Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Shea Theodore extension with Vegas (7 years, $5.2M AAV)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dumbest thing heard today

Kypreos: "I think Theodore sold himself short, he should've held out for way more!"

Shannon: "It's not that bad Nick, the contract expires when he's 29 and he'll still have productive years left, and be a UFA!

Kypreos: Well sure, but what if he doesn't live up to the contract?

:confused:

so advocate for more dollars, but basically who cares if it goes bad, as long as the player still get's his coin!

If I we're Shannon, I would have asked him, "so if he doesn't live up to the contract, then does he owe Vegas money? Sometimes I think Kypper has taken too many shots to the head.

either way a good contract for Theodore and what he brings, i don't believe he's under nor overpaid

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As a Wings fan I must point out that this is the type of contract that led to all the "Fire Ken Holland" comments you see all over the internet. Signing a young and promising (but unproven) talent to a long term medium level contract.

If Shea lives up to his potential (or at least stays consistent) then this deal makes McPhee look like a genius. If he stagnates then he makes McPhee look like Ken Holland (Helm, Tartar, Franzen et al).

That's the GM's gamble in the Cap-Era NHL -- if you sign a young core to contracts like this and they all live up to their hype, you get a dynasty, if they don't then you get Dead Wings 2.0 and empty seats in your new billion dollar stadium.

Hoping for the best though. #GoKnights!

It's paying off already for Marchessault. Karlsson will get a chance to prove he's worth big $$$.

With the Schmidt situation that's a big uncertainty, and it's not like they can have serious negotiations with him at this point. He might be eyeing free agency when his suspension is over, and replacing him (assuming they're able to) would cost big money. Best to have at least one key defenseman locked up past 2022-23, when Hague and Brannstrom are RFAs.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Hasn't even played a full season yet and he gets 7 years @ $5.2 million per year. How many times has a long term contract and good amount of money been given out, where the player has only shown a small sample size only to not live up to the contract?(That's a rhetorical question)

Reactions: connormcmuffin

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Gardiner (24, #17): 173gms, ES 17:52 (C+ qoc), .81p60, .54p160, 48.2cf% (+3.4), 43.8xgf% (-2.4) / PP 2:06, 3.47p60, 2.31p160 / PK 1:04
Theodore (23, #26): 153gms, ES 15:37 (C+ qoc), .95p60, .80p160, 51.1cf% (-1.0), 49.4xgf% (-4.1) / PP 2:28, 3.00p60, 1.42p160 / PK 0:37

Jake $4.05m x 5yrs

Shea $5.20m x 7yrs
I agree with this post, those are indeed the stats for those two specific players.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
No leverage at all and he gets over $5M per year. Am I the only one who thinks that Vegas overpaid? That money is in the same tier as Lindholm/Rielly/Jones etc. Admittedly it bought more UFA years but Theodore isn’t half the Dman those guys are.

I agree that Vegas overpaid, and certainly did so because of the lengthy term and the relative cheapness of it over 7 years. And also because they beleive in the player, and can now play him like they clearly believe which will be good for his development if he can actually deleiver.

It's a medium size bet on both sides. Every GM has the ability to make a few bets of this size this on their roster.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Vegas just made signing the Provorav's and Sergachev's of the world extremely difficult

Not really. Because only 1 GM made this deal, and he cannot repeat it again for his team for another 7 years. And the Flyers and Lightning have cap and roster situations pretty unique to their own teams...

Theodore's agent found the soft $$ waiting to be spent and convinced Vegas he would earn it. Vegas cannot repeat this gamble for a while now...in fact, Karlsson is clearly on notice!!

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s a good deal overall, he’s already a solid second pair option which 5M is more than fair. He has room to grow, Vegas will have a cheap defence core for the next 3-4 years with Theodore, Miller, and McNabb locked up for 11.6 total. Add on Brannstrom and Hauge will three years of ELC they are sitting pretty in the contract situation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is on a 39 pt pace and was a monster in the play offs. Players not on ELC in the 40 pt range are Ristolainen, Leddy, Muzzin, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, and Byfuglien.

Ristolainen currently holds a cap hit of 5.4m and was 7.397% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Leddy currently holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 7.703% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Muzzin currently holds a cap hit of 4m. and was 5.602% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Ekman-Larsson holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 8.553% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Petry holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 7.703% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Byfuglien holds a cap hit of 7.6m and was 10.41% of the teams cap when he signed it.

Theodore's cap hit is 6.54% of the teams cap this year. The only non ELC player in his point range with a smaller cap hit % wise is Muzzin. How is he over paid? Maybe its just you have a very flawed and out dated understanding of the cap and how it relates to players.

He hasn’t even played a full season as a 2nd pairing guy yet, that’s why he’s overpaid....

I can understand the optimism behind the player, but this contract is a huge investment based on relatively speaking a fairly minuscule sample size of games

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
22 years old is an age in which many defensemen haven't quite ripened in terms of maximum production and start pulling off seasons of 45+ points, which command a premium price. This is an excellent risk to take because Theodore has the potential to be a 50-point defenseman yet be paid a bargain price for such production until he is 29.

Vegas will avoid a Subban situation in which they would have to pay through the nose if Theodore explodes next season at 23 years of age in a manner similar to Hedman or Subban.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think GM said it best... they have the cap space where if this is an overpay in the next year or so it's not a big deal, and long term this will be a very good to great contract.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Very risky contract to say the least, but there’s a very good chance this turns out fantastic for Vegas.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wise contract decision by VGK.. Theo is a deadly young dman.. They would be paying huge in a couple years if they would have signed him to a bridge deal.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think GM said it best... they have the cap space where if this is an overpay in the next year or so it's not a big deal, and long term this will be a very good to great contract.
how can you say that when the guy has only 60 games as a top 4 regular and only played ~20ATOI? Its certainly not bad but its hardly a concrete sample size

Plus the entire Vegas team minus Marchasseault and Fleury could have overachieved for all we know. They all were never starting regulars before last year, so any Vegas player has extra risk right now IMO as well

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Good deal for both sides. He still needs to step up His game to be worth that price tag but at 22 years old I think he’s on his way to becoming a top pair defenseman. Looks like a lot now but could be a steal as soon as next offseason.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
First of all, the ducks have, like, the deepest defense core and young prospects in the league. They are constantly finding good young defensemen. Lindholm, Fowler and Manson are all great players.

Theodore was also never considered lower than Larsson or Mahura. Like ever. He also may very well have been more valued than Vatanen if Anaheim hadn't been in win now mode, either as a trade chip or player for them.

Beyond that there was debate between Theodore and Montour within the organization itself and even reports out of the expansion draft that Anaheim offered Vegas their pick of Theodore/Montour in order to take Stoner and not take the older, more developed Vatanen.
Very true regarding Ducks young d talent. I will say Montour and Larsson were certainly considered better prospects than Theodore at the time he left the Ducks. Montour was coming off of a breakout playoff performance. Larsson doesnt seem to be progressing the way we would like but at the time Larsson was a top prospect for us. At the time we lost Theo Mahura wasnt as highly regarded so I will give you that one.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
how can you say that when the guy has only 60 games as a top 4 regular and only played ~20ATOI? Its certainly not bad but its hardly a concrete sample size

Plus the entire Vegas team minus Marchasseault and Fleury could have overachieved for all we know. They all were never starting regulars before last year, so any Vegas player has extra risk right now IMO as well

It's called inflation. All it takes is for him to be a 40 pt defensemen and this becomes a good contract. If he does more than that, this just gets better and better. Go look at Ellis's contract - a very good blueliner, but still someone who's never scored 40 points yet, and he just received a 8x6.25m contract. It's not going to take all that much for Theodore to make this contract look very good down the line. It might take a few years, but 4-5 years from now, this will almost certainly look amazing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Very true regarding Ducks young d talent. I will say Montour and Larsson were certainly considered better prospects than Theodore at the time he left the Ducks. Montour was coming off of a breakout playoff performance. Larsson doesnt seem to be progressing the way we would like but at the time Larsson was a top prospect for us. At the time we lost Theo Mahura wasnt as highly regarded so I will give you that one.

Not quite how I remember it and I'd like to think I remember it well. Theodore was absolutely above Larsson. The only discrepancy was that people were sour about Theo's defensive play in the 17 playoffs. But at the time of the trade, Theo and Montour were pretty much the guys with Montour riding the hype for the lead at that time.

As it stands, Montour is the better top speed skater and has a better shot while Theodore is the better point quarterback, overall passer, and puck possessor. Both are still pretty risky business in their own zone.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm glad fo Shea. He's gonna be worth the contract and I doubt another team would have offered him more.
However Vegas benched you numerous times throughout last season.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
If Xenophobic Overloard MCPHEE hadn’t been so unfair, wrong, and evil in his dealings with poor, mistreated, Saint Shipochyov, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Now he has to overpay for everyone cause EVIL MCPHEE.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm glad fo Shea. He's gonna be worth the contract and I doubt another team would have offered him more.
However Vegas benched you numerous times throughout the last two seasons.
First of all, huh?

Second of all, once the kid got the call up from the AHL when the roster surplus was sorted out, he was always in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad