OT: Video Game Thread: Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It was much more like 6 and the earlier ones and easily could've been an animated series. They did that on purpose to celebrate the past. 12 was much more fantasy, set in the kingdom of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, but everyone but me seemed to hate it. They must've wanted more emo teens and sci-fi. Plus they had to make overcomplicated real time battles after 12 because the ADHD kids can't handle even remotely turn-based combat anymore.

Hey, I finally found a high quality version of the Japanese FF IX Coke commercial!

Man, FFT was so much fun, too. That was a hell of a story line. They just dont make games like they used to.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Man, FFT was so much fun, too. That was a hell of a story line. They just dont make games like they used to.
I struggled hard with FFT and had to replay on GameFAQs to finally beat it. It was my first tactical RPG and there were so many skills I was overwhelmed. I'll never forget the one damn mission where it was just your main character and a giant monster alone on a stairway and the FAQ said to basically run in circles around the edge of the map a hundred times and keep buffing your attack until you were actually strong enough to kill him in a few shots. I hope that isn't what the game designers expected us to figure out on our own because I'd call that poor/cheap level design. The story is what kept me going through that game and eventually I started getting a handle on it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I struggled hard with FFT and had to replay on GameFAQs to finally beat it. It was my first tactical RPG and there were so many skills I was overwhelmed. I'll never forget the one damn mission where it was just your main character and a giant monster alone on a stairway and the FAQ said to basically run in circles around the edge of the map a hundred times and keep buffing your attack until you were actually strong enough to kill him in a few shots. I hope that isn't what the game designers expected us to figure out on our own because I'd call that poor/cheap level design. The story is what kept me going through that game and eventually I started getting a handle on it.

Yeah, it was definitely one of the more challenging games to play. I felt like most of the FF series you could just kinda plow through. I had to stop and level/get JP several time before continuing storyline on this one. I liked the idea that people werent set in roles though.

to your point - The story line, to me, was one of the better for any game i've played though.

Reactions: Amorgus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
F4AEA13D-8A8B-49F8-8032-2CA921D26777.jpeg

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Borderlands 3 is pretty good. I’m digging the beast master and his monkey with a pistol.
I went with the Spiderling and the cloaking/critical hits but also started a Siren with Astral Projection. I intended to keep one character specifically for multiplayer with my nephew but he keeps randomly playing by himself and screwing up the plan!

One thing I don't like is the text/menu on most things being so small and uncoloful compared to the previous games. I know I'm old but I could read everything fine in the other games. I do like the alternate fire on a lot of these guns, particularly being able to switch between two different elements so you don't have to clutter your inventory with one gun of each type. The streamlining of many past issues like that, refilling all ammo at once, more fast travel places, all fantastic additions.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I went with the Spiderling and the cloaking/critical hits but also started a Siren with Astral Projection. I intended to keep one character specifically for multiplayer with my nephew but he keeps randomly playing by himself and screwing up the plan!

One thing I don't like is the text/menu on most things being so small and uncoloful compared to the previous games. I know I'm old but I could read everything fine in the other games. I do like the alternate fire on a lot of these guns, particularly being able to switch between two different elements so you don't have to clutter your inventory with one gun of each type. The streamlining of many past issues like that, refilling all ammo at once, more fast travel places, all fantastic additions.
The text is tiny, it’s not just you. Hell, I have a hard time seeing some of the enemies on screen if I’m trying to relax to play, I have to see up to see it right. My vision is better than 20/20.
I started with that cloak, but I feel like that’s better suited for sniping which is too slow paced for me so I switched to the teleporting giant radioactive monkey.

Reactions: Amorgus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Hard to hit people when you always have the puck CORSI!!!)
Should have had Hagg playing. You would have had doubles your hits... And gave up 2-3 more goals. But at least you would have played a physical game... Those are more entertaining

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I’m starting a Madden Online Franchise on Xbox one if anyone is interested. It’ll be sim style 24-48 hr advance. First come first serve in terms of teams. If you’re interested HMU on Xbox Live GT: Greb

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well it had potential but they completely ruined CoD Modern Warfare. Absolutely horrible.

The one thing that CoD had perfect was the fluid movement so of course they changed that and made it the clunkiest unwieldy shit ever.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Well it had potential but they completely ruined CoD Modern Warfare. Absolutely horrible.

The one thing that CoD had perfect was the fluid movement so of course they changed that and made it the clunkiest unwieldy **** ever.
Ranked up to 20 last weekend and have played a bit today. Really don't know if I'm going to buy it. I wouldn't call it horrible but it needs to be a lot better to keep me around, that's for sure. On one hand I need something new to play, on the other I don't want to give those scumbags from activision $60.

Games like madden and cod were a lot better in the 00's, that's a fact.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ranked up to 20 last weekend and have played a bit today. Really don't know if I'm going to buy it. I wouldn't call it horrible but it needs to be a lot better to keep me around, that's for sure. On one hand I need something new to play, on the other I don't want to give those scumbags from activision $60.

Oh easily better. That's why I was so hopeful for this game, since it was most of the team that made Cod4 and MW2, which were my two favorites. But I just can't get past the movement issue. It feels like an even worse version of battlefield... which I also can't stand. Or like in the old CoD games when you had an LMG without quickdraw and everything was ultra slow and delayed. It honestly gives me a headache.

This will be the first CoD game I don't buy since CoD3. I really thought there was no way I could hate this more than Bo4 but they found a way.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Madden 07 with QB vision for ps2 is by far the best madden game ever produced

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Oh easily better. That's why I was so hopeful for this game, since it was most of the team that made Cod4 and MW2, which were my two favorites. But I just can't get past the movement issue. It feels like an even worse version of battlefield... which I also can't stand. Or like in the old CoD games when you had an LMG without quickdraw and everything was ultra slow and delayed. It honestly gives me a headache.

This will be the first CoD game I don't buy since CoD3. I really thought there was no way I could hate this more than Bo4 but they found a way.
My biggest gripes are the visuals and pace/objective play. I find myself really having to strain to see targets, when the lighting is dim it's almost impossible. And most of the people play like there's 5 million dollars on the line and play too timid. I'm waiting to see how the 32v32 mode is, but right now I'm leaning toward not buying it.

Madden 07 with QB vision for ps2 is by far the best madden game ever produced
100% :nod:

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Uninstalled the MW beta. It's a depressing mess in it's current state.

@Striiker
Yeah, that's probably the right choice. I played like 30 min total and I'm already done too. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting any changes to the things that ruin it for me because the devs kept going on about realism and making it feel like the player had weight... so I guess I'm skipping this one.

Really depressing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad