Prospect Info: Ville Heinola, LD, Finland (20th Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
One of he other posters coined Ville the Kid. Nice. It's early and small sample but boy has he been something else clearing each hurdle. Having a good camp might make the team ! Might play some significant minutes ! Could stay past 9 games ! Kid keep going like this and you'll be in Calder discussion. Unbelievable so far. Looks like my paper boy but smaller. Gotta love him. Put him in the starting 5 tomorrow PoMo please and let the kid hear it
How about "the Heino"

My favorite Hanson brothers song. Chorus would be perfect for his highlights.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Definitely.

AqdPrUn.jpg

Jack Who’s?
Krappo Kakko?

Busts can’t score. 2019 re-draft has Heinola at #1.

It’s fun to jest. I expect him to come down to earth a little especially when injured bodies return. But I fully expect him to stay with the team all year. Even if he had zero points I’d still be singing this same tune. He’s the quintessential modern dman. I never cringed when the puck is on his stick and he’s so heads up I bet he doesn’t even know what colour his skates are.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I also think Chevy has done well in later rounds as well. Assuming Gus and Samberg become NHLers which is quite likely that will equal out to 1 2nd round or later pick a draft year that makes it to the NHL each draft year. Already on the roster, Lowry, Helly, Poolman, Copp, Niku, and Appleton. Add in the promise of Berdin and Suess and I'd expect this is among the better late drafting teams.

He still hasn't had a single 2nd rd pick make it.

Outside the first rd there are Lowry, Hellebuyck and Copp who have clearly made it. That looks like going up this year with Appleton and Niku being added.

There is potential in Samberg, Gustafsson and several others but I'm not counting any of those chickens until they hatch. There is Gawanke, Kovacevic, Green, Chisholm and Vallati who are all showing well so far as well as Berdin and Suess and even Spacek and Harkins have a chance. If half of those make it his later round record will be very good. But as of today it is only 3, or 5 if you want to count Appleton and Niku. (I'm right on the edge with those 2. I fully expect them both to make it this year but they are not written in stone yet. I'm just waiting to see who Mau keeps when the wounded get back. And I forgot Poolman. He is right there with Appleton and Niku even if he ends up spending a lot of time in the PB.)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nice interview of Heinola's small town junior coach (in Finnish):

Valmentaja Kankaanpäästä ihastelee NHL:stä pelipaikan vallanneen Ville Heinolan, 18, satumaista tarinaa – ”’Meidän Ville’ pyörii maailmantähtien seassa”

Only two years back "our Ville" was still, along hockey, playing Finnish baseball with B and C level juniors. Among the best in his age cohort according to the coach.

It's the same sport that Pekka Rinne has told has effected on his own route to a top-level athlete.

The coach has been coaching Ville's age cohort in both sports. The coaches supported and gave siima in good spirit so that the young athlete could practice in both sports, and now young Ville is pulling the matto alta in NHL.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nice interview of Heinola's small town junior coach (in Finnish):

Valmentaja Kankaanpäästä ihastelee NHL:stä pelipaikan vallanneen Ville Heinolan, 18, satumaista tarinaa – ”’Meidän Ville’ pyörii maailmantähtien seassa”

Only two years back "our Ville" was still, along hockey, playing Finnish baseball with B and C level juniors. Among the best in his age cohort according to the coach.

It's the same sport that Pekka Rinne has told has effected on his own route to a top-level athlete.

The coach has been coaching Ville's age cohort in both sports. The coaches supported and gave siima in good spirit so that the young athlete could practice in both sports, and now young Ville is pulling the matto alta in NHL.

For those that don't know Finnish baseball here's a quick video!

Reactions: Moon Man

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They play baseball in Finland? And they have their own style? :eek:
Not baseball, it's a different game, derived from baseball. It's a joke of a game and IMO even pretty shameful but it's popular.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Oh yes. It's like baseball, but completely different.

It's a popular sport in the rural towns in Finland. Who knows if Heinola would've even had chosen hockey if pesäpallo was a bigger sport - it's such a small market that there aren't too many full time professionals. :D

Reactions: Moon Man

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh I agree but I think another year of Junior for EK would have seriously helped his offensive game. burmi had absolutely no business being in the NHL until he had a full junior career and likely a year or 2 of AHL time. Bogo was physically ready but he should have spent another year at the very least in the OHL.

Heinola seems to be progressing along nicely but my major fear is he won't be able to develop his complete offensive game with us this year. He is really being thrust into having to play a strong defensive game that it may hinder his offensive development early on.

Yea I am not a fan of rushing prospects because our D core is in shambles (injuries and turn over). That being said for me watching him he seems to have the mental part of the game down pretty well its just his physical development that needs to come along (by that I mean body maturing). He doesn't look out of place and is pretty aggressive on trying to create some offense when the situation calls for it. I am a bit torn because he seems ready when I watch him play but my instincts tell me you always use at at least one extra season after the draft to develop D men.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yea I am not a fan of rushing prospects because our D core is in shambles (injuries and turn over). That being said for me watching him he seems to have the mental part of the game down pretty well its just his physical development that needs to come along. He doesn't look out of place and is pretty aggressive on trying to create some offense when the situation calls for it. I am a bit torn because he seems ready when I watch him play but my instincts always tell me at least one extra season after the draft for D men helps.

Yeah it's a damn tough choice. We could use him but development should always trump need. We might be a worse team without him this year but that added development could make us a much better team with him next year. Pretty tough to take him out of the lineup now though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah it's a damn tough choice. We could use him but development should always trump need. We might be a worse team without him this year but that added development could make us a much better team with him next year. Pretty tough to take him out of the lineup now though.

Yea at the end of the day if we are planning on healthy scratching Niku I would send Heinola back to develop and give Sami 70 plus games if that is what would happen. Ideally they would both be in the line up but our coach has his blind spots.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

The bases are in a zig-zag-formation, and the pitcher throws straight up-down for the batter, otherwise it's pretty much the same

The Finnish Baseball players are always saying that the Finnish version is more tactical. Maybe because the pitch is a bit slower + easier, so the batter can actually be more accurate on where he wants to direct his shot. The best hitters are pretty damn accurate, they can pinpoint it between the first & second layer of catchers

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not baseball, it's a different game, derived from baseball. It's a joke of a game and IMO even pretty shameful but it's popular.
Please. It’s really shameful to make posts like this. I’m not at all a fan of the Finnish baseball even myself, but still this kind of posts that you just posted reek of bad confrontational attitude and arrogance. I mean who cares WTF you, or me, or anyone else thinks about another sport on this hockey related site? What is your motivation to spew such immature crap? And calling another sport a joke, when posting something like your arrogant post... :huh::thumbd:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I am not a fan of rushing prospects because our D core is in shambles (injuries and turn over). That being said for me watching him he seems to have the mental part of the game down pretty well its just his physical development that needs to come along (by that I mean body maturing). He doesn't look out of place and is pretty aggressive on trying to create some offense when the situation calls for it. I am a bit torn because he seems ready when I watch him play but my instincts tell me you always use at at least one extra season after the draft to develop D men.
I've been conflicted as well. But he seems to be able to handle what is thrown his way. Agreed offense doesn't seem to be sacrificed and if anything he is getting more aggressive with each passing game. I'm leaning to keeping the kid up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really rough game today. He seemed genuinely rattled after the Wild's first goal. Didn't want the puck. His youth really showed. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces back, assuming Maurice gives him another few games.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Really rough game today. He seemed genuinely rattled after the Wild's first goal. Didn't want the puck. His youth really showed. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces back, assuming Maurice gives him another few games.
I think he gets a couple more good looks, but not a lock to stay. Might be best to give him one of the up coming B2B off.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he gets a couple more good looks, but not a lock to stay. Might be best to give him one of the up coming B2B off.

I agree. I think we saw him up against a physical team finally. NJ, NYR, NYI and PIT are pretty soft teams comparatively. He can excel against team who don't bring the type of game that makes refs put the whistles away. I'm not saying the first goal was all on him, looking back there was an obvious penalty there but when teams like the Jets and wild meet there will be a more relaxed set of rules. Heinola needs to learn what he needs to do in order to remain in the play and avoid injury. Liiga is pretty soft compared to the NHL so he is likely going to see some more physical play as the season gets going, especially in our division. The Blues, Preds, Hawks, Stars and Avs can all bring a pretty heavy forecheck.

Reactions: littlerocketboy

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018

It's kinda similar than baseball but not that much, and the translation is 100% the same as pesä is base and ball is pallo.

But players train like any pros, some are paid well too, and there's national wide focus on this shit. Could you ever?

I have always seen similarities with NA and that funny version of cricket what rest of the world say american football.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I agree. I think we saw him up against a physical team finally. NJ, NYR, NYI and PIT are pretty soft teams comparatively. He can excel against team who don't bring the type of game that makes refs put the whistles away. I'm not saying the first goal was all on him, looking back there was an obvious penalty there but when teams like the Jets and wild meet there will be a more relaxed set of rules. Heinola needs to learn what he needs to do in order to remain in the play and avoid injury. Liiga is pretty soft compared to the NHL so he is likely going to see some more physical play as the season gets going, especially in our division. The Blues, Preds, Hawks, Stars and Avs can all bring a pretty heavy forecheck.
I would like to play him exclusively against some tougher/bigger teams to see how he handles it. Only 4 more games allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad