Prospect Info: Ville Heinola, LD, Finland (20th Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Loving his game. He brings a whole new dimension to the team and he’s really good defensively, especially for an 18 year old.
I’m a little concerned that he was dumping the puck in a lot tonight as he crossed the red line.
Maurice got to him already????

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Loving his game. He brings a whole new dimension to the team and he’s really good defensively, especially for an 18 year old.
I’m a little concerned that he was dumping the puck in a lot tonight as he crossed the red line.

The two times he carried it in he was swarmed and lost possession. More of a common sense thing than anything else. Any coach will tell you that if you can't take the puck in then dumping and chasing will give you a higher probability of making a play then trying to carry it in and losing both possession and momentum.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Maybe it's the state of our defensive corps to begin with, but you overrate him immensely. Yes, I'm sold that he will be a top four defenseman one day... maybe even top pairing. However, he shouldn't see an NHL sheet of ice until he's 20. He's got to be the physically weakest player in the league, he's often scared, he clearly isn't used to the nuances of the smaller ice sheet... it's a feather in his cap that he has done as well as he had. But this is bordering on cruel. Send him down and let him develop properly.

Reactions: HKbleu

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe it's the state of our defensive corps to begin with, but you overrate him immensely. Yes, I'm sold that he will be a top four defenseman one day... maybe even top pairing. However, he shouldn't see an NHL sheet of ice until he's 20. He's got to be the physically weakest player in the league, he's often scared, he clearly isn't used to the nuances of the smaller ice sheet... it's a feather in his cap that he has done as well as he had. But this is bordering on cruel. Send him down and let him develop properly.
No idea what you are watching. Heinola has instincts with the puck nobody else on the Jets D have. Not even Morrissey. Sure he's a little small, but he's still better than most that will be playing ahead of him. He's better than Poolman, Dahlstrom, Bitetto and probably Beaulieu.

His abilities moving forward with the puck more than make up for his current shortcomings elsewhere.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

More likely this guy.

1297643938125_ORIGINAL.jpg

Reactions: hn777 and Duke749

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No idea what you are watching
Took the words out of my mouth. He moves the puck adequately, and better than half of our current defensemen (in other words, better than those who should not be in the NHL). That doesn't mean he's proficient at it yet at this level. The bar on our team is mighty low in that regard. Saying Heinola is the third best defenseman on this current roster is more of an indictment of our team than anything else.

Most of the time, he makes a ten foot pass to a teammate after having the puck on his stick for less than half a second out of fear of giving the puck up. That's better than making a bad play, I guess, but that's a sign of someone who isn't ready for this level of play.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This take is bad.

He has been good in every game he has played in except 1. The only thing you got right is that he is physically weak.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This take is bad.

He has been good in every game he has played in except 1. The only thing you got right is that he is physically weak.
I didn't say he was bad. If I was to give him a grade, it would be between a C-plus and a B-minus. There is just so much blind hope being laid on this kid.
Morrissey wasn't ready at his age. Schiefele wasn't ready at his age, and he isn't ready yet. Accept it.

Reactions: larmex99 and HKbleu

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I didn't say he was bad. If I was to give him a grade, it would be between a C-plus and a B-minus. There is just so much blind hope being laid on this kid.
Morrissey wasn't ready at his age. Schiefele wasn't ready at his age, and he isn't ready yet. Accept it.
You're only evidence of this is saying he is weak.

Every part of his game except for physicality is ready for the NHL. I don't actually hate if we send him down but saying he shouldn't sniff the NHL until 20 is just dumb. He could easily play this entire season with no ill effects on his development, if Maurice was to use him optimally (huge if).

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Wow, you are seriously watching another player than I am, because I see nothing of what you are.

Often scared? This is quite funny to me because I have been very impressed with his willingness to go into corners with bigger players and get pucks off walls and out of corners. Its actually the exact opposite of scared IMO.

Isn't use to the nuances? His game screams poise, screams intelligence. Last night he was making reads and plays of a 10 year vet. He uses the ice well and makes smart plays consistently.

Lol cruel, what are you watching? He has been our 3rd best dman this season playing a smart efficient and poised game.

Are we talking about same player? Heinola?

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Lol cruel, what are you watching? He has been our 3rd best dman this season playing a smart efficient and poised game.
Yeah, he's better than Bitteto, Kovalev and Dalhstrom. High praise.
Okay, instead of arguing in circles, you're right... I agree that he's the greatest rookie defenseman since Ray Bourque. Satisfied?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
And your argument is what exactly?
We'll agree to disagree. It's interesting to see the defensiveness of some when I state he's "okay" but not "great" and he's not ready for the NHL right now.
He's been good, one of our better defensemen. Aside from Jmo and Pionk he's probably our 3rd best d-man. That is an indictment of our defense, but still quite impressive he can play 20 minutes a night and look good.

Okay, instead of arguing in circles, you're right... I agree that he's the greatest rookie defenseman since Ray Bourque. Satisfied?
Talk about strawmen.

Reactions: Halberdier

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

You haven't argued anything.

That would require a level of accuracy in your assessment of his game, which honestly is completely out in left field.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He's been good, one of our better defensemen. Aside from Jmo and Pionk he's probably our 3rd best d-man. That is an indictment of our defense, but still quite impressive he can play 20 minutes a night and look good.
You just made my argument for me. On a decent team, there's no way he'd be dressed for these games. He's playing 20 minutes out of necessity, and if looking good means not as slow or out of place than Dalhstrom or Kovalev, then I'll agree.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You just made my argument for me. On a decent team, there's no way he'd be dressed for these games. He's playing 20 minutes out of necessity, and if looking good means not as slow or out of place than Dalhstrom or Kovalev, then I'll agree.
Alexei Kovalev was a hell of a player so that's definitely saying something :sarcasm:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It’s hilarious that what Heinola is being criticized for here, aren’t even the parts of his game that need work. They’re convenient talking points that fit an existing narrative. That’s what happens when you reach conclusions first.

There is lots to improve on but his puck skills and poise aren’t among the priorities. Neither is his courage.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
It’s hilarious that what Heinola is being criticized for here, aren’t even the parts of his game that need work. They’re convenient talking points that fit an existing narrative. That’s what happens when you reach conclusions first.

There is lots to improve on but his puck skills and poise aren’t among the priorities. Neither is his courage.
This is 90% of the posts on HFJets these days.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Took the words out of my mouth. He moves the puck adequately, and better than half of our current defensemen (in other words, better than those who should not be in the NHL). That doesn't mean he's proficient at it yet at this level. The bar on our team is mighty low in that regard. Saying Heinola is the third best defenseman on this current roster is more of an indictment of our team than anything else.

Most of the time, he makes a ten foot pass to a teammate after having the puck on his stick for less than half a second out of fear of giving the puck up. That's better than making a bad play, I guess, but that's a sign of someone who isn't ready for this level of play.

I kind of see what you’re saying from what you’re seeing, but I think you’re assumptions/assessment is more towards the worst case scenario. For the record, I don’t think he stays past 9 games. It goes against everything this organization has done. Laine was the only exception as far as first round picks. Everyone else went back to their respective leagues for at least one more year. The only way I see him staying is if he is a very quick learner over these few weeks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I kind of see what you’re saying from what you’re seeing, but I think you’re assumptions/assessment is more towards the worst case scenario. For the record, I don’t think he stays past 9 games. It goes against everything this organization has done. Laine was the only exception as far as first round picks. Everyone else went back to their respective leagues for at least one more year. The only way I see him staying is if he is a very quick learner over these few weeks.

You're probably right but he already makes us better when he is in the lineup.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
You're probably right but he already makes us better when he is in the lineup.
Yeah, I don't really know why he would be sent back when he's and upgrade to our D lineup, and at least so far has shown that he can play to his strengths with decent minutes on nhl level. ELC slide is of course a good reason, but when it comes to developing isn't it best to play in the highest level league where you're still able to play effectively?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Heinola'a development comes first, but, if he can develop as well in NHL he should stay as he is one of our best and already plays in all situations so that's not something that changes if he goes to a lower level.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
It is gratifying and exciting to conclude that Heinola has clearly shown that he can already play(and play well) at the NHL level, and, to conclude that his presence in the lineup already makes us a better team.We can all get behind those arguments!:thumbu:
But, imo at least, neither of these considerations should determine what to do with Heinola after the next few games have passed. That decision should be based exclusively on the organizations assessment of how/where he should play so as to FURTHER his development both offensively and defensively. We do not want Heinola to simply play on our team - we want him to comfortably and confidently be a leader and top 4 guy at minimum. The issue is how best to get him there in the shortest possible timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad