Speculation: Victor Hedman's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hedman has one year left on his deal what are we looking a cap wise to sign him. Do you think he gets subban money 9 per year for 8 years ? As a Lightning fan what's the most you would pay him if you are yzerman?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He could get $9m and I wouldn't be concerned one bit.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya I'm sick of talking about stamkos I feel the same way I have no issue paying hedman 9 million a season.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Since he's going to be our next captain I can see him easily getting $7 - $9. I don't see his play slowing down once he's in his early 30's either. Sign him for a long term deal with him making the big money in his first 5 years then have it drop down as he ages to make it easier on the cap later on.

Hedman (aside from a beast Drouin and Bish) has been Tampas best player this season and was up their with TKO last season. a #1 Defensemen is a valuable thing to have and one of the hardest things to get. Pay this man!!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
if hedman makes ufa july 1st 2017 would any teams offer him 10 million a year for 7 years ? which i doubt he hits ufa i'm sure it's a no brainer yzerman see him as core on our team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He'll get at least Subban money. There'll be bumps in the road, and we'll probably complain about him from time to time, like any player with a big contract, but overall I think we'll be happy with it.

I don't think anyone would really be uncomfortable giving him 9 or even 10. Which really brings home just how crazy this Stamkos situation has become.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
callahan ?

God no....... I mean... naw, leave him with the A. He should be doing a lot more if he wants the "C" buddies not performing the way he should for his cap hit.

He'll get at least Subban money. There'll be bumps in the road, and we'll probably complain about him from time to time, like any player with a big contract, but overall I think we'll be happy with it.

I don't think anyone would really be uncomfortable giving him 9 or even 10. Which really brings home just how crazy this Stamkos situation has become.

I think 10 is too high, does any defensemen even make that much money, the highest paid defensemen have won cups or norris trophies that help boost their salary a bit, Hedman is fantastic but I doubt he gets that much, I expect 7-9, probably around 7.5 - 8.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
God no....... I mean... naw, leave him with the A. He should be doing a lot more if he wants the "C" buddies not performing the way he should for his cap hit.

I think 10 is too high, does any defensemen even make that much money, the highest paid defensemen have won cups or norris trophies that help boost their salary a bit, Hedman is fantastic but I doubt he gets that much, I expect 7-9, probably around 7.5 - 8.

There's always Shea Weber.

Hedman could get a Norris nomination this year. Even if he doesn't though, he's established himself in the top six or seven Dmen in the league. Given that it's been a couple of years now since the Subban contract, I would expect at least 9. 10 isn't out of the question.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
There's always Shea Weber.

Hedman could get a Norris nomination this year. Even if he doesn't though, he's established himself in the top six or seven Dmen in the league. Given that it's been a couple of years now since the Subban contract, I would expect at least 9. 10 isn't out of the question.

Karlsson has too much momentum and Hedman too little. Even if Karlsson went down today, Giordano-style, there would still be other goalies over him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

well subban gets 9 per year so around 8.5 to 9 per year for hedman is what i expect

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
8Mx8Y

I don't think he'll get into Subban money without being a pp guy, but he's definitely top tier at 5vs5

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Subban got $9 million because he's a high scoring defenseman. Hedman doesn't even approach his numbers. I doubt he surpasses Subban's contract, but general inflation might put him just behind.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No problem paying Hedman 8 to 9 million. We can't pay Stamkos if we are going to pay Hedman and all of TKO. Also, Bishop is going to need to be paid. Vasy is nowhere close to replacing him. The writing is on the wall, need to part ways with Stamkos, it is the better business decision. We will even be able to go after some missing pieces like a Top 4D who can shoot at the point on the PP.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Subban got $9 million because he's a high scoring defenseman. Hedman doesn't even approach his numbers. I doubt he surpasses Subban's contract, but general inflation might put him just behind.

Hedman's numbers are a lot closer to PK's than you think. Hedman outscored him two years ago, in fewer games, and would have been within 5-10 points of PK last year if not for the injury. He made up for that in the playoffs. And Hedman's a much better defender.

Salaries go nothing but up. By the time Hedman's contract comes up, he'll be asking for at least PK money. Probably more. It's still two years away. I mean, this is a world where Stamkos wants Kane/Toews money.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
46671969.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Give him 8x8

This is a lot like the Stamkos situation. His agent will know what he can get on the market. Let's assume Hedman scores 50+ points this year. Let's also assume we make the playoffs and Hedman gets on the national stage again.

How much do you think teams who've been starving for a legit #1D would offer him as a UFA? There probably aren't five defensemen in the league better than Hedman. It definitely helps that a couple of them are on sweetheart deals, but those deals were signed before the players (Karlsson, Keith) had solidified themselves as truly elite D. Which is what Hedman is doing as we speak. Brent Seabrook makes nearly 7. $8m would be a huge discount for Hedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad