Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Okay. Find a list that has Lidstrom above Orr. I say this as someone who watched Lidstrom regularly. Well over a thousand games of his career.
Why? I could probably find lists that show either one was better. Are lists the be all end all for everyone's opinion?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why? I could probably find lists that show either one was better. Are lists the be all end all for everyone's opinion?

That's the thing. You won't find one. At least not one from any kind of credible media outlet. There's a reason for that--Orr was on a different level.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And I disagree

I hate to say it man but that's just not a good hill to stand on. My uncle Dave watched Bobby Orr quite literally skate figure 8's at center ice of the old Olympia shorthanded until he finally found enough of a seam to burst through for breakaways. It's been almost 50 years and the old bastard is still marveled by it. It speaks wonders to Bobby's talent that only Paul Coffey (possibly the best skater ever) came closest to comparable scoring production in terms of points per season and was still only a fraction as effective because Bobby's defense was other worldly.

And even then when you look at the record books Bourque has more points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hate to say it man but that's just not a good hill to stand on. My uncle Dave watched Bobby Orr quite literally skate figure 8's at center ice of the old Olympia shorthanded until he finally found enough of a seam to burst through for breakaways. It's been almost 50 years and the old bastard is still marveled by it. It speaks wonders to Bobby's talent that only Paul Coffey (possibly the best skater ever) came closest to comparable scoring production in terms of points per season and was still only a fraction as effective because Bobby's defense was other worldly.

And even then when you look at the record books Bourque has more points.

Orr retired early. He still managed to win three Hart trophies, if I'm not mistaken, and at least one Art Ross trophy. Also pretty sure he scored 130 points as a defenseman, and not even in the high flying 80s.

And yeah, your uncle's story is pretty common for guys who watched a lot of hockey in the 70s, I think. I've also heard stories about how the guy killed penalties by basically going for a skate with the puck. A lot of it is mythologized now, but even so, that entire generation says the same thing about the guy, so I'm gonna guess it's not all that inaccurate. And most of those guys are still watching hockey now, and they say nobody's really come close since. I buy that.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
For what wee bit it's worth, I'm older than dirt. Got to watch some of the greatest players ever as a kid and a teen and I've always had a huge soft spot for defensemen and goalies.

I absolutely adore Lidström who was damn close to perfect in my eyes. This coming from a kid who was raised a devoted Blackhawks fan who normally hated anything Red Wings. :P I definitely consider him one of the best defensemen of all time.

HOWEVER, Orr was just on a whole other level. Just unbelievably unreal. His speed and skating was just plain phenomenal. Yeah, the memories might be seen now through the rosy haze of nostalgia, but damn, there really hasn't been anyone close to his level since then. In my very humble opinion, of course. :DD

To get back on topic, there are times when Heddy shows some amazing skating for a guy his size. He can drive the rush and then get back to defend faster than most opponents realize. Heck, I remember one game where Heddy was skating SIDEWAYS, still keeping up with one of the top speed demon forwards, stuck out his unbelievably long stick and disrupted the rush. So much fun to watch when he's on fire. :heart::heart:

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Two huge assists tonight. He's easily been our MVP through half the season, all due respect to Killer and Stamkos.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Two huge assists tonight. He's easily been our MVP through half the season, all due respect to Killer and Stamkos.
Defensively he was meh tonight. Kind of asleep at the wheel

Although I will agree. Ever since the Sweden trip Heddy has been an absolute monster! MVP for sure

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As they should, he's arguably a top-5 player in the entire league. Even though the hockey media and HFB hivemind would never acknowledge that.
I think he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay underrated. There are zero defensemen in the league who can put up his offense while also having legit elite defense. Josi? C'mon son. Doughty? Not anymore, and never had the offense. Karlsson? LOLOLOL. Carlson? Same.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay underrated. There are zero defensemen in the league who can put up his offense while also having legit elite defense. Josi? C'mon son. Doughty? Not anymore, and never had the offense. Karlsson? LOLOLOL. Carlson? Same.
It's especially funny when people claim Hedman's offence is a product of a good offensive team, when his most productive season was when we missed the playoffs and were 14th in goals for.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TheAthletic's players poll rated 77 as the best defensive dman in the league.

I think that's probably been true since Karlsson started to fall off. It's good to see people recognizing it. Not to get back into the Lidstrom debate, but it feels very similar. Hedman's a little bit understated, so it's easy to overlook him, but it's starting to seem like he's pulling away from the pack through sheer consistency. To me, there's no argument left. He's the top guy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Carlson sure that's a given but I think Josi is the most impressive Dman this season all things considered.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think that's probably been true since Karlsson started to fall off. It's good to see people recognizing it. Not to get back into the Lidstrom debate, but it feels very similar. Hedman's a little bit understated, so it's easy to overlook him, but it's starting to seem like he's pulling away from the pack through sheer consistency. To me, there's no argument left. He's the top guy.

Don't really feel like he's that under rated as based on that poll and that he's been unanimously a top-3 defense-man over the past couple years. Defenseman aren't talked about in general, Karlsson was just propagated by Canadian media when he was playing in Ottawa and well his play style was pretty much like a 4th forward anyways.

You didn't hear much about Burns either while they were at the top and even less about John Carlson who has 60 points on the season right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't really feel like he's that under rated as based on that poll and that he's been unanimously a top-3 defense-man over the past couple years. Defenseman aren't talked about in general, Karlsson was just propagated by Canadian media when he was playing in Ottawa, you didn't hear much about Burns either while they were at the top and even less about John Carlson who has 60 points on the season right now.

Wasn't that poll taken among players though? I mean more in the general public. I think most people have Hedman in their top-5, but honestly, I think that's under-rating him.

I feel like Burns definitely got his due in the Canadian media. Carlson not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad