VIII. General Stars Talk Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Horcoff's pretty much lost his scoring touch, but I've seen some decent play besides that. Not great, but decent. Don't think he's really a problem anyways. He's certainly not sinking our ship. He aint gonna right it either though.

I would pretty much agree with your assessment of his play. All I keep thinking is that if you took the names and faces away from the players that Scevour would have made the team over Horcoff. There's no way that Sceviour can't at least match what Horcoff has brought. Horcoff is definitely one of those generic "veteran leadership" situations.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I would pretty much agree with your assessment of his play. All I keep thinking is that if you took the names and faces away from the players that Scevour would have made the team over Horcoff. There's no way that Sceviour can't at least match what Horcoff has brought. Horcoff is definitely one of those generic "veteran leadership" situations.

I think "generic" sums him up perfectly.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
New threads.
BWwN_IlIUAAR6ue.jpg

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I wonder... Could the Stars get Eddie to drop the puck at the first Avs game at the AAC this season? How awesome would an "Eddie's better" chant be? :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Horcoff's pretty much lost his scoring touch, but I've seen some decent play besides that. Not great, but decent. Don't think he's really a problem anyways. He's certainly not sinking our ship. He aint gonna right it either though.

Horcoff really never had any scoring touch other than about 1 year in the NHL, long long ago. His stats have been massively inflated for years because though people have always thought of him as a 3rd liner he's played with top two line line mates almost his whole career and been gifted 1st line pp time almost his whole career. The reasonable 3rd oline point and goal totals he has put up the last few years? A fable, since he's played top two line minutes and gobs of pp time. His stat line of 0-0 and -3 is about what I would fully expect him to have after 5 games if he is truly playing as a 3rd or 4th line center.....and that to go along with is under 50% on the dot.

(I'm an Oiler fan btw)

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Horcoff really never had any scoring touch other than about 1 year in the NHL, long long ago. His stats have been massively inflated for years because though people have always thought of him as a 3rd liner he's played with top two line line mates almost his whole career and been gifted 1st line pp time almost his whole career. The reasonable 3rd oline point and goal totals he has put up the last few years? A fable, since he's played top two line minutes and gobs of pp time. His stat line of 0-0 and -3 is about what I would fully expect him to have after 5 games if he is truly playing as a 3rd or 4th line center.....and that to go along with is under 50% on the dot.

(I'm an Oiler fan btw)

While he was given top line minutes in Edmonton during his "scoring days" (more than he would have gotten about anywhere else), he still HAD an obvious scoring touch. He could find the back of the net when given the opportunity and had decent offensive zone instincts. They weren't all just artificial points he was putting up. Ales Hemsky is not a guy that turns 20 point players in to 70 point players.

When his numbers began drying up he was still given all those minutes, still paired with Hemsky quite a bit, and still spent time on the top two lines and on the PP. The offense just completely disappeared. I'm not sure if his ongoing injury problems hampered him that much, or if it's a combination of that plus just simply falling off - let's face it he's in his mid 30s now not mid to late 20s. But he did have a decent scoring touch with pretty decent speed as well. Now he just can't hit the back of the net at all regardless of who he's with or if he's on the PP.

I'm not surprised by his stat line either. After seeing him as much as I have over his career and especially his decline over the last 2-3 years, I wasn't expecting much there.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
While he was given top line minutes in Edmonton during his "scoring days" (more than he would have gotten about anywhere else), he still HAD an obvious scoring touch. He could find the back of the net when given the opportunity and had decent offensive zone instincts. They weren't all just artificial points he was putting up. Ales Hemsky is not a guy that turns 20 point players in to 70 point players.

When his numbers began drying up he was still given all those minutes, still paired with Hemsky quite a bit, and still spent time on the top two lines and on the PP. The offense just completely disappeared. I'm not sure if his ongoing injury problems hampered him that much, or if it's a combination of that plus just simply falling off - let's face it he's in his mid 30s now not mid to late 20s. But he did have a decent scoring touch with pretty decent speed as well. Now he just can't hit the back of the net at all regardless of who he's with or if he's on the PP.

I'm not surprised by his stat line either. After seeing him as much as I have over his career and especially his decline over the last 2-3 years, I wasn't expecting much there.

Actually that's exactly the kind of player Hemsky was as far as Horcoff was concerned. Horcoff should have been paying hemksy half his salary over the years. He hasn't been called whiffcoff by some on the oiler forums for nothing. In any case he isn't a key guy for you guys and at least he seems to be played where he belongs.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Actually that's exactly the kind of player Hemsky was as far as Horcoff was concerned. Horcoff should have been paying hemksy half his salary over the years. He hasn't been called whiffcoff by some on the oiler forums for nothing. In any case he isn't a key guy for you guys and at least he seems to be played where he belongs.

It seems like Horcoff's wheels have really dropped off and that is where his play has declined the most visibly. He is getting a lot of guff on our board, but he has been an excellent penalty killer and defensive forward in my mind. I am actually all right with him for this year and maybe next. Salary is a bit high for his role, but that would be my only complaint. Well, that and his faceoffs have been a pretty big disappointment.

Brand New Stars

I still think Fabian Brunnstrom was mishandled.....but then again, two other NHL teams seem to see things the way Dallas does.

I do too. I saw his hat trick live and was pumped. Maybe Dallas ruined him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

To be fair, the Stars haven't gotten any secondary scoring from anyone, and I don't think Horcoff has had a bunch of chances that he hasn't done anything with nor has he had any consistent linemates to develop chemistry with.

It seems like Horcoff's wheels have really dropped off and that is where his play has declined the most visibly. He is getting a lot of guff on our board, but he has been an excellent penalty killer and defensive forward in my mind. I am actually all right with him for this year and maybe next. Salary is a bit high for his role, but that would be my only complaint. Well, that and his faceoffs have been a pretty big disappointment.

I agree he is fine for his role, but I haven't seen a ton of Horcoff bashing around here. I'd like to see Eakin centering Cole and Horcoff with the hope that as a LW his lack of speed wouldn't be so much of a factor.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

No doubt playing with Hemsky as opposed to say Zach Stortini is going to help your numbers over an entire year, but Hemsky still wasn't taking a 20 point player and turning him in to a 70 point one. He's just not elite like that.

Horcoff was a better producer himself back then regardless of who he played with. You watch him back then and he keeps up with the play, hits the back of the net, and puts the puck in good places in the offensive zone. He just doesn't do that anymore and you can see where his speed has dropped off tremendously as well, and that's regardless of who he's playing with. It's all him.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Ok, so for the following players, how do you handle then in the offseason:

Ray Whitney
Erik Cole
Shawn Horcoff
Sergei Gonchar
Stephane Robidas
Alex Goligoski

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Ok, so for the following players, how do you handle then in the offseason:

Ray Whitney
Erik Cole
Shawn Horcoff
Sergei Gonchar
Stephane Robidas
Alex Goligoski
I think Whitney retires, Robidas signs somewhere else, and the 4 guys with contracts continue to be dallas stars. The level of play we are getting from those 4 that amount to a nearly 20 million dollar cap hit is absurd but I dont see how they dump them and I dont think they are going to be desperate enough for cap space to buy them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->