Injury Report: Victor Hedman knee-on-knee collision (out 3-6 weeks) | cleared to play after 3 weeks

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Why does it HAVE to be a D that runs the PP? Don't we go 4 forwards and 1 D for the PP, but in the current system it's that D that sits on the point to dish to both wings? Small change and we could have Kuch, Point, or Johnson playing that role. Just ask Yzerman for some pointers on how Federov used to do it when Lidstrom wasn't in the ice.
I'm not saying it's permanent, but something to try and it would give the other team some different looks they haven't prepared for.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why does it HAVE to be a D that runs the PP? Don't we go 4 forwards and 1 D for the PP, but in the current system it's that D that sits on the point to dish to both wings? Small change and we could have Kuch, Point, or Johnson playing that role. Just ask Yzerman for some pointers on how Federov used to do it when Lidstrom wasn't in the ice.
I'm not saying it's permanent, but something to try and it would give the other team some different looks they haven't prepared for.

Hedman is probably our best pure passer next to Kucherov, so it makes sense to have him threading pucks on a tee to our best snipers.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Having at least 1 d because “forwards can’t skate backwards and defend” nearly as well as a dman when things go awry. That seems like the most obvious answer (because it is pointed out when it happens). 5 forwards may increase chances of scoring, but for both the sides

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'd also imagine that most Dmen have tailored their games around generating chances from up top. They tend to be the best bombers. That being said, I'd be okay with Kuch, Stammer, Point, and two of Gourde/TJ/Palat.

Then we could try a second unit of Coburn, Sustr, Paquette, Cally and Killorn.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Didn't we run a 5F PP for a while with Stamkos, Malone, Vinny, Marty and Gagne? Marty was the distributor at the blue line, Malone was in front of the net, Stammer and Vinny on the sides with Gagne creating confusion switching around the middle and sides.

Shoresy Snipes

May 6, 2017
Hedman is probably our best pure passer next to Kucherov, so it makes sense to have him threading pucks on a tee to our best snipers.

Well...yes, but that's not an option for the next 3 to 6 weeks. I thought we were discussing what to do on the PP during that time.

For the record, I'm also in favor splitting up Kuch and Stammer on the PP from time to time. (Key words: from time to time) Rationale is that teams study and practice for our current PP system. Teams now just stay tight and clog up the center, and basically just play to defend the cross ice pass. Over an 82 game schedule, gotta change it up and keep the other teams guessing.

Shoresy Snipes

May 6, 2017
Having at least 1 d because “forwards can’t skate backwards and defend” nearly as well as a dman when things go awry. That seems like the most obvious answer (because it is pointed out when it happens). 5 forwards may increase chances of scoring, but for both the sides

I didn't mean to imply 5 forwards. Just not one of our current D playing the setup role on the point. I'll guarantee Serg would love to slide over to a right D / high right wing and blast one-timers every PP. (Since Kuch won't seem to do it anymore)

In other words, the current PP1 line is tailored for Hedman. If no Hedman for 3 to 6 weeks, why think we have to keep the same system in place that whole time? Good coaching is all about putting your current players in a position they can best be utilized. Bad coaching is trying to force a young or average D into a system tailored for a world-class player and expecting world-class results from that new player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Didn't we run a 5F PP for a while with Stamkos, Malone, Vinny, Marty and Gagne? Marty was the distributor at the blue line, Malone was in front of the net, Stammer and Vinny on the sides with Gagne creating confusion switching around the middle and sides.
We gave up so many shorties with that set up...

5F I think is a mistake. You need someone who can skate backwards.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Let's just say **** it and use Dotchin on the PP.

giphy.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Holy that was a fast 3 weeks, they did show a clip of him skating and doing drills during the all-star coverage though - looks like he's doing fine in recovery

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Very good sign if he's at least travelling with the team. Good to have him be a locker room presence for them on the rest of the road trip.

I'm fine with them not rushing Heddy back, make sure he's fully ready to go.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad