Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wouldn't expect Husso to be in from most NHL coaches unless there was a back to back.

Fully disagree. Pretty much every NHL coach will play Johnson in the majority of the games. I don't think many coaches would ride him for every game unless he elevates his play and is going above and beyond expectations. If he is playing like an average to below average backup, most coaches would give the 23 year old "future franchise goalie" a start.

I won't have any issue with Yeo starting Johnson in 6 straight if he is posting a .915+ and winning us games. But i have zero expectation of that happening. Last year, Johnson had 31 "6 game windows" total. He had eight total 6 game windows with a SV% above .915. Each of those 6 game windows came during one stretch of 13 games and each window overlapped a 5 game hot streak that was square in the middle. This is a roundabout way of saying that Johnson had one damn good hot streak last year in February and other than that didn't have a single good 6 game window. Expecting him to play like an average or better goalie over the next 2 weeks is expecting him to do something he did once last season.

Given how he looked in relief against the Jackets and in his one start against the Ducks, I don't have super high hopes. I haven't been impressed with him thus far and I was excited when we brought him in because I thought his style would mesh well with our system. Then we changed the system. I'm expecting mediocre to adequate goaltending and if that is what we get then most coaches would give Husso a start.

Reactions: tomin

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They’re going to give Husso playing time unless Johnson sets the world on fire. If he wasn’t planning on getting any games they would’ve called up Binnington. Husso needs to play and will play unless it’s a super short term injury for Allen which doesn’t seem likely.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Fully disagree. Pretty much every NHL coach will play Johnson in the majority of the games. I don't think many coaches would ride him for every game unless he elevates his play and is going above and beyond expectations. If he is playing like an average to below average backup, most coaches would give the 23 year old "future franchise goalie" a start.

I won't have any issue with Yeo starting Johnson in 6 straight if he is posting a .915+ and winning us games. But i have zero expectation of that happening. Last year, Johnson had 31 "6 game windows" total. He had eight total 6 game windows with a SV% above .915. Each of those 6 game windows came during one stretch of 13 games and each window overlapped a 5 game hot streak that was square in the middle. This is a roundabout way of saying that Johnson had one damn good hot streak last year in February and other than that didn't have a single good 6 game window. Expecting him to play like an average or better goalie over the next 2 weeks is expecting him to do something he did once last season.

Given how he looked in relief against the Jackets and in his one start against the Ducks, I don't have super high hopes. I haven't been impressed with him thus far and I was excited when we brought him in because I thought his style would mesh well with our system. Then we changed the system. I'm expecting mediocre to adequate goaltending and if that is what we get then most coaches would give Husso a start.
I suppose we will see if Yeo is "most coaches". But it also sounds like you kinda agree with the quoted statement, with the exception of only playing Husso in a back-to-back situation.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
They’re going to give Husso playing time unless Johnson sets the world on fire. If he wasn’t planning on getting any games they would’ve called up Binnington. Husso needs to play and will play unless it’s a super short term injury for Allen which doesn’t seem likely.

This. It doesn’t make sense to call up Husso who is obviously higher on the depth chart than Binnington if they aren’t going to play him. Johnson nor Husso has played well this year so I don’t see why Yeo should be so quick to only play Johnson.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
This. It doesn’t make sense to call up Husso who is obviously higher on the depth chart than Binnington if they aren’t going to play him. Johnson nor Husso has played well this year so I don’t see why Yeo should be so quick to only play Johnson.

We've done it multiple times before. Husso getting reps in NHL practice also helps him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues need to see what Husso can do. They need to play him. Unless Johnson plays really well, Husso should get 25-33% of the games if he looks as good or somewhat better than Johnson. If he looks a LOT better than Johnson, they should ride him till he falters. Johnson didn't look even slightly better than Allen in his few games.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Isn't SA off until Friday? Makes sense to bring up Husso, get him some NHL practices, and see how Allen is. If this is going to be relatively long-term injury they'll either play Husso some or shuttle him back and forth to SA so he can get starts there to stay fresh.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Do we have any idea of the type of injury Allen has?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I saw something earlier where it said he was day to day, so it doesn't look like the automatic concussion protocol kicked in. Sounds like Jake will probably only miss a game or two.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Do we have any idea of the type of injury Allen has?

Whiplash from looking for the puck behind him... :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Quick question. I may have skipped over the answers throughout here.

1. Is Husso going to have to clear waivers?

2. Does Binnington have to clear waivers?

3. I don’t think it matter which one of Johnson/Husso plays. If the defense doesn’t play like it played in Toronto we may have Multiple goalies with sore necks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Quick question. I may have skipped over the answers throughout here.

1. Is Husso going to have to clear waivers?

2. Does Binnington have to clear waivers?

3. I don’t think it matter which one of Johnson/Husso plays. If the defense doesn’t play like it played in Toronto we may have Multiple goalies with sore necks.
No to both.

Allen skated today so I kinda doubt it's a long-term thing.

Team probably plays Johnson on Thursday to be safe but I could see Allen being fine for Saturday.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
It is high time for Husso to play. I think the Blues as an organization wait too long to expose a top goalie prospect such as Husso to the NHL.

Many other organizations seem to take a different approach (Vasy, Soros, Murray, etc.), get them into the NHL at a younger age, and have a better history developing those goalies than the Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad