VIII. General Stars Talk Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
I'm having a hard time understanding how Dallas didn't retain salary/cap in the Horcoff trade.
Did that actually happen?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not many people appreciate what player slike him bring to the game anymore. I'll miss him for sure, and I'm sure there are a couple of others on this board in the same boat. Maybe not, who knows.

A big guy who can skate decently but has hands of stone. Sticks up for teammates but at the NHL level is a 7-9 minute player on an average team; likely a 13/14th forward on an upper echelon team. Tell me if I'm missing anything here. I don't really see what we lost other than a farm team fan favorite and forward depth.

If Wathier couldn't contribute in that role I'm not sure how Gazdic was going to.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A big guy who can skate decently but has hands of stone. Sticks up for teammates but at the NHL level is a 7-9 minute player on an average team; likely a 13/14th forward on an upper echelon team. Tell me if I'm missing anything here. I don't really see what we lost other than a farm team fan favorite and forward depth.
That's all it is. In a lot of ways, it's great to see a number of Texas Stars fans want to talk about the NHL team. It sure seems like there is 100 times that kind of activity than in years past when the farm team was in Iowa or Kalamazoo.

But there is way too much love that gets heaped on some guys who have no shot to be anything but a 4th liner or #6/7 d-man. I can't believe the amount of outrage that gets expressed about how those guys are treated or tossed away.

Primetimey*

@DarrenDreger

Dallas Stars place C.Mueller and Phoenix Coyotes place J.Halpern on Waivers.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Ran into this picture today. Man these were sweet jerseys

72134136_crop_north.jpg

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX

If Wathier couldn't contribute in that role I'm not sure how Gazdic was going to.

That's pretty much all this is. I know on paper it doesn't look great and fighting is on it's way out, but Luke would decimate anybody wanting to **** with our guys. He showed he's got the heart to be a good pro with his MASSIVE skating improvements. He would've sold a lot of jerseys here.

Is it a huge, dramatic loss? No. He's a great guy that would've had a positive impact though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's pretty much all this is. I know on paper it doesn't look great and fighting is on it's way out, but Luke would decimate anybody wanting to **** with our guys. He showed he's got the heart to be a good pro with his MASSIVE skating improvements. He would've sold a lot of jerseys here.

Is it a huge, dramatic loss? No. He's a great guy that would've had a positive impact though.

15 years ago he would have sold a lot of jerseys, with the game the way it is now he wouldn't make a big enough impact to make anybody want one. Bigger fish to fry rather than worrying about a farm team enforcer IMO.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
That's all it is. In a lot of ways, it's great to see a number of Texas Stars fans want to talk about the NHL team. It sure seems like there is 100 times that kind of activity than in years past when the farm team was in Iowa or Kalamazoo.

But there is way too much love that gets heaped on some guys who have no shot to be anything but a 4th liner or #6/7 d-man. I can't believe the amount of outrage that gets expressed about how those guys are treated or tossed away.

I miss Wandell :(

aloonda*

what do you think eakin will want contract wise after this season? and will the stars match it?

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
For as much crap as were giving the new guys/their presence on this team- no one brought in's contract runs past next season.
I'm going to pretend like that was done on purpose so Nill could get his experimentation out of the way early & safely.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
Really hoping for a buyout to come Horcoff's way. He doesn't do anything. I tend to think of myself as someone who sees the game objectively, but I have literally seen 0 positive from Horcoff.

aloonda*

yeaah, see yah

tons of rookies/rousell types can bring what he does and much more

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, man, i'm not even saying most of those in question will finish their contracts with the Stars, but worst case scenario as a fan; could be worse.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
To be fair, we haven't really seen anything from the 3rd and 4th lines. I don't feel like Horcoff has been a problem and he certainly isn't at the top of my Stars things to fix list.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think he will get into the 3 range unless he shows legit 2nd line numbers, and the Stars will certainly keep him under contract.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Yep. I still don't see him as a long term 2C. Good overall player but not very dynamic offensively.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Benn has taken 10 faceoffs this year and he's won 8 of them.

Small sample size? Maybe, but if this keeps up maybe he can take an Ott role in the future with regards to faceoffs.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Horcoff's pretty much lost his scoring touch, but I've seen some decent play besides that. Not great, but decent. Don't think he's really a problem anyways. He's certainly not sinking our ship. He aint gonna right it either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad