OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I can help with this. It's insanely easy to build your own rig, saves a ton of money, and comes with much better quality parts and warranties.

Oh, Ill continue to use my laptop - its new enough and performs very well, especially given im playing in 4k, but i wouldnt be against some good monitor/setup recommendations. I'll need something that can dual purpose for work and gaming, as ill use it for home office work as well.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh, Ill continue to use my laptop - its new enough and performs very well, especially given im playing in 4k, but i wouldnt be against some good monitor/setup recommendations. I'll need something that can dual purpose for work and gaming, as ill use it for home office work as well.

You're running a 4k tv off of a laptop? It might melt through the floor. :laugh:

Yeah, monitors are super easy though. Biggest decisions are resolution (4k vs 1440p vs 1080p), refresh rate, and panel type (TN vs IPS vs VA). IPS panels have more vivid colors, but don't produce blacks as well, so they don't look very good in low light. TN panels are what you're used to seeing.

At 4k, you're probably getting 30 fps or something in most games, so refresh rate doesn't come into play. My home setup is 1440p with a 144 hz monitor, which means I'm capped at 144 effective fps. I prefer higher framerates to pushing resolution that high because motion is so much smoother, but it's just personal preference.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You're running a 4k tv off of a laptop? It might melt through the floor. :laugh:

Yeah, monitors are super easy though. Biggest decisions are resolution (4k vs 1440p vs 1080p), refresh rate, and panel type (TN vs IPS vs VA). IPS panels have more vivid colors, but don't produce blacks as well, so they don't look very good in low light. TN panels are what you're used to seeing.

At 4k, you're probably getting 30 fps or something in most games, so refresh rate doesn't come into play. My home setup is 1440p with a 144 hz monitor, which means I'm capped at 144 effective fps. I prefer higher framerates to pushing resolution that high because motion is so much smoother, but it's just personal preference.

Haha, the burning part is fairly accurate. Its certainly not a requirement for me - i mostly just do it 'because i can' and because i dont play anything competitively enough where FPS is really an issue. Occasionally when i leap into a packed room in POE i get some screen shudder - but at least it looks magnificent! :laugh:

Gotcha - Ill probably switch over to something 1440, where i can balance frame rates and resolution a little better. We can take to DMs if you want but if im going to do two monitors, is there any benefit to maybe doing one in TN and one in IPS? Dual monitors is a must - i do way too much excel/SQL work to rely on one monitor, and it kills me when i work from home (i try to schedule that type of work specifically for when im in the office).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Haha, the burning part is fairly accurate. Its certainly not a requirement for me - i mostly just do it 'because i can' and because i dont play anything competitively enough where FPS is really an issue. Occasionally when i leap into a packed room in POE i get some screen shudder - but at least it looks magnificent! :laugh:

Gotcha - Ill probably switch over to something 1440, where i can balance frame rates and resolution a little better. We can take to DMs if you want but if im going to do two monitors, is there any benefit to maybe doing one in TN and one in IPS? Dual monitors is a must - i do way too much excel/SQL work to rely on one monitor, and it kills me when i work from home (i try to schedule that type of work specifically for when im in the office).

I understand completely. Multiple monitors is the way to go.

My home setup has 3, an expensive main monitor that's a 144 hz IPS GSYNC gaming panel, and two much cheaper 1080p TN panels because I use them for the same things plus reading code. They're also on mounts that allow them to swivel to Portrait mode because spreadsheets and code are so much easier to read that way. No installation required to swap between Landscape and Portrait or anything. Super easy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I understand completely. Multiple monitors is the way to go.

My home setup has 3, an expensive main monitor that's a 144 hz IPS GSYNC gaming panel, and two much cheaper 1080p TN panels because I use them for the same things plus reading code. They're also on mounts that allow them to swivel to Portrait mode because spreadsheets and code are so much easier to read that way. No installation required to swap between Landscape and Portrait or anything. Super easy.

Hmm, that type of setup will likely be a good option for when we move into a bigger place and I have a dedicated office. The idea of swiveling monitors at home instead of just the office is tugging at my nerd heart strings. Any decent recommendations (other than the out of stock one) for decent size, decent pricepoint monitors that i wouldnt feel awful about potentially replacing in 12-18 months in a better sized home office?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hmm, that type of setup will likely be a good option for when we move into a bigger place and I have a dedicated office. The idea of swiveling monitors at home instead of just the office is tugging at my nerd heart strings. Any decent recommendations (other than the out of stock one) for decent size, decent pricepoint monitors that i wouldnt feel awful about potentially replacing in 12-18 months in a better sized home office?

Assumption: You're plugging these into a laptop and have a free HDMI port or two. If you need DisplayPort connections, prices are slightly higher. Personally, I wouldn't get a TN panel for this purpose anymore. The ones I have exist because IPS panels were much more expensive when I bought them 6 years ago.

I would not game on these and expect much. If the response time on a monitor is higher than 1 ms, it won't be great for gaming. Then again, tvs don't have that either for the most part and it doesn't bother many people. Same with adaptive sync technology of some form.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor-P2419H/dp/B07F8XZN69 is one you'll see suggested often in budget categories. I haven't seen it in person.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a/dp/B072M34RQC/ This is my second monitor for my laptop. I wanted a dirt cheap IPS panel and good functionality with a simple orientation change. You do have to unscrew a lock to change orientation, but I didn't mind it at this pricepoint. The built-in speakers are supposedly awful, but I've never used them.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Assumption: You're plugging these into a laptop and have a free HDMI port or two. If you need DisplayPort connections, prices are slightly higher. Personally, I wouldn't get a TN panel for this purpose anymore. The ones I have exist because IPS panels were much more expensive when I bought them 6 years ago.

I would not game on these and expect much. If the response time on a monitor is higher than 1 ms, it won't be great for gaming. Then again, tvs don't have that either for the most part and it doesn't bother many people. Same with adaptive sync technology of some form.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor-P2419H/dp/B07F8XZN69 is one you'll see suggested often in budget categories. I haven't seen it in person.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a/dp/B072M34RQC/ This is my second monitor for my laptop. I wanted a dirt cheap IPS panel and good functionality with a simple orientation change. You do have to unscrew a lock to change orientation, but I didn't mind it at this pricepoint. The built-in speakers are supposedly awful, but I've never used them.

Gotcha. Yeah, i have a single HDMI input from either laptop (work or play), is there some sort of splitter I would need if i were to run both monitors of the same laptop? I have a docking station at work that takes care of that for me, but i wont have that for this scenario.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Nah, I usually don’t play with my mic plugged in unless I’m in a party chat. You’re safe.

Also, M4 or MP5... everything else is a disadvantage.

How to recognize you're a teenager: telling other guys while playing multiplayer that you f***ed their moms

How to recognize you're a grown up person: telling other guys while playing multiplayer that their moms are fascist

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

The walk/run speed drives me nuts. No LMGs for Striiker... I need MOREEEE SPEEEEED

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How to recognize you're a teenager: telling other guys while playing multiplayer that you ****ed their moms

How to recognize you're a grown up person: telling other guys while playing multiplayer that their moms are fascist

How to recognize you're HC: telling other guys while playing multiplayer that you f'd their moms so hard they became a fascist and then tell them to read a book.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
giphy.gif

The walk/run speed drives me nuts. No LMGs for Striiker... I need MOREEEE SPEEEEED

I got it gold a couple of days ago. There are some attachments you can add (mainly the one that removes the stock or cuts it in half or something) and then it's basically an AR...you'd probably rage quit using it before you go that far though because you can't run and gun with it at all and basically have to pre-fire (or at least pre-aim) going around corners.

Unless you're a dirty camper like me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I got it gold a couple of days ago. There are some attachments you can add (mainly the one that removes the stock or cuts it in half or something) and then it's basically an AR...you'd probably rage quit using it before you go that far though because you can't run and gun with it at all and basically have to pre-fire (or at least pre-aim) going around corners.

Unless you're a dirty camper like me.
Damn... yeah I'm probably not doing that for a long time, if ever. :laugh:

I even use "no stock" on the M4 so it's quicker. I'm a speed addict.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If anyone needs a new/additional monitor and isn't going to 1440p, there's no way this is going to stay in stock at 109. It's a solid 144hz IPS Adaptive Sync panel for half the usual price, which never happens. Only downside is 1920 x 1080, but at that price, who cares? Don't make it your main screen if you're at 1440p.

https://www.costco.com/lg-ultragear...patible-gaming-monitor.product.100512138.html

*Edit* Already OOS. Hopefully they don't cancel mine.

You are knowledgable about this, so maybe you could help or posit a guess, Jojo (or anyone else):

I bought this monitor last week (it was on sale for like $100 less) -- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-xf270h-27-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6096600.p?skuId=6096600 -- to get as little input lag as possible for competitive online console games (not a PC gamer). I'm currently on a 26" television, and while the frame rate and everything looked good on the monitor, to my total surprise and disappointment, this monitor had MORE controller input lag than my television. Like noticeably, and we're talking a 10 year old TV, not even 1080p, that I dug out of the closet to use over my big and much too delayed 4K television. I'm at a total loss.

Obviously, I want a monitor to upgrade the image quality, but my most important want is as little input delay as possible, certainly as good or better than a 10 year old TV. Acer support was zero help. I'm going to return it, but I'm wondering if there's a certain avenue I should take with brand, model, components, etc. Given I'm on an Xbox, with more limited capacities, excessively high frame rates and resolution > 1080p aren't needed. :help:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You are knowledgable about this, so maybe you could help or posit a guess, Jojo (or anyone else):

I bought this monitor last week (it was on sale for like $100 less) -- https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-xf270h-27-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6096600.p?skuId=6096600 -- to get as little input lag as possible for competitive online console games (not a PC gamer). I'm currently on a 26" television, and while the frame rate and everything looked good on the monitor, to my total surprise and disappointment, this monitor had MORE controller input lag than my television. Like noticeably, and we're talking a 10 year old TV, not even 1080p, that I dug out of the closet to use over my big and much too delayed 4K television. I'm at a total loss.

Obviously, I want a monitor to upgrade the image quality, but my most important want is as little input delay as possible, certainly as good or better than a 10 year old TV. Acer support was zero help. I'm going to return it, but I'm wondering if there's a certain avenue I should take with brand, model, components, etc. Given I'm on an Xbox, with more limited capacities, excessively high frame rates and resolution > 1080p aren't needed. :help:

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but I do remember reading about some similar issues with FreeSync on consoles. Have you tried it without FreeSync running? A quick Google seemingly says that this is in the XBox Display Settings listed as "Allow Variable Refresh Rate."

That monitor has a ~1ms refresh rate, so there's absolutely no reason for input lag to do anything but massively improve. That's the #1 thing you would require. Beyond that, it's just a question of whether your hardware can push out more than 60 fps (which I don't know in this case) and the panel type. I hate to say this, but the best place for specific reqs for something like this is probably /r/monitors. I'd be happy to answer any questions that might come up about the monitors themselves. There I'm extremely comfortable pointing you in the right direction.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Magua

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Nah, I usually don’t play with my mic plugged in unless I’m in a party chat. You’re safe.

Also, M4 or MP5... everything else is a disadvantage.
I always have everybody muted, but every so often I un-mute after a match to hear a good F bomb fest, I have hardly heard anything offensive so far. 10 years after MW2 kids have gotten soft. I definitely sympathize if your problems with the movement speed, I wish it was at least 25% faster.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I always have everybody muted, but every so often I un-mute after a match to hear a good F bomb fest, I have hardly heard anything offensive so far. 10 years after MW2 kids have gotten soft. I definitely sympathize if your problems with the movement speed, I wish it was at least 25% faster.
Yeah, I think most people are in party chat, don’t have a mic, or have everyone muted, like you do. I remember playing CoD4 when it first came out and often half the lobby was talking trash. It was the best. It seems like since the current generation of consoles came out that people rarely talk anymore. Especially since you can be in party chat at all times, when old CoD games forced you to be in game chat if you were playing stuff like SnD.

I also think CoD lobbies completely desensitized me to all swear words and any kind of insult. :laugh:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, I think most people are in party chat, don’t have a mic, or have everyone muted, like you do. I remember playing CoD4 when it first came out and often half the lobby was talking trash. It was the best. It seems like since the current generation of consoles came out that people rarely talk anymore. Especially since you can be in party chat at all times, when old CoD games forced you to be in game chat if you were playing stuff like SnD.

I also think CoD lobbies completely desensitized me to all swear words and any kind of insult. :laugh:
Party chat killed lobby trash talk. It’s a lost art.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad