not, we are looking at a situation where the cap will start making a steeper rise when the debt is paid. I’m wondering if some guys may try to structure contracts intended to get them to UFA to coincide with the flood of cap space when that happens. Maybe someone like Kyrou signs a shorter contract in anticipation of a bigger long-term deal a couple years later.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
While I know fans are prone to exaggeration, I guarantee the Blues players and coaches don't feel this way. They don't throw their teammate under the bus after a slump, even a prolonged one. Did anyone hear ROR's comments about Binner after the loss to the Flames? People need to chill out a bit.

Maybe you failed to completely read what I said, but I'll quote for you again. This is what I actually said:

I never said anything about the current slump being sufficient to cast him in that light. But if and when that continues, at some point late in the season, we will inevitably have to conclude the likely scenario:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Haven't seen it mentioned and it isn't a huge deal, but Husso is now the NHL's official leader in SV% an GAA. You have to have played in 31% of your team's games to qualify for goalie rate stats on the official leaderboard (which is essentially saying you're on pace to play 25 games and qualify for the Jennings). He's now on pace for that and is still sitting #1 in each category with a .945 and 1.81. Not too shabby.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Haven't seen it mentioned and it isn't a huge deal, but Husso is now the NHL's official leader in SV% an GAA. You have to have played in 31% of your team's games to qualify for goalie rate stats on the official leaderboard (which is essentially saying you're on pace to play 25 games and qualify for the Jennings). He's now on pace for that and is still sitting #1 in each category with a .945 and 1.81. Not too shabby.

Right, Husso clearly is one of the better goalies in the league for this season. We don't know whether that would last, but when we get a larger sample size (probably means playing him the majority of the 2nd half o the season), then we would be sure that he is the real deal.

If that occurs, I think the real way forward would be to somehow move Binnington, and open up a spot and cap slot for him for the next few years.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How much horse **** Husso has got here when he first go NA. Everybody doubt he would become something.

No wonder those members who have been wrong going to write down how good he has been.

I have been quiet about Husso recently. I have drum Husso train right when he was drafted.

Husso and Saros were back in WJC times Finland best goaltender prospects. Looks like it take more time to Husso solve the puzzle longer than Saros. Looks like soon it will be Husso > Saros.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How much horse **** Husso has got here when he first go NA. Everybody doubt he would become something.

No wonder those members who have been wrong going to write down how good he has been.

I have been quiet about Husso recently. I have drum Husso train right when he was drafted.

Husso and Saros were back in WJC times Finland best goaltender prospects. Looks like it take more time to Husso solve the puzzle longer than Saros. Looks like soon it will be Husso > Saros.

I thought it was weird when Husso was shat upon for his performance last season, especially the "letting in the first shot" thing. Because some of those were absolutely not his fault, it was just pure luck and a bit of an indication of the Blues' defensive issues. I thought it was a bit irresponsible of the media to focus on it the way they did. And then he got consistently better.

He always looked so much calmer in AHL and preseason games, it was odd to me how he seemed nervous in the regular season. But then it seemed to go away later last season. So it doesn't surprise me at all that he's having a much better year. This good? No, I wouldn't have predicted that.

Reactions: Ranksu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad