Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

It's mind blowing that people seem to forget this. I just want to scream it at the top of my lungs every time I'm on this thread. PK was in the AHL at 20. Mete's in his 2nd pro season. He's nowhere near his prime and look how good he is. Those insane rushes are only going to get more frequent and more fruitful as he goes on. Just needs to get stronger. Maybe the shot never improves even if it doesn't he could still be super useful. I'm still super high on him. I really think he's underrated bizarrely.

Reactions: FF de Mars

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
It's mind blowing that people seem to forget this. I just want to scream it at the top of my lungs every time I'm on this thread. PK was in the AHL at 20. Mete's in his 2nd pro season. He's nowhere near his prime and look how good he is. Those insane rushes are only going to get more frequent and more fruitful as he goes on. Just needs to get stronger. Maybe the shot never improves even if it doesn't he could still be super useful. I'm still super high on him. I really think he's underrated bizarrely.

yep he looked bad last night and people use that to project him for the rest of his life. Insanity on here.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If nothing happens this summer, you have to think the org believes Romanov is ready. Romanov is better suited to play tough minutes with Weber, while Mete can play second pair with Petry, and Kulak with Benn/Juulsen/Fleury is fine for the bottom pair.

If the org doesn’t think Romanov is ready we will make a move- but top 4 Ds ain’t cheap. Even mediocre ones like Muzzin costs a 1st rounder plus...

This is why I really Hope Romanov is ready, because he’d only cost cash to buy him out from his KHL squad. But from what I saw at the WJC he’s close. Hell he could probably play now. But give him an off-season and a preseason and I think it’s very possible.
I would strongly suggest that if there is a buyout for Romanov this year? We let him season himself in the AHL. There are no quick fixes IMO.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

If it wasn’t for the sad state of our left defense corps, Mete would be in the AHL too. The fact he’s better than Reilly, Benn & Kulak says more about them then it does about Mete.

He’s good, and he has potential to be a top-4 guy IMO. That said right now his place should be on a bottom pair in the NHL or a top pair in the AHL

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If it wasn’t for the sad state of our left defense corps, Mete would be in the AHL too. The fact he’s better than Reilly, Benn & Kulak says more about them then it does about Mete.

He’s good, and he has potential to be a top-4 guy IMO. That said right now his place should be on a bottom pair in the NHL or a top pair in the AHL

It really doesn't matter how weak a D corps is, you make the NHL at 19 you're doing something right. It's not like it's some random guy. Why isn't Fleury up? He no good?

It absolutely says how good Mete is. He's 20 freaking years old. Kid produces close to Sergachev's level in juniors. Makes the NHL at 19. Has a great WJC. Shows more good than bad on a playoff bubble teams's top pairing as a 20 year old and people are so meh on him. It's just so weird. Yeah our left side's bad. Doesn't mean that Mete hasn't been showing some very good things.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It really doesn't matter how weak a D corps is, you make the NHL at 19 you're doing something right. It's not like it's some random guy. Why isn't Fleury up? He no good?

It absolutely says how good Mete is. He's 20 freaking years old. Kid produces close to Sergachev's level in juniors. Makes the NHL at 19. Has a great WJC. Shows more good than bad on a playoff bubble teams's top pairing as a 20 year old and people are so meh on him. It's just so weird. Yeah our left side's bad. Doesn't mean that Mete hasn't been showing some very good things.

And he hasn’t produced anything like Sergachev in the NHL so it’s a moot point.

Mete is good though, and what he’s done at 19/20 is impressive and I never said otherwise.

I’ve been pro-Mete for a long time, I even preferred him to Sergachev when they were both in our system. I just feel if the team was stronger at LD he’d be in a more optimal position to grow rather than being thrust into a role he isn’t ready for.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
And he hasn’t produced anything like Sergachev in the NHL so it’s a moot point.

Mete is good though, and what he’s done at 19/20 is impressive and I never said otherwise.

I’ve been pro-Mete for a long time, I even preferred him to Sergachev when they were both in our system. I just feel if the team was stronger at LD he’d be in a more optimal position to grow rather than being thrust into a role he isn’t ready for.

I should say that I think he could benefit from the AHL too but I think it's 50/50. Sergachev's production is pretty circumstantial though. Not to say Mete would've scored as much on TB necesssarily but I think they've been similar enough. I really don't think he's as in over his head as some think. He's gotten better which is what you want to see.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Kid played a real bad game IMO, and I get that he's doing pretty good for his age. I'm not convince that he's top 4 material and for now, him in our top 4 isn't doing him any good cause he can't keep up. At the end of the day, he's not NHL material today.
For now, I'm not a fan but I kinda see potential.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kid played a real bad game IMO, and I get that he's doing pretty good for his age. I'm not convince that he's top 4 material and for now, him in our top 4 isn't doing him any good cause he can't keep up. At the end of the day, he's not NHL material today.
For now, I'm not a fan but I kinda see potential.
He's been playing top four all year and he had a hanful of bad games... At 20. How are you not convinced he's a top 4 player and how do you even go further and call him AHl material ? This is reactionary at best. Where were you for the 50 games he played where he was clearly a top 4 D ?

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
He's been playing top four all year and he had a hanful of bad games... At 20. How are you not convinced he's a top 4 player and how do you even go further and call him AHl material ? This is reactionary at best. Where were you for the 50 games he played where he was clearly a top 4 D ?
I don't think it's reactionary one bit and have not like him one bit. My problems aside from a few rookie mistake has been how soft he play defensively and given his size, he needs to bring more then a few good zone rush. Maybe if he had a bigger impact offensively, his defensive misapp could be overlook to some degree. But at 20, I understand he will get stronger and gain maturity around 25. I guess wen I say NHL material, it's more like playing top 4 minutes and I don't like it one bit today.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think it's reactionary one bit and have not like him one bit. My problems aside from a few rookie mistake has been how soft he play defensively and given his size, he needs to bring more then a few good zone rush. Maybe if he had a bigger impact offensively, his defensive misapp could be overlook to some degree. But at 20, I understand he will get stronger and gain maturity around 25. I guess wen I say NHL material, it's more like playing top 4 minutes and I don't like it one bit today.
He's legit gave up 9 goals since coming back from his AHL stint... ?

As of last week he was the best D on the team in this span, with Weber trailing him by one goal and he was the 2nd best offensively behind Petry... ? He's been on the ice for 9 goal against in the past 29 games... ? Like I don't even know what you want here.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I like Mete and he will only get better but we need a more seasoned #2 D than what he currently brings

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
He's legit gave up 9 goals since coming back from his AHL stint... ?

As of last week he was the best D on the team in this span, with Weber trailing him by one goal and he was the 2nd best offensively behind Petry... ? He's been on the ice for 9 goal against in the past 29 games... ? Like I don't even know what you want here.

See post above, with little less optimism. In other words, I remain a bit septic.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it's not really fair to compare Mete to Sergachev. I know he's on that powerhouse but I'm actually surprised he has only 13 goals with them as his shot might be his best asset, what a cannon. He had a down year in the OHL after we sent him back, as I remember watching him and he seemed disinterested and perhaps sulking. He dominated the O at 17 though with 57 pts in 67 games. You don't see that many 17 year olds get named defensemen of the year.

Mete just doesn't seem to have much of a shot yet, i'm sure he'll score his share of goals here and there but I wouldn't want to compare his shot to Sergachev's as there's a good reason why one went 9th OA.

Mete like Lekonen are players we should have patience with, we aren't going anyway, yes it sucks to lose to the leafs every game but we also can't match them for high end talent. We should be losing with youth vs rushing to trade them for older players in the hopes we make the playoffs or win a few games in the playoffs. Let the young players learn on the job and hope that we get rewarded down the road when they are joined by others.

Reactions: covfefe and Fixxer

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
it's not really fair to compare Mete to Sergachev. I know he's on that powerhouse but I'm actually surprised he has only 13 goals with them as his shot might be his best asset, what a cannon. He had a down year in the OHL after we sent him back, as I remember watching him and he seemed disinterested and perhaps sulking. He dominated the O at 17 though with 57 pts in 67 games. You don't see that many 17 year olds get named defensemen of the year.

Mete just doesn't seem to have much of a shot yet, i'm sure he'll score his share of goals here and there but I wouldn't want to compare his shot to Sergachev's as there's a good reason why one went 9th OA.

Mete like Lekonen are players we should have patience with, we aren't going anyway, yes it sucks to lose to the leafs every game but we also can't match them for high end talent. We should be losing with youth vs rushing to trade them for older players in the hopes we make the playoffs or win a few games in the playoffs. Let the young players learn on the job and hope that we get rewarded down the road when they are joined by others.

I'm ok with that to some degree. Whether I'm happy with Mete or not, still lots of value and you got to be careful to include him in any trade.
To me Sergachev has the same or close to same value with the edge on Sergachev.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

CAN I HEAR A AMEN?

Reactions: dinodebino

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Skeptic of what exactly ? He's statistically performing at top four levels.

Call it the eye test, I'm just not sold on him and never have been. I don't hate the player, far from it, just would like to see him player a lesser role.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Call it the eye test, I'm just not sold on him and never have been. I don't hate the player, far from it, just would like to see him player a lesser role.
Wed all love to see him play a lesser role, I'd love to have Karlsson playing first pairing and Weber on the second pairing, but thats not exactly realistic, right ?

In reality, Mete is a top four Dman on 50% of NHL teams, which means he's pretty much a top 4 Dman.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He's never going to score a NHL goal

(it may be a good jinx)
He will never score a goal his entire career.
That's not what I hold against him. As I said recently, Mete couldn't stop a runaway shopping chart,
He will never score a goal his entire career.

Mete stinks defensively. For that matter, the Habs need an infusion of several competent Dmen. If that's not obvious, look at how the Habs blew a 3-goal lead against Toronto. Everyone was moaning about the need for a center, but that need has been addressed. I'm truly disappointed that Bergevin didn't remedy the problem before the trade deadline (or the latest loss to NJ).

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I actually think it's Weber's struggles lately that are killing Mete. He's an outstanding skater, but he can't cover for Hal Weber.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Shaw Hat trick.png

Mete's face expression : How can Shaw score 3 in a game and I can't even score one...
;)

How would you rate him on a defensemen depth chart.
#3 or #4
Nothing against him and with Weber he's doing fine.
I just mean "in an ideal world", on a contender, he's be either a #3 (helping out a veteran defensemen). He's got great speed. Maybe a #4 because of his lack of physicality and same with scoring.
He's young and promising. It's "sad" that he's not scoring, but at least we know already that scoring goals is not to be expected out of him. It'll be a nice surprise when it goes in. Maybe next year he comes stronger and scores a few. Anyway, still games to be played.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

May I recommend a consultation with
Accueil | OODQ

I am sure they can help you with your eye test. As you can't fail such eye tests that badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad