Prospect Info: Victor Ejdsell

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I hope I'm wrong but from what I saw last season (albeit a small sample size) Edjsell seemed like "just a guy."

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This thread is about Ejdsell,not Hayden...

My question is do the Hawks deploy Ejdsell as a C or as a Winger?

If as a winger then we still need AA as a 3C...and then the question on Ejdsell is whether he would be just a 3rd line winger or given a chance at 2LW ?

If as 3C then they can trade AA;that cap savings puts them I'm play for tradibg for Karlsson or Panarin...but then right back to cap hell for next season to pay D-Cat and Schmaltz. THEY would need to trade Connor Murphy and get enough cap rise to be OK ..but going after Karlsson or Panar in NOW would cost prospects and picks or roster players ...too expensive in that give up. .So better to play the short game..add a UFA...Nash ? on a 1 yr ...than give up more assets ...I do not want to give up any more 21st rounders in 2019 2020 or 2021 drafts.. the quality is too good in those drafts ..

And surely they would demand Schmaltz or D-Cat too in any deal for Karlsson or Panarin. ..too expensive NOW...better to wait and try for them Next simmer as Ufa guys if they do not sign extentions somewhere before then. Indications aren't hat Panarin may stayvunextendrd to go Ufa next summer ..Blue Jackets could trade him as a rental for a team going all in to win this year ...but maybe Panarin thinks Hawks would make a pitch for him as a Ufa next summer? To re-unite with Kane if the money is in the balllpark ...that could be very enticing for him.

So the question is our Centre plans for both this season and beyond..

Probably we keep AA as 3C...trading him only at TDL ...if we are not in the playoff picture ..or keeping him all season if we are in a playoff position or close at the TDL ...this means E.jdsell is only at wing this season.

If we determine Ejdsell can handle the 3C..then we trade AA now for picks (2nd 2019 and 3rd 2020 or 2021?) ..I doubt anyone gives us a 1st for him.

So a lot is riding on the Ejdsell and AA issues...as to who plays the 3C ...and when.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm not high on him.

I don't think his skating is up to par with the increasing pace of the NHL game. There's always a chance he could improve it, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I think he'll get more chances, higher in the lineup, than he deserves based on Q's belief that you need size up front. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see him start on one of the top 6 wings while Debrincat is stuck in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Rolo

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Doesn’t need to shoot first, but maybe just 20%-30% more. Can’t lose that passing of his, which would be even more dangerous given the increased unpredictability of shot vs pass for defenders.

I agree. It drives me crazy when, rather than getting the puck to the blue paint when no one is open, Schmaltz instead throws a pass into the middle with a hope and a prayer that somehow it will click. And to make matters worse the resulting turnover can prove to be costly in transition.

And another thought: since Cat is so adept at finding those soft areas and sniping, I think Schmaltz and Cat should be on the same line.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not high on him.

I don't think his skating is up to par with the increasing pace of the NHL game. There's always a chance he could improve it, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I think he'll get more chances, higher in the lineup, than he deserves based on Q's belief that you need size up front. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see him start on one of the top 6 wings while Debrincat is stuck in the bottom 6.

I think Eggshell may turn out like Pirri, with a lesser shot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree. It drives me crazy when, rather than getting the puck to the blue paint when no one is open, Schmaltz instead throws a pass into the middle with a hope and a prayer that somehow it will click. And to make matters worse the resulting turnover can prove to be costly in transition.

And another thought: since Cat is so adept at finding those soft areas and sniping, I think Schmaltz and Cat should be on the same line.

It drives us all crazy but I do agree he would be good with Cat.

40/VE-19-88
20-8-12?

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think Eggshell may turn out like Pirri, with a lesser shot.

Much different player than Pirri though. He seems to put that long reach to good use - can he do that at the NHL level? Apparently, he is not comfortable yet on NA ice but logic says the smaller ice surface should help his game, so we'll see. He did look sluggish though in his short stint.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I hope Eggshell comes to camp a step quicker ... he looks a step too slow for anything other than 3rd/4th line

Reactions: BobbyJet

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
But he’s so much fun to watch backchecking and stealing the puck. Otherwise, I agree, pissed every time he eschews the open shot for a forced pass.
...Or Cat and Kane. Those two combos are patently obvious to all, except the Hawks’ venerable HC.

Reactions: BobbyJet

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm kinda hoping to see a line of DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Ejdsell this season. A skilled playmaking center with two good shots on his wings. Also Ejdsell adds a little size to that line, while Cat and Schmaltz can be relied to move the puck up ice (Ejdsell is a bit too slow to do that on his own).

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I agree. It drives me crazy when, rather than getting the puck to the blue paint when no one is open, Schmaltz instead throws a pass into the middle with a hope and a prayer that somehow it will click. And to make matters worse the resulting turnover can prove to be costly in transition..
If you followed the POs, many do this in hope something happens with luck and bounces.
I'm not a fan of it either.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I can't speak for MM but I think the point he was making is that Ejdsell is a bit slow, has a pretty good shot but his skating may well hinder his progress in the NHL. In that regard, similar to Pirri. He wasn't comparing the way each plays the game necessarily, just the similarities - their weak skating and the fact they can both shoot the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
FWIW, I'm pretty dubious about Ejdsell's ability to play center. At least well, anyway. But it certainly can't hurt to put the carrot out there. His primary focus should be on improving his skating. And, yes, adding more physicality to his game would be nice too. But skating, skating, skating! That's his ticket to a long NHL ride.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The nickname beats the hell out of "Breadman", I tell you that much. :)

Totally agree that the nickname "Breadman" sucks (was somewhat cute for a ~nanosecond, now decidedly not). But that's a helluva reason for calling Ejdsell "Eggshell." I'll concede the name similarity (doh!), but eggshell (i.e., fragile) is pretty derisive (for a hockey player, anyway) and unwarranted.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Totally agree that the nickname "Breadman" sucks (was somewhat cute for a ~nanosecond, now decidedly not). But that's a helluva reason for calling Ejdsell "Eggshell." I'll concede the name similarity (doh!), but eggshell (i.e., fragile) is pretty derisive (for a hockey player, anyway) and unwarranted.

It's easier to say and spell, like Hammer was when he was here. I wouldn't read more into the nickname than that. Geeez.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It's easier to say and spell, like Hammer was when he was here. I wouldn't read more into the nickname than that. Geeez.

Apologies for bustin' your balls. Thought the nickname was more than a play on words.

Ejdsell has a great opportunity here. Hope he grabs the ring.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I can't speak for MM but I think the point he was making is that Ejdsell is a bit slow, has a pretty good shot but his skating may well hinder his progress in the NHL. In that regard, similar to Pirri. He wasn't comparing the way each plays the game necessarily, just the similarities - their weak skating and the fact they can both shoot the puck.

Again Bobby is one who gets things without a long drawn out dissertation. You know, the game within the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad