GDT: VI | "QE2 Alberta Advantage" | Oilers vs. Preds | 10.20.18 | 8:00PM | HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Runty whiner Lil' Johnny Crier had 1 assist and was -1 vs the Preds last night (in his 6th NHL season at age 25)... let's see what Yamamoto can do against that same team tonight.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nothing against Yamo... But why is he gifted that RW spot after playing 1/10th of the games Jesse's been having to "prove himself"?

It's not like that second line was together enough last game to determine whether or not it worked well.

Jesse has looked brutal the past few games. Totally lost in the D zone and making really odd decisions.

He needs to be much better.

Yamamoto has been more consistent IMO.
He knows where to go without the puck and he (despite his much smaller size) he is better than Jesse along the boards.
Jesse needs to step it up and not drag down his line.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like the lines but man Garrison needs to be much better than he has been. This might be his last chance at staying with the big club...for the sake of the team I hope he makes the most of it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'll go against the grain and say that I don't like Yamamoto on the top line. He's been doing better on a softer minutes line and now he'll be on a line that is the focal point of every defense. I'd actually rather see Chiasson in that spot. The Oilers are going to miss Rattie, he knows how to play with McDavid while not everybody can and he's been really good all season IMO, an underrated contributor in all zones.

Also, disappointed to see Garrison draw back in. I was looking forward to seeing the Gravel-Bouchard pairing that I've wanted to see since opening night.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'll go against the grain and say that I don't like Yamamoto on the top line. He's been doing better on a softer minutes line and now he'll be on a line that is the focal point of every defense. I'd actually rather see Chiasson in that spot. The Oilers are going to miss Rattie, he knows how to play with McDavid while not everybody can and he's been really good all season IMO, an underrated contributor in all zones.

Also, disappointed to see Garrison draw back in. I was looking forward to seeing the Gravel-Bouchard pairing that I've wanted to see since opening night.

My biggest concern with Yamamoto on the top line is that he will defer too much.
That aside I think its an intriguing line...I am curious to see how he handles it and if the players can mesh.

All that being said I look at this as a very temporary solution. I dont see Yamaoto as a long term replacement at this point in time. Also...just because Yamamoto is starting there doesnt mean he will finish the game there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My biggest concern with Yamamoto on the top line is that he will defer too much.
That aside I think its an intriguing line...I am curious to see how he handles it and if the players can mesh.

All that being said I look at this as a very temporary solution. I dont see Yamaoto as a long term replacement at this point in time. Also...just because Yamamoto is starting there doesnt mean he will finish the game there.

I know that McLellan will probably blend the lines at some point and Yamamoto deserves a look based on merit but I think he'll struggle in that spot, don't think he's ready.

It could be a real struggle tonight for a team that always looks outmatched against Nashville even when healthy. Of course I hope they prove me very wrong.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Any word on who starts in net? Do they keep rolling Talbot? or does Koskinen get his first start?

I was wondering about that myself but after thinking about it....if I am TMac I would be hard pressed to sit Talbot considering how hot he is right now.
Also...this is the best team in the NHL so far. I think they need the goalie thats going to give them the best chance to win.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
oof, didn't realize we struggled this badly against Nashville. This could be a huge win tonight...

Jebus did Gregor get some of this from my factoids earlier this am in a post? Wouldn't be the first time media were lifting things off here.

This is what I posted in the other thread at 5am;

Games involving Nashville and Edmonton beginning with the 2014-15 season:

2014-15 season:Wed Oct 29 2014at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 1
2014-15 season:Tue Nov 11 2014at NshNashville 3, Edmonton 2
2014-15 season:Thu Nov 27 2014at NshNashville 1, Edmonton 0 (OT)
2015-16 season:Sat Oct 10 2015at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 0
2015-16 season:Sat Jan 23 2016at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 1
2015-16 season:Mon Mar 14 2016at EdmNashville 3, Edmonton 2
2016-17 season:Fri Jan 20 2017at EdmNashville 3, Edmonton 2 (SO)
2016-17 season:Thu Feb 2 2017at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 0
2016-17 season:Sun Feb 26 2017at NshNashville 5, Edmonton 4
2017-18 season:Thu Dec 14 2017at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 0
2017-18 season:Tue Jan 9 2018at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 1
2017-18 season:Thu Mar 1 2018at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 2
2018-19 season:Sat Oct 20 2018Nsh at Edm
2018-19 season:Sat Oct 27 2018Edm at Nsh
2018-19 season:Mon Feb 25 2019Edm at Nsh
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Primary team Nashville: 12-0 in these games.
Goals for Nashville: 37
Goals against Nashville: 15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Drivesaitl, Today at 5:25 AM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know that McLellan will probably blend the lines at some point and Yamamoto deserves a look based on merit but I think he'll struggle in that spot, don't think he's ready.

It could be a real struggle tonight for a team that always looks outmatched against Nashville even when healthy. Of course I hope they prove me very wrong.

He could struggle...then again he might not.
He isnt a liability defensively so I dont see the same level of concern as you do.
Ultimately I dont see the harm in trying this for a period or more.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Jesse has looked brutal the past few games.

From what I read (and watched one game) he actually had two solid or even good games before the last one. I know you don't like us defending Puljujarvi and take it as a way of not accepting different opinions, but please let me just say that in what you call a brutal game most seemed to think he was one of the best players.

I repeat again that I'm expecting more from Jesse and was disappointed he was quiet in the last game. It's still quite positive that his advanced stats look pretty good (corsi 6th, fenwick 3rd and +- 5th of the forwards).

Reactions: PulYou

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I like our chances against a BtB playing Nash! Doesnt freak out either, if we lose a tight game to a real contender!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
From what I read (and watched one game) he actually had two solid or even good games before the last one. I know you don't like us defending Puljujarvi and take it as a way of not accepting different opinions, but please let me just say that in what you call a brutal game most seemed to think he was one of the best players.

I repeat again that I'm expecting more from Jesse and was disappointed he was quiet in the last game. It's still quite positive that his advanced stats look pretty good (corsi 6th, fenwick 3rd and +- 5th of the forwards).

You can defend Jesse all you want its fine. As a matter of fact I would be shocked if you didn't defend him. ;)

I am neutral and I call it as I see it. Jesse was much worse than quiet, He was bad.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Whenever I see QE2 i think of the Ship

Funny enough, when I see the shots at Calgary...like Shelbyville...I think of CBH's menu before they expanded outside of the Edmonton area. Had one line totally nothing to do with the item it was with saying "Calgarians are proof Americans screwed buffalo". LOL I remember the first time I saw that I damn near burnt out my sinuses coughing up beer. Naturally, that is no longer on the menu.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He could struggle...then again he might not.
He isnt a liability defensively so I dont see the same level of concern as you do.
Ultimately I dont see the harm in trying this for a period or more.

I don't see the harm in it. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's ready for the tough minutes role. I'd rather he continue to build chemistry with his former linemates, it's important for confidence building.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Jebus did Gregor get some of this from my factoids earlier this am in a post? Wouldn't be the first time media were lifting things off here.

This is what I posted in the other thread at 5am;

Games involving Nashville and Edmonton beginning with the 2014-15 season:

2014-15 season:Wed Oct 29 2014at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 1
2014-15 season:Tue Nov 11 2014at NshNashville 3, Edmonton 2
2014-15 season:Thu Nov 27 2014at NshNashville 1, Edmonton 0 (OT)
2015-16 season:Sat Oct 10 2015at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 0
2015-16 season:Sat Jan 23 2016at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 1
2015-16 season:Mon Mar 14 2016at EdmNashville 3, Edmonton 2
2016-17 season:Fri Jan 20 2017at EdmNashville 3, Edmonton 2 (SO)
2016-17 season:Thu Feb 2 2017at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 0
2016-17 season:Sun Feb 26 2017at NshNashville 5, Edmonton 4
2017-18 season:Thu Dec 14 2017at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 0
2017-18 season:Tue Jan 9 2018at NshNashville 2, Edmonton 1
2017-18 season:Thu Mar 1 2018at EdmNashville 4, Edmonton 2
2018-19 season:Sat Oct 20 2018Nsh at Edm
2018-19 season:Sat Oct 27 2018Edm at Nsh
2018-19 season:Mon Feb 25 2019Edm at Nsh
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Primary team Nashville: 12-0 in these games.
Goals for Nashville: 37
Goals against Nashville: 15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Drivesaitl, Today at 5:25 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard him repeat reddit postings word for word on air.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't see the harm in it. All I'm saying is that don't think he's ready for the role. I'd rather he continue to build chemistry with his former linemates, it's important for confidence building.

See...I look at this as giving Yamamoto a carrot for what he has done so far. He has been very consistent in managing the little things (the things that require hard work) and as a fan I really respect that.
Its what I would like to see from Jesse.

Anyway...I agree with you that he likely isnt ready but I think this will prove to be a motivating factor for him moving forward.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You can defend Jesse all you want its fine. As a matter of fact I would be shocked if you didn't defend him. ;)

I am neutral and I call it as I see it. Jesse was much worse than quiet, He was bad.

Like I said I'm fine with your opinion, but with all respect it's hard to see you as a perfectly neutral one :) I'd be positively surprised if you'd just once say that okay, I admit that maybe he wasn't brutal in all of the past games as you said in your previous message. But I'd be shocked if you did it :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It sure didn't take long for the shiny new toy to overshadow the old new shiny toy in people's minds.

This is an absolutely stacked team they're going up against. I don't think exposing a raw rookie to top line minutes against one of, if not the best team in the league, is a good idea.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
See...I look at this as giving Yamamoto a carrot for what he has done so far. He has been very consistent in managing the little things (the things that require hard work) and as a fan I really respect that.
Its what I would like to see from Jesse.

Anyway...I agree with you that he likely isnt ready but I think this will prove to be a motivating factor for him moving forward.

Agreed on all points.

Reactions: guymez

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It sure didn't take long for the shiny new toy to overshadow the old new shiny toy in people's minds.

This is an absolutely stacked team they're going up against. I don't think exposing a raw rookie to top line minutes against one of, if not the best team in the league, is a good idea.

Who are we putting up there instead? Draisaitl?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like I said I'm fine with your opinion, but with all respect it's hard to see you as a perfectly neutral one :) I'd be positively surprised if you'd just once say that okay, I admit that maybe he wasn't brutal in all of the past games as you said in your previous message. But I'd be shocked if you did it :)

Considering how invested in the player you are I am not at all surprised that you dont see me as neutral. Its okay though. :)
When Jesse warrants praise I will be happy to dish it out.
I will not however offer up excuse after excuse for his play. He has been brutal ...poor decisions with and without the puck...odd decisions on line changes...dragging down his line mates...very poor play along the boards.
He needs to improve and improve a lot IMO.

In any event...I hope you dont mind if I step out of this conversation because there already is a thread defending Jesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad