Confirmed Trade: [VGK/SJS] Tomas Hertl (17.05% retained), 2025 and 2027 3rd round picks for David Edstrom, 2025 1st round pick

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Yes, it does make sense that you can't explain it since he IS NOT A CENTRE.
I think the point he’s trying to make is the reason the Knights Cs are considered good is because of JM’s sniping.

Not only did he not understand the post he was responding to, he also doesn’t realize that JM is not the best sniper on Vegas.

If Eichel shot the puck as much as JM he would pot 50 every year.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
If you read through this thread you’ll see an almost unanimous chant of approval for Grier’s work through the first part.

Then, when it was realized that the 3rds were going to Vegas, Grier all of a sudden forget his lube before meeting McCrimmon.

I’m sure if SJ retained 34% instead of 17% they could have kept those picks or even had some coming back the other way.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yes, this deal is devastating for us Sharks fans from an emotional perspective. And yes, when you look at Vegas' 2-3 contention window based on the age of the roster and cap situation, the Hertl addition looks great so the return leads to a "LOLGrier" response. However...

1) Hertl wanted out and has a full NMC, ie he controls where he goes, and clearly Vegas is a perfect fit for him with that contention window because....
2) Hertl is a 30-year-old great 2-way 2C right now but has undergone at least 4 knee surgeries including two ACL repairs and one that has him IR'd now. If his contract had only 2 more years left on it, this return would be terrible. Those last 3-4 years are going to look a lot worse when he is 33-36 years old. Maybe he'll age like Pavelski (for his sake, I hope so), but given his career so far and the style he plays, I have a hard time seeing it.
3) Retention: this deal was never going to get done without retention given point #2 and those looming last 3-4 years of the deal. Retaining only 8M out of 48M left on his contract is pretty damn good (just like Grier retained only 6M out of the 46M left on Karlsson's deal).
4) Given the NMC, Hertl's age and injury history, and negative value of the contract, getting an unprotected 1st (shit happens during any season, you never know...) and a 1st round prospect projecting to be a middle-6 center is pretty solid
5) Third round picks: this part is weird but honestly who cares? The odds of a 3rd round pick making the NHL is pretty low. The Sharks got one back in the Duclair trade already, and I bet they can get 1-2 back at next year's TDL as well. Not a deal-breaker at all imo
6) Ultimately it helps the Sharks bottom out this year and next year, which is good for their rebuild...gotta hope they can get Macklin Celebrini at the end of this year
7) Yes, it's devastating for us Sharks fans to see him go to Vegas, but seeing him sulk here for another 2-3 years of losing while becoming a negative asset would have been much worse. I wish him the best of luck in Vegas (ugh).
8) Just like with the Pens/Devils deals for Meier and Karlsson, Grier is getting mocked now but long-term, I suspect this deal won't look all that bad. There's no way to win these types of deals in the short run, but given the state of the organization, I think he did just fine with what he had to work with in the salary cap era.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

This guy needs some Risperidone...yelling about 3rd round picks, calling Hertl a superstar? He "hates Vegas with every fiber of his being"? Wait until he finds out that Hertl picked the Golden Knights and wants to play there. Good lord man, get a grip...lmao

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
If anyone reads this thread to gauge whether the Sharks got robbed in this trade, you'd think Grier would be fired the next day. But as much as I love Hertl, I would have driven him to the airport.

He has a NMC which handicaps that Sharks. This is one of the biggest mistakes Grier trying to get rid of from previous management.

He has some serious knee injuries.

His contract is long, into his 30's, particularly for his playing style and injuries history. Hertl will have negative trade value like Couture is right now.

Trading him now eliminates any risk of putting the tanking at risk for the top picks.

Sharks salary cap is useless in a rebuild. Getting a 1st rounder and 1st round prospect is making use of that cap space.

I like this trade and glad it happened. People on here might claim otherwise. People are also angry Vegas was able to load it up.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I dont see how any team will be able to compete with Vegas this year.

Eichel
Hertl
Stephenson
Karlsson
Roy

How is this fair? Stephenson may play LW but pretty sure Roy moves to wing. But still unfair depth down the middle.

Compare that to:
William Karlsson
Erik Haula
Cody Eakin
Pierre E. Bellmare

Still cannot believe those Cs carried a team all the way to the Cup Final.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The more I think about it the more I really like it for SJ & don't like it as much for Vegas

SJ never should have signed that contract at that point, to get off it & upgrade a pair of 3rds to a pair of 1sts is pretty good work, even with the long-term retention. (1.4 isn't a ton)

For Vegas this move should make them alot more dangerous in the coming playoffs. You do wonder a bit how quick he'll adjust coming in off the injury, but I think Hertl can still be a really good player there for the short-medium term.

The bad part is taking on that contract given his age - 6 more years after this one & has already had a significant injury history. But also now going into next season they're left with 8.8M to sign; Marchessault, Stephenson, Hanifin, Martinez, Carrier, Amadio, Mantha. Hanifin or Marchessault themselves could make a case for 7-8M.

Its a curious pickup to get a guy with that term, not the type of long-term risk Vegas has usually gone for (Stone & Eichel were younger, Pacioretty shorter term, Petro higher caliber player+premium position).

Reactions: coooldude

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The more I think about it the more I really like it for SJ & don't like it as much for Vegas

SJ never should have signed that contract at that point, to get off it & upgrade a pair of 3rds to a pair of 1sts is pretty good work, even with the long-term retention. (1.4 isn't a ton)

For Vegas this move should make them alot more dangerous in the coming playoffs. You do wonder a bit how quick he'll adjust coming in off the injury, but I think Hertl can still be a really good player there for the short-medium term.

The bad part is taking on that contract given his age - 6 more years after this one & has already had a significant injury history. But also now going into next season they're left with 8.8M to sign; Marchessault, Stephenson, Hanifin, Martinez, Carrier, Amadio, Mantha. Hanifin or Marchessault themselves could make a case for 7-8M.

Its a curious pickup to get a guy with that term, not the type of long-term risk Vegas has usually gone for (Stone & Eichel were younger, Pacioretty shorter term, Petro higher caliber player+premium position).
I am guessing Vegas will just trade him to a team he has not accepted a trade to during the offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: lionsDen

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Care to elaborate?

Plays around 20 minutes a game
Faceoff percentage around 52 to 53%
.8 ppg for awhile now

Just curious who were these star centres carrying him the last few years on wing?
The Sharks were terrible when he played center. In the years before the Sharks clif hanger, Up until 21-22, he had Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski as center. Look at his numbers after that, and also look at the Sharks numbers.....they were losers.......

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Sharks were terrible when he played center. In the years before the Sharks clif hanger, Up until 21-22, he had Thornton, Couture, and Pavelski as center. Look at his numbers after that, and also look at the Sharks numbers.....they were losers.......
The sharks weren't terrible because he was playing C.

But I am curious to see how LV deploys him..

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yes, this deal is devastating for us Sharks fans from an emotional perspective. And yes, when you look at Vegas' 2-3 contention window based on the age of the roster and cap situation, the Hertl addition looks great so the return leads to a "LOLGrier" response. However...

1) Hertl wanted out and has a full NMC, ie he controls where he goes, and clearly Vegas is a perfect fit for him with that contention window because....
2) Hertl is a 30-year-old great 2-way 2C right now but has undergone at least 4 knee surgeries including two ACL repairs and one that has him IR'd now. If his contract had only 2 more years left on it, this return would be terrible. Those last 3-4 years are going to look a lot worse when he is 33-36 years old. Maybe he'll age like Pavelski (for his sake, I hope so), but given his career so far and the style he plays, I have a hard time seeing it.
3) Retention: this deal was never going to get done without retention given point #2 and those looming last 3-4 years of the deal. Retaining only 8M out of 48M left on his contract is pretty damn good (just like Grier retained only 6M out of the 46M left on Karlsson's deal).
4) Given the NMC, Hertl's age and injury history, and negative value of the contract, getting an unprotected 1st (shit happens during any season, you never know...) and a 1st round prospect projecting to be a middle-6 center is pretty solid
5) Third round picks: this part is weird but honestly who cares? The odds of a 3rd round pick making the NHL is pretty low. The Sharks got one back in the Duclair trade already, and I bet they can get 1-2 back at next year's TDL as well. Not a deal-breaker at all imo
6) Ultimately it helps the Sharks bottom out this year and next year, which is good for their rebuild...gotta hope they can get Macklin Celebrini at the end of this year
7) Yes, it's devastating for us Sharks fans to see him go to Vegas, but seeing him sulk here for another 2-3 years of losing while becoming a negative asset would have been much worse. I wish him the best of luck in Vegas (ugh).
8) Just like with the Pens/Devils deals for Meier and Karlsson, Grier is getting mocked now but long-term, I suspect this deal won't look all that bad. There's no way to win these types of deals in the short run, but given the state of the organization, I think he did just fine with what he had to work with in the salary cap era.
Agreed.

Its clear the knights only wanted to give up a 2nd round value but the sharks wanted a 1st. The middle ground is a 1st for two 3rds.

Reactions: DG93

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
This guy needs some Risperidone...yelling about 3rd round picks, calling Hertl a superstar? He "hates Vegas with every fiber of his being"? Wait until he finds out that Hertl picked the Golden Knights and wants to play there. Good lord man, get a grip...lmao

You've never seen utree before? His schtick is being over the top in these types of videos.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Dude, I think you're digging deeper and deeper on this one. Hertl is not a bad center. He's not a top 10 center in the league, but on the Knights as a 2C or 3C he will be extremely strong.

I'm not sure what the argument for him being a terrible center is. A center scoring at a .8PPG rate and winning 55% of faceoffs is usually regarded as pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad