Confirmed Trade: [VGK/WSH] Chandler Stephenson for 2021 5th round pick

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Really? Beagle played 10 years with the Capitals and 556 games including 85 playoff games. You only have ONE SEASON of memories out of Beags?
Of course you’re right. No, no I’ll always remember Beagle’s entire career fondly but like Oshie said of his father; “he forgets things sometimes but I think he’ll remember this.” That’s how I’ll always think of Oshie and those moments are HOW I’ll ALWAYS remember Beagle as well. A guy who was finally rewarded for all he gave the Caps.

Don’t forget that Beagle was the first Triple (?) Trophy winner and ALL with the Caps organization. No, indeed, I’ll always have time for Jay Beagle.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I liked Stephenson, but his inability to put the puck in to the net when he has grade a chances was a bit annoying :p

Good luck in Vegas though! :>

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Caps seem to be selling really low on Stephenson....always liked his wheels....but a fifth rounder doesn't seem like much of a return. Do the Capitals have salary cap problems, or are they clearing salary to make another move?

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Caps seem to be selling really low on Stephenson....always liked his wheels....but a fifth rounder doesn't seem like much of a return. Do the Capitals have salary cap problems, or are they clearing salary to make another move?

Clearing salary to dress their actual roster. Several players returning from IR.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Caps just bleed off useful players. Burakovsky, Niskanen, Connolly, Stephenson (?)

And the Caps are still doing well. They need to seriously up the ante with what comes back in trades though. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Slashers98

d99gr81

Dec 30, 2006
Yeah Stephenson was a good warrior, did what was asked of him, brings a nice speed element but totally lacks finish, like a dramatically less-skilled Marcus Johansson. He did his time with the Caps and I thank him for helping carry the load to the title but ultimately he’s replaceable and the Caps have to find CapSpace where they can. I similarly miss DSP but he was a much greater contributor when it mattered.

DSP ate his way off the roster

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The Caps just bleed off useful players. Burakovsky, Niskanen, Connolly, Stephenson (?)

And the Caps are still doing well. They need to seriously up the ante with what comes back in trades though. :sarcasm:

Gudas was an underrated get and helps our defense more than Niskanen would by adding a meat grinder element to it, Burakovsky got about the most he could given that he was stuck as a mid 20 point player for 2 years and had a 3.25 mil QA.

Stephenson was a victim of the numbers game and the Caps needing to relieve the pressure on the roster from all the injury swaps and being pennies under the cap. Surprised no other team beat a 5th rounder for him. He's Marco Sturm after the latter lost most of his finish but still had speed and responsibility in his game. A useful player who can even fill in as a 2LW if given the role to stretch the ice and cover defensively for skilled players. Would have much rather had him than Hagelin going forward

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I guess this is the first time this guy has been traded and I could be wrong but I don’t think the Caps ever thought of giving him Top 6 minutes. He has a 4 game point streak and as long as they keep playing him with these line mates he’s probably going to continue putting up points.

So what is Vegas’ plan here? Is Stephenson just a speedy, puck-retrieving, fill in that will go back to the 4th-line once some guys return or does McPhee think he snagged another Karlsson/Haula type that can be more than he has shown so far?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess this is the first time this guy has been traded and I could be wrong but I don’t think the Caps ever thought of giving him Top 6 minutes. He has a 4 game point streak and as long as they keep playing him with these line mates he’s probably going to continue putting up points.

So what is Vegas’ plan here? Is Stephenson just a speedy, puck-retrieving, fill in that will go back to the 4th-line once some guys return or does McPhee think he snagged another Karlsson/Haula type that can be more than he has shown so far?

Stephenson played in the top six occasionally in the past for the Capitals dating back to the 2018 season and playoffs. His role was to be the defensively responsible forward playing with two scorers. He is not a top six player and is likely just on a hot streak. He no doubt has wheels but he's been the worst offensive forward on the Caps roster for the better part of two years and there's a reason he was let go over a guy like Travis Boyd.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Brett Connelly is the one the Caps should have kept.

Brett Connolly left because he wanted a top-6 role he was never going to get in Washington. Should the Capitals have dropped one of Ovechkin, Wilson, Vrana or Oshie to keep him? No.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Who should have Stephenson bumped from their current top six, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, Vrana or Wilson? Honeymoons in Vegas always have an ending.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I wouldn't compare him to Haula just yet and certainly not to Karlsson.
The fact that he has at least another year after this will be great, as slow Stastny can be moved and he and Roy can fill in at 3C and 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad