Friedman: Viktor Arvidsson available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t know what kind of return he’d fetch, no other teams are going to value him like a top line winger. So unless they’re dealing him for futures it’s hard to see what kind of deal could be had

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds fans have discussed this, and also potentially exposing him to Seattle, in recent weeks. There is by no means any consensus. It would certainly be worth exploring his trade value before making any final decision on his Expansion status.

He's hard-working and skilled. But I think there are two things that have set him back in the last couple years:

1) The injury he got from Bortuzzo really seemed to sap a little bit of the "kamikaze" style out of his game. In addition to just putting him on the shelf for a long stretch, I feel like maybe he's a little more cognizant of his own mortality now. Not to say he's shy or doesn't work hard... but there's a difference between having crazy-fearlessness for a small guy, and... what he is now as just a generally quick and engaged small guy.

2) The Preds have basically taken stretch passes and odd-man rushes out of their game under Hynes as a coach. And Arvidsson used to thrive on receiving stretch passes and scoring off the rush. Nobody is sending him anymore. Hence he doesn't get the same chances to score. He's not a good stationary shooter on the PP, not at all, his bread and butter is as a dynamic scorer, and that part of his game has been neutered by the system lately.

28 yrs old... 3 years at $4.25M... probably not a drastic amount of risk in that... for 15-25 goals in an energetic 2nd line player, it would not be a crippling contract, with some upside of getting back to 30 goals if he landed in the right spot. In Nashville it's not that we can't afford him. It's more just we are thinking of re-tooling a bit, and if Tomasino is ready to step in on RW, and if we accept that Kunin is our 2nd line RW, if we agree that Duchene is better used as a winger than a center, then Arvy's role in the top-6 is not as firmly cemented as it used to be, so it's worth considering the option of moving him. Plus we have a small team in general... finding ways to get a little bigger is probably something Poile realizes he has to look at.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
3 years left may make it attractive for the Devils as a stop gap until we see if one of Foote Holtz Mercer is ready for top line minutes ?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Isn't his back all f***ed up? Would like him on the Isles otherwise
I'm not aware of there being anything known about any lingering health issues for him. But then in Nashville... we wouldn't necessarily know. They are tight with injury information at all times. Although fwiw, his (presumed) back injury from the Bortuzzo crosscheck 2 years ago was always listed as a "lower body injury" and his injury in the playoffs was an unrelated upper body injury. We have never heard of any lingering or long-term damage associated with him. Not physical anyway... although per above I tend to speculate about a little bit of a psychological effect. Or maybe it is just "wisdom".

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What are Preds fans looking for in a return?
I expect there would be a wide range of opinion... some won't want to move him at all. I would be satisfied with a higher 2nd round pick, perhaps. But it would really depend a lot on Expansion factors too... who do we then add to our protected list, who do we project to lose to Seattle, vs. how bad would it be to just lose Arvidsson to Seattle instead... etc. You'd have to know the bigger picture from Poile's chair to decide. But IF I decided to trade Arvidsson, and IF I wasn't worried that would result in somebody I didn't want to lose going to Seattle, then an upper-half 2nd rounder is about the ballpark I'd be looking at.
:dunno:

Reactions: CanuckCity

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Blues spare defenseman Robert Bortuzzo destroyed his career by cross-checking him viciously in the lower back area.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd be happy to give up the Canes 2nd round pick for Arvidsson. Add something smaller on top.

Reactions: DaveG

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I expect there would be a wide range of opinion... some won't want to move him at all. I would be satisfied with a higher 2nd round pick, perhaps. But it would really depend a lot on Expansion factors too... who do we then add to our protected list, who do we project to lose to Seattle, vs. how bad would it be to just lose Arvidsson to Seattle instead... etc. You'd have to know the bigger picture from Poile's chair to decide. But IF I decided to trade Arvidsson, and IF I wasn't worried that would result in somebody I didn't want to lose going to Seattle, then an upper-half 2nd rounder is about the ballpark I'd be looking at.
:dunno:

What about Oilers 2021 1st and Neal @ 50% ($2.875)

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Sounds like a perfect winger to complement Byfield. L.A has cap space and lots of picks.

Reactions: Osprey

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don’t know what kind of return he’d fetch, no other teams are going to value him like a top line winger. So unless they’re dealing him for futures it’s hard to see what kind of deal could be had
Futures would be fine. His production has slid so the Preds won't be able to get desired value in roster players. I think Porter is selling him short at only a 2nd, but picks/prospects is fine for the Preds, who are doing a bit of a re-tool anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad