Speculation: Victor Hedman's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This is a lot like the Stamkos situation. His agent will know what he can get on the market. Let's assume Hedman scores 50+ points this year. Let's also assume we make the playoffs and Hedman gets on the national stage again.

How much do you think teams who've been starving for a legit #1D would offer him as a UFA? There probably aren't five defensemen in the league better than Hedman. It definitely helps that a couple of them are on sweetheart deals, but those deals were signed before the players (Karlsson, Keith) had solidified themselves as truly elite D. Which is what Hedman is doing as we speak. Brent Seabrook makes nearly 7. $8m would be a huge discount for Hedman.

He can give us a discount, but if he doesn't want I will gladly pay him 9 per year

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Its funny almost nobody is scared to pay hedman on this board but we are all scared to pay stamkos lol

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think hedman has a reasonable agent also who will work out a fair deal with yzerman

You have to stop looking at Stamkos and his agent like bad guys. They're being COMPLETELY reasonable. It doesn't make Stamkos a bad guy that he doesn't want to leave 3-4 million dollars PER YEAR on the table to stay in TB. He can easily make more money than he's worth. He doesn't have to say, "Well, gee, I don't think I'm worth twelve million," if someone is willing to give him that much.

I'm not sure why you would expect Hedman to be different. The only difference is his actual value isn't hugely different from his perceived value. It has nothing to do with being reasonable.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You have to stop looking at Stamkos and his agent like bad guys. They're being COMPLETELY reasonable. It doesn't make Stamkos a bad guy that he doesn't want to leave 3-4 million dollars PER YEAR on the table to stay in TB. He can easily make more money than he's worth. He doesn't have to say, "Well, gee, I don't think I'm worth twelve million," if someone is willing to give him that much.

I'm not sure why you would expect Hedman to be different. The only difference is his actual value isn't hugely different from his perceived value. It has nothing to do with being reasonable.

What reason has stamkos given that he deserves a raise ?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Well said. I'm not happy with Stamkos on the ice, but off the ice he's just a worker negotiating the best possible salary for himself. And if in his heart of hearts he wants to exercise his rights under the cba to play in another market, that's perfectly fine.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well said. I'm not happy with Stamkos on the ice, but off the ice he's just a worker negotiating the best possible salary for himself. And if in his heart of hearts he wants to exercise his rights under the cba to play in another market, that's perfectly fine.

Leaf fan here. I agree with all this but if I was a TB fan, I'd be pissed beyond words at this twitter BS. Stamkos is your captain and he's behaving like a spoiled egomaniac. Really feel bad for you guys but that said, I'll feel worse for us if we overpay him. TBH, I'm questioning his character after this tweet crap, maybe I'm over-reacting but that's the way I feel.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Yup this is how I feel as well. I have no issue with him trying to get as much money as possible. I have a problem with him spending his last season with the Bolts playing like crap and acting like an *******. If he's not giving 100% every night I don't want him on the roster. Same goes for any other player, this isn't specific to Stamkos. I mean look at JT Brown. Doesn't even have half of Stamkos' skill but no one has ever questioned his passion or effort level. He wants to stay and he's working his ass off to show it. He's the guy I cheered for last night, not Captain Invisible.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What reason has stamkos given that he deserves a raise ?

He doesn't need a reason. He only needs teams lining up to give him a huge raise. That's it. And he has that. We're just apparently not one of those teams, and that's management's side of the decision. Most of this board agrees with it. But if you worked for one company, and another company offered you 25-30% more to go work for them, are you really going to say, "No, I think my current salary is fair."?

Most of us obviously believe it would be a big mistake to pay Stamkos top dollar. But there are teams that don't believe it's a mistake. And it's their right to make that mistake. And maybe Stamkos believes that, in a new setting, he actually can be worth that money. I don't buy it. You don't buy it. But there's nothing wrong with him getting the absolute most out of his hockey career.

Leaf fan here. I agree with all this but if I was a TB fan, I'd be pissed beyond words at this twitter BS. Stamkos is your captain and he's behaving like a spoiled egomaniac. Really feel bad for you guys but that said, I'll feel worse for us if we overpay him. TBH, I'm questioning his character after this tweet crap, maybe I'm over-reacting but that's the way I feel.

Yeah, I don't get it. I don't buy that it's a mistake, but it seems so out of character for Stamkos that I can't picture him doing it as a hint that he'll wind up in Toronto. Unless maybe he just doesn't realize how it might, you know, be pretty disrespectful to TB fans/players/management etc etc etc. Stamkos has definitely developed a reputation for bad decisions (on-ice), after all.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
While I think it's more likely than not that Stamkos has other suitors willing to pay a lot, I honestly wouldn't be completely surprised if those offers don't manifest themselves come July 1st and interest dries up, especially if his poor stats continue. The cap is stagnant and teams might finally be starting to buy a clue, preferring to tie up their RFAs at a lower price than splurge on UFAs. The drama might well continue for days after the supposed deadline.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
He could probably get 9 on the open market 2 years from now but I think Yzerman will want him signed this summer and avoid all the rumors/distractions like with Stamkos now.

Since he seems happy in Tampa and can be offered 8 years instead of 7 as a UFA,
I think ~8M is where he would land

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Victor Hedman contract

When do you predict hedman will sign his contract extension? And for how much ?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I find it totally insane to only play someone like Hedman 20-21 minutes per game.

When you have a monster like him on your team, you give him every minute he can handle - and that' s sure as heck more than he's getting in TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad