OT: Video Games V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So I beat Act I of The Ghost of Tsushima... and I've completely lost interest in the game. It's a beautiful game and the combat is really fun but I haven't had the urge in a week or two to pick it up. The only games with sticking power for me right now are Rogue Company and NHL (but only World of Chel) and Fall Guys (since my kids love it). I think it's that they're live, competitive, and the individual games/matches are of short duration that's able to have some sticking power when it comes to my attention. Besides Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and The Last of Us II I have not been able to start a RPG and make any significant progress with it. I've tried Ghost, Spider-Man, and Days Gone in the last few weeks and I can't get into them. Maybe the slog of AC: O broke my brain when it comes to RPGs.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Only game for me still is Eve Online and I'm not doing any PvP stuff. Kinda embarassed how much money I've poured into the game since March, heh. Anyone ever want to dip their feet with a free alpha account let me know my bro and I have a two man corp and could help with the intro to the game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So I beat Act I of The Ghost of Tsushima... and I've completely lost interest in the game. It's a beautiful game and the combat is really fun but I haven't had the urge in a week or two to pick it up. The only games with sticking power for me right now are Rogue Company and NHL (but only World of Chel) and Fall Guys (since my kids love it). I think it's that they're live, competitive, and the individual games/matches are of short duration that's able to have some sticking power when it comes to my attention. Besides Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and The Last of Us II I have not been able to start a RPG and make any significant progress with it. I've tried Ghost, Spider-Man, and Days Gone in the last few weeks and I can't get into them. Maybe the slog of AC: O broke my brain when it comes to RPGs.

Just burned out on the format? I've become pretty good at the ghost tactics which is understandable since I'd just finished AC Origins. Have been doing all the side quests and holding off finishing Act I. I hope it doesn't get stupid afterward.

Aside from the imagery and thematic consistency, the combat is by far the shining point of Ghost, imo. It reminds me a lot of Witcher 3. The game itself seems to also combine a bit of the Batman Arkham titles, some AC, some Skyrim (mostly design or aesthetics), a little Uncharted, and maybe others I'm forgetting atm. If it becomes too easy to sneak around and assassinate or shoot-and-hide with the bow then it's fun to try and take on battles with long odds and test your combat skill.

I'm still in the best part of the game...uncovering the map while building the character and moving up the skill trees. I'm a little disappointed that they're not as developed as I'd like and they take some figuring out at first but it's likely I've been spoiled by deeper titles with complex trees (like a few FF titles I can't recall offhand, maybe X or thereabouts). But I understand the idea of not really abandoning weapons for newer ones given the story and customs involved.

A little surprised that the game seems to take some shortcuts on "collision detection" for lack of a better term wrt the player and the environment. Meaning you can be standing on a rock and your foot will disappear into it. Or your horse rides right through trees. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated term for this but compared to AC, where nearly every point of potential contact is remarkably considered, it seems Ghost is far behind.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

I'm getting kind of worn out with open world rpg games as well trying to push through Cyberpunk and all its troubles on my base PS4. Gonna take a break from them after I beat Cyberpunk, and then probably give open world games a rest until Mass Effect Trilogy remaster comes out. Which should be in a few months.

Just rewatching the old ME trailers is getting me hyped. And those are like 8-10 years old now :laugh:

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Man I forgot how good those games were, even though the graphics look a bit dated now.

Reactions: tenken00

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just burned out on the format? I've become pretty good at the ghost tactics which is understandable since I'd just finished AC Origins. Have been doing all the side quests and holding off finishing Act I. I hope it doesn't get stupid afterward.

Aside from the imagery and thematic consistency, the combat is by far the shining point of Ghost, imo. It reminds me a lot of Witcher 3. The game itself seems to also combine a bit of the Batman Arkham titles, some AC, some Skyrim (mostly design or aesthetics), a little Uncharted, and maybe others I'm forgetting atm. If it becomes too easy to sneak around and assassinate or shoot-and-hide with the bow then it's fun to try and take on battles with long odds and test your combat skill.

I'm still in the best part of the game...uncovering the map while building the character and moving up the skill trees. I'm a little disappointed that they're not as developed as I'd like and they take some figuring out at first but it's likely I've been spoiled by deeper titles with complex trees (like a few FF titles I can't recall offhand, maybe X or thereabouts). But I understand the idea of not really abandoning weapons for newer ones given the story and customs involved.

A little surprised that the game seems to take some shortcuts on "collision detection" for lack of a better term wrt the player and the environment. Meaning you can be standing on a rock and your foot will disappear into it. Or your horse rides right through trees. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated term for this but compared to AC, where nearly every point of potential contact is remarkably considered, it seems Ghost is far behind.
Yeah, I think the format is just tired for me. Or maybe with everything else going on right now in life my attention span isn’t what it would normally be or what it needs to be in order to get into these games.

Or maybe it’s because the games are all the same. Even though TLOUII felt emotionally draining at times because of how dark it could be I never felt tired of playing the game. None of it felt repetitive and I always wondered what came next. These games are just so repetitive and the engagements with the enemies are almost all the same and I just lose interest.

If we go even deeper, maybe RDR2 started my distaste towards the massive open world RPG given how awful that game was and how much of a grind it was to make any progress.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, I think the format is just tired for me. Or maybe with everything else going on right now in life my attention span isn’t what it would normally be or what it needs to be in order to get into these games.

Or maybe it’s because the games are all the same. Even though TLOUII felt emotionally draining at times because of how dark it could be I never felt tired of playing the game. None of it felt repetitive and I always wondered what came next. These games are just so repetitive and the engagements with the enemies are almost all the same and I just lose interest.

If we go even deeper, maybe RDR2 started my distaste towards the massive open world RPG given how awful that game was and how much of a grind it was to make any progress.

Ah, I totally understand. I think I've just accepted it and take it in doses, when I'm in the mood. There's definitely a formula and variations on a theme.

Drop down to a sports game for a while to reset.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Bought Uncharted 4 and Uncharted the lost legacy today. It's X-mas time. I have some free time for the moment.

Uncharted 2 was the game that made me fall in love with Naughty dog. Then I bought the first one and so on.

Now I'm set for a looooong period.

The last of us 2
The last of us remastered (includes the last of us 1 and the last of us left behind)
Fifa 21
Red dead redemption 2
Uncharted 4
Uncharted : the lost legacy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bought Uncharted 4 and Uncharted the lost legacy today. It's X-mas time. I have some free time for the moment.

Uncharted 2 was the game that made me fall in love with Naughty dog. Then I bought the first one and so on.

The last of us 2
The last of us remastered (includes the last of us 1 and the last of us left behind)
Fifa 21
Red dead redemption 2
Uncharted 4
Will be interested to get your take on RDR2 when you’re done with it.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Will be interested to get your take on RDR2 when you’re done with it.

Well, I think it may take some time. LOL
I started the game, made some missions, love the landscapes, I see the potential of the "story",
but for the moment I don't enjoy the game (that's due in big part because I've played too much, toooo much at The last of us through out all those years)

I'm just pushing the buttons that the game ask me to push and that's all. Like a robot.
But I know that the game (rdr2) has potential, you can do a lot of things* (it's a rockstar games universe). So I just need to get into that "mood" first (rockstar mood lol)

*To be able do to a lot of things it's a +, but when you start the game it's a - because I'm like "do I do this or that?"

I also want to see how (and if) they will integrate/give an important role to John Marston in this game because I loved rdr1, or will they just put some reminders and that's all.

I have a friend who loved the game, (finished on PC), he even said "Arthur Morgan is my favorite character ever in a video game" :naughty::laugh:

So for the moment I'll stop RDR2.

I want to (start and) finish both Uncharted that I bought yesterday. So I'll finish all the Naughty Dog's games and then I can focus on RDR2.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
just finished my first Korn Ferry Tour event....loving it, but I’m a sucker for golf games.

I typically get the latest when I upgrade my console so may wait. Rory PGA from a few years ago is the most recent I've played. It's decent. Good for when you can't play IRL. Fairly easy to win events if you can putt worth a shit.

One weird thing I've noticed...a few times during the summer when I've played a lot of Tiger/Rory I've actually scored better on the course during real rounds. I think it's just a mental thing. You get used to shooting low and don't overcomplicate.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I typically get the latest when I upgrade my console so may wait. Rory PGA from a few years ago is the most recent I've played. It's decent. Good for when you can't play IRL. Fairly easy to win events if you can putt worth a shit.

One weird thing I've noticed...a few times during the summer when I've played a lot of Tiger/Rory I've actually scored better on the course during real rounds. I think it's just a mental thing. You get used to shooting low and don't overcomplicate.

I haven’t played a golf console game since the last Tiger Woods I think lol...

This is fantastic so far. Putting for sure the hardest thing.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

The last of us 2
Fifa 21
Red dead redemption 2
Uncharted 4

You'll LOVE those Uncharted Games.

TLOU remastered, however, truly sucks -- looks like a chunky PS3 game. I'd skip that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad