Prospect Info: Ville Heinola, LD, Finland (20th Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A little bit of both I think. There is some evidence that rushing a player to the NHL can result in stunted development. See Evander Kane, Alex Burmistrov and Zach Bogosian.

I think most importantly is you want them to build on their all around game and it is generally hard for an 18 year old to do that in the NHL. Just because they are playing and playing well doesn't mean they are developing. I think that is where a lot of teams get it wrong. They put an 18 year old in the NHL and that 18 is able to keep up but their development gets stunted because all they are doing is keeping up. It can be pretty fickle and has been shown to ruin development for young players more than it helps. Of course there are guys like McDavid who just have nothing left to learn at a lower level and can jump right into your top 6 and be a PPG player. It's much harder to track that with defencemen though and every single minute of development is crucial for them early on in their careers.

I tend to agree with this - but we can't know if a player was ruined or not. We can only see that he disappointed later on. We can't know if that would have been different if his development had been handled differently. He might have done 2-3 years in the AHL and turned out exactly the same. I suspect that EK9 would still have been an ***hole regardless of development. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I tend to agree with this - but we can't know if a player was ruined or not. We can only see that he disappointed later on. We can't know if that would have been different if his development had been handled differently. He might have done 2-3 years in the AHL and turned out exactly the same. I suspect that EK9 would still have been an ***hole regardless of development. :laugh:

Oh I agree but I think another year of Junior for EK would have seriously helped his offensive game. burmi had absolutely no business being in the NHL until he had a full junior career and likely a year or 2 of AHL time. Bogo was physically ready but he should have spent another year at the very least in the OHL.

Heinola seems to be progressing along nicely but my major fear is he won't be able to develop his complete offensive game with us this year. He is really being thrust into having to play a strong defensive game that it may hinder his offensive development early on.

Reactions: FireChevy

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
When counting from elite prospects only count the National Team games where it says (ALL) behind. Ville played around 70 games last season. Cant be arsed to count the exact number.
Whatever the exact number, it's not like he's one of these NCAA guys that play 35 games a year squeezed in between their college courses. Didn't Laine play 100 games one year? These Finnish kids play a pretty full schedule...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh I agree but I think another year of Junior for EK would have seriously helped his offensive game. burmi had absolutely no business being in the NHL until he had a full junior career and likely a year or 2 of AHL time. Bogo was physically ready but he should have spent another year at the very least in the OHL.

Heinola seems to be progressing along nicely but my major fear is he won't be able to develop his complete offensive game with us this year. He is really being thrust into having to play a strong defensive game that it may hinder his offensive development early on.

I don't disagree, at all.

But, once JMo and Bowloo and Kuli get back into the lineup, Heinola might play on the 3rd pair. He would be less pressured there and might develop all aspects of his game.

Actually, results so far show no hindrance to his offensive game, but it is only 4 games. I think it is still going game by game. We'll have a better picture in another week.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So he's definitely winning the Calder right? :naughty:

Definitely.

AqdPrUn.jpg

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

It depends who he plays with as well.

I believe Trouba had his Norris Ceiling taken away by playing so much with Mark Stuart.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes he'd be (gone) too early.

I think even today Hughes and Kakko would likely go ahead of Heinola. He could easily be top 5 though. Trouble with doing re-drafts this early is you can look really dumb in a year or really smart. For all we know Dach becomes an elite #1C 5 or 6 years down the road and he goes #1 in a re-draft.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think even today Hughes and Kakko would likely go ahead of Heinola. He could easily be top 5 though. Trouble with doing re-drafts this early is you can look really dumb in a year or really smart. For all we know Dach becomes an elite #1C 5 or 6 years down the road and he goes #1 in a re-draft.

Yup. But he'd be gone before 20. That would be too early for us.

5-6 years is about the right time to do a redraft.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Guys, this is a hockey forum......not a global economic or political forum. Plz stick to hockey. Thx

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I can't see him getting to us in a re-draft even if it's done today. Could end up being a big steal for us. Right when we needed it the most.

Chevy has drafted very well in the first round - but he has also been lucky that very good players were not taken before he had the chance. That Trouba trade is not looking too bad right now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I can't see him getting to us in a re-draft even if it's done today. Could end up being a big steal for us. Right when we needed it the most.
It might just end up that his development arc hit our draft position perfectly. In drafting kids so young some are rising and some are falling and you have to hope you hit on one going in the right direction. I trust our scouts and Chevy every time the step up to the mic at the draft.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy has drafted very well in the first round - but he has also been lucky that very good players were not taken before he had the chance. That Trouba trade is not looking too bad right now.
I also think Chevy has done well in later rounds as well. Assuming Gus and Samberg become NHLers which is quite likely that will equal out to 1 2nd round or later pick a draft year that makes it to the NHL each draft year. Already on the roster, Lowry, Helly, Poolman, Copp, Niku, and Appleton. Add in the promise of Berdin and Suess and I'd expect this is among the better late drafting teams.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
One of he other posters coined Ville the Kid. Nice. It's early and small sample but boy has he been something else clearing each hurdle. Having a good camp might make the team ! Might play some significant minutes ! Could stay past 9 games ! Kid keep going like this and you'll be in Calder discussion. Unbelievable so far. Looks like my paper boy but smaller. Gotta love him. Put him in the starting 5 tomorrow PoMo please and let the kid hear it

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
One of he other posters coined Ville the Kid. Nice. It's early and small sample but boy has he been something else clearing each hurdle. Having a good camp might make the team ! Might play some significant minutes ! Could stay past 9 games ! Kid keep going like this and you'll be in Calder discussion. Unbelievable so far. Looks like my paper boy but smaller. Gotta love him. Put him in the starting 5 tomorrow PoMo please and let the kid hear it
If he is on the ice tomorrow, there are going to be some amped up folks in the stands!
Keep killin'it kid!

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Buff is watching our games , seeing Heinola play has to get him a little pumped about coming back . A Buff , Heinola pairing would be fantastic .:nod:

Reactions: wraithsonwings

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I also think Chevy has done well in later rounds as well. Assuming Gus and Samberg become NHLers which is quite likely that will equal out to 1 2nd round or later pick a draft year that makes it to the NHL each draft year. Already on the roster, Lowry, Helly, Poolman, Copp, Niku, and Appleton. Add in the promise of Berdin and Suess and I'd expect this is among the better late drafting teams.
Historically our second rounders have sucked. The last 2 (Gus and Samberg) have been very good though. A good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad