Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When you take the entirety of his game into account... He really might be the best in the league, especially now that Karlsson's not really Karlsson anymore.

If Burns and Karlsson aren't outputting great offensive numbers they're a net negative. That's something you rarely have to worry about Hedman even if he's not producing. I wouldn't say it's a stretch, those 3 were pretty much interchangable the last couple years and 1 season is enough to pull ahead especially given how bad the other 2 are right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Every damn midseason awards have Carlson, Josi, and Hamilton as the top 3. Really crazy how 77 is slipping under the radar.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Every damn midseason awards have Carlson, Josi, and Hamilton as the top 3. Really crazy how 77 is slipping under the radar.
To be fair Hedman started to heat up November-Now. If he continues at this pace it will be very tough between Carlson and Hedman for the Norris. Carlson has started to slow down a bit, still easily the frontrunner though

Reactions: Hoek and Zwui21

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
To be fair Hedman started to heat up November-Now. If he continues at this pace it will be very tough between Carlson and Hedman for the Norris. Carlson has started to slow down a bit, still easily the frontrunner though
Yup. Since the start of November, Hedman has been the top point producing Dman (in term of p/GP) in the whole NHL. Carlson has 29 points in 28 games while Hedman has 28 in 26.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he continues at his current level he'll probably get a lot more buzz. Probably win the award too. I really think he's the best defenseman in the NHL right now, and his game has matured to a point where he doesn't need to be the most visible player on the ice to have a massive impact on the game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If he continues at his current level he'll probably get a lot more buzz. Probably win the award too. I really think he's the best defenseman in the NHL right now, and his game has matured to a point where he doesn't need to be the most visible player on the ice to have a massive impact on the game.
Hedman is the only d-man in the league who's been able to stay at the top in the past say 5 years. Karlsson, Josi, Doughty, they've all had their ups and downs. But Hedman has always been there. He hasn't necessarily been the best each year but no other has been at the top as consistently as him.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Let's just hope Pappa Heddy comes to all the home games from here on out.

(Is that one of those hashtag things? #goodluckcharm. I don't do the social media thing, so I don't know)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's like, dare I say it, Lidstrom. Lidstrom wasn't always the talk as the best guy until he just kept being steady for so many years he became the de facto standard. It took 10 years to win his first Norris and then he started piling them up. Hedman took just about as long for his first.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
He's like, dare I say it, Lidstrom. Lidstrom wasn't always the talk as the best guy until he just kept being steady for so many years he became the de facto standard. It took 10 years to win his first Norris and then he started piling them up. Hedman took just about as long for his first.
He also doesn't play super physical which should help his longevity. Also a lot like Lidstrom. But Lidstrom was arguably the best D-man in history. Time will tell how Headman compares. Looking good so far though :nod:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I almost said it but didn't. Lidstrom should have won Norris trophies even before they started coming. Consistency was his main strength. We're starting to see that from Hedman. He's still not really in Lidstrom's tier, mind you, because he does make the odd mistake, whereas Lidstrom's game was squeaky clean every single night. But you get the feeling Hedman is controlling all 200 feet of ice every time he steps out there, which is very similar to Lidstrom.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I can't think of an argument for not having Orr as your greatest defenseman in history.
My argument is Nick Lidstrom existed and played. Orr definitely scored more but I don't think you can say he was better defensively then Orr.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wait are you saying he was or wasn't?
I think he was personally

Nah. He's probably around 3-5. That's a huge compliment. He's the best of his era by a huge margin, but Orr's in the conversation with Gretzky and Lemieux.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My argument is Nick Lidstrom existed and played. Orr definitely scored more but I don't think you can say he was better defensively then Orr.

Yes you can. Orr was a monster. Best player in the game, period, not just defenseman, in his era. I never saw the guy play but you have to respect how unanimous the opinion of all the people of that generation is. A lot of them will argue he was better than Gretzky.

Lidstrom is one of my all time favorite players. I watched him religiously when I was a kid. But nobody ever put him in the conversation with Orr. Orr wasn't a Paul Coffey or Erik Karlsson type defenseman. He was more like Lidstrom on steroids.

Reactions: The Macho Man

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Of course you disagree :rolleyes:

;p

Of course. But the idea that Orr is the best defenseman who ever played is pretty unanimously agreed upon.

Bourque also wins out over Lidstrom. That one's closer, but still clear. Lidstrom's best argument is at #3. But I mean, that's a huge achievement. We might never see a better defenseman from here on out, or at least not one who separates himself from the pack the way Lidstrom did. We'll almost certainly never see another Orr.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
;p

Of course. But the idea that Orr is the best defenseman who ever played is pretty unanimously agreed upon.

Bourque also wins out over Lidstrom. That one's closer, but still clear. Lidstrom's best argument is at #3. But I mean, that's a huge achievement. We might never see a better defenseman from here on out, or at least not one who separates himself from the pack the way Lidstrom did. We'll almost certainly never see another Orr.
And I disagree

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Orr had over twice as many points as the 2nd highest scoring defenseman during his haydays in 1969-75. No one has dominated his peers in this league's history quite like him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hedman's been a Norris finalist the past 3 seasons (3rd, 1st, 3rd). Seems like a safe bet he'll be one again this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad