Confirmed Trade: [VGK/SJS] Tomas Hertl (17.05% retained), 2025 and 2027 3rd round picks for David Edstrom, 2025 1st round pick

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Pretty confident that Vegas knows rule changes are coming to prevent this kind of abuse moving forward.

So they figured might as well milk it all they can before those rule changes happen.

They already pissed off everyone, why stop now?
I mean there are risks with going with an all glass team because you can hope they are all generally healthy enough in the playoffs

But the risk is they could all be hurt too

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I know it's not Vegas´ fault but man, they need to do something about this shit. I know that NHL has nothing to with reality parity anymore, but still. This is just ridiculous.

And I'm not "salty" because "my team" can't do this, it's just f***ing phony.

Last edited:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’m joking. So you think they shouldn’t have made the deal, considering Hertl had a NMC, etc? All of those players are much lower priority to move than Hertl was due to contract
You’re right it’s probably not a big deal just odd

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I dont see how any team will be able to compete with Vegas this year.

Eichel
Hertl
Stephenson
Karlsson
Roy

How is this fair? Stephenson may play LW but pretty sure Roy moves to wing. But still unfair depth down the middle.

Reactions: Devonator

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
1709961093992.png

• Haha
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I just said the league and the PA won’t want that. Sitting a fun star player is bad business, and even if the league wanted teams sitting multiple paid support guys instead (I doubt) the PA would certainly fight that

Ultimately the league makes sure the guys on LTIR are injured, but can’t stop them from coming back before they’re 100% (they’re not “miraculously healthy”. They’re most likely just not full recovered) as that’s NHL tradition to play hurt

Perks of being super well run teams
You make good points concerning the difficulties of resolving the issue, but why should the playoffs be any different from the regular season? (I know, I know, they are.) If a guy gets hurt during the regular season and goes on LTIR, then the team calls a replacement up from the minors. But when the first guy comes off LTIR the replacement player goes back down. Why? Why not just let him stay and be over the cap, like in the playoffs?

Or, alternatively, a guy gets hurt during the regular and goes on LTIR. So the team makes a trade for his replacement. Then when the guy comes back from LTIR why not just keep both, like in the playoffs? Why have one set of rules for the regular season and another set for for the playoffs?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Really like this deal for VGK.

Not sure what San Jose was thinking resigning him and then retaining on him 2 years later... It makes 0 sense.

Reactions: Devonator

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Really like this deal for VGK.

Not sure what San Jose was thinking resigning him and then retaining on him 2 years later... It makes 0 sense.
Yes, it made no sense. The ownership hadn't accepted the Sharks demise and we were in a purgatory with GM Doug Wilson kind of but not fully out of the office for health reasons.

We should have traded Hertl then. At least Grier had the stones to do what should have been done back then.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Pretty confident that Vegas knows rule changes are coming to prevent this kind of abuse moving forward.

So they figured might as well milk it all they can before those rule changes happen.

They already pissed off everyone, why stop now?
Very hard to control LTIR.
I'd rather the league just says, the cap doesn't apply from trade deadline day, until opening day of next season. Then everyone can load up to chase a cup.

The point of cap is to tie salary to revenue, which is accomplished for the most part at the start of the season, with the odd exception of late contracts like Kane.
So once that is all done you have your total salary to revenue link, then it is just moving around.

If you got rid of cap at deadline you could open up all sorts of teams making huge trades, but would still be limited to be cap compliant by puck drop the next year. You might have to keep the cap floor as well. If you didnt want things to get too out of hand you could just increase cap at deadline.

Teams who weren't doing well could load up on picks to try and close the gap quicker.

One way to remove the LTIR 'advantage' and make for more activity around the league.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
They could maybe fight it, but it’s still a very feasible fix
Very unrealistic. Bad for players and bad for business. More talented players playing = better hockey. The salary cap wasn’t intended primarily for parity. That was just the PR spin for fans

In any case there is very much parity all the same and LTIR doesn’t change that. Same rule for every team. The biggest obstacles stopping teams from doing this same thing as Vegas, Tampa and Blackhawks (and a bunch who didn’t win the cup):

They aren’t good enough to lose their stars during the regular season. Oh well.

And or they don’t have the assets to flip and add to their team. Oh well.

Their GM would at some point have to move a key player to shake things up and most teams just don’t have the guts to keep moving big names and taking risks like Vegas. Toronto will probably have the same core 10 years from now because “you don’t move on from good players, you don’t know what you’ll get” mentality lol.

Well managed teams create more options for themselves.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I dont see how any team will be able to compete with Vegas this year.

Eichel
Hertl
Stephenson
Karlsson
Roy

How is this fair? Stephenson may play LW but pretty sure Roy moves to wing. But still unfair depth down the middle.
It's good, but I don't think it's better than Pettersson, Miller, Lindholm, Blueger or McDavid, Draisaitl and whoever.

• Haha
Reactions: geebster and 1989

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The Knights have 4 different looks that can hold the C position equivalent to at least a top #2 in short bursts across 4 lines at the very least. If the wings can hold the quality; it vibes remarkably well with the top-6 defense when healthy.

Far from invincible. Further from lethal.

“Yo dawg….I heard you liked something called load management…..”

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Vegas definitely the biggest threat to them.
I wouldn't mind getting it over with first round tho , if they don't have a hot goalie it's gonna be fine either way for the Oilers imo. I just think this is the year of McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad