Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] Shea Theodore extension with Vegas (7 years, $5.2M AAV)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That wouldn’t be hard given how in Anaheim he barely knew where the defensive zone was. I didn’t see all 82 games but I did watch a bit of Vegas last year and he’s a guy who still doesn’t compete hard enough when the pucks not on his stick. Loads of offensive talent but a third pair guy at best in his own end.
He was inconsistent, sure, but he had some nights where he was terrific in his own zone. So the ability and potential is still there, he just needs to keep working at it.

Reactions: derriko

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Are you comparing Connor McDavid to a player who started last season in the AHL?
Dont think you understand... He didnt compare him to Mcdavid.

He started in the AHL because he didnt need to clear waivers and everyone else had to. He was way to good for the AHL and had 11 points in 8 games there to start the season.

If people actually watched Vegas last year you would know Theodore can skate, move the puck, good offensive skills and was a very solid 20+ minutes twoway defensemen for them. 29 points in 61 games for Vegas, 10 points in 20 playoff games.
Why are people surprised? Its only one percent more of the cap than Severson signed for one year ago and Severson only got 6 years. I would much rather have Theodore than Severson...
Im a NYR fan and would rather have Theodore than Skjei aswell who signed a similar contract but for 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko and Pure

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I like Theodore's upside, but this feels like a real gamble. Bridge might have been the better way to go.

Which makes it surprising that the player wanted the bridge and the team wanted term.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s a good player, but this isn’t a great contract. It’s not a disaster mind you, but the player got both term and money.

The positive side is that even if he doesn’t quite live up to the contract, he’d only be overpaid by maybe $1-2 million. But folks got to stop overrating D men, just because a guys above average doesn’t mean every contract they sign is a steal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No leverage at all and he gets over $5M per year. Am I the only one who thinks that Vegas overpaid? That money is in the same tier as Lindholm/Rielly/Jones etc. Admittedly it bought more UFA years but Theodore isn’t half the Dman those guys are.

Cap inflation. You can't compare this deal to those that were signed 2-3 years ago.
Also, those guys weren't nearly as proven as they are now when they signed those deals, Jones and Rielly in particular.

The Skjei deal set the market for Theodore and I like Theodore a good deal more than Skjei so this is a good deal all things considered.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Rielly signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.002% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Jones signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.563% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Lindholm signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.289% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Rielly had 29 pts the year he signed his to Theodore's 29 pts.

Jones had 27 points to Theodore's 29 pts.

Lindholm had 34 pts to Theodore's 29 pts

They are not the same contracts as Theodores is for less % of the cap as well as taking more UFA years. Saying he is half the defender they are is insanely ignorant. Saying they are better is fact but the gap isn't that big. This is a really solid deal for Vegas as Theodore is playing top 2 minutes for them and has been a stud. I believe your views on the cap and how it relates to players is extremely out dated and flawed.
Please stop using reason on this site. Only off the cuff remarks accepted!! :sarcasm:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He’s a good player, but this isn’t a great contract. It’s not a disaster mind you, but the player got both term and money.

The positive side is that even if he doesn’t quite live up to the contract, he’d only be overpaid by maybe $1-2 million. But folks got to stop overrating D men, just because a guys above average doesn’t mean every contract they sign is a steal.

He is on a 39 pt pace and was a monster in the play offs. Players not on ELC in the 40 pt range are Ristolainen, Leddy, Muzzin, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, and Byfuglien.

Ristolainen currently holds a cap hit of 5.4m and was 7.397% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Leddy currently holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 7.703% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Muzzin currently holds a cap hit of 4m. and was 5.602% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Ekman-Larsson holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 8.553% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Petry holds a cap hit of 5.5m and was 7.703% of the teams cap when he signed it.
Byfuglien holds a cap hit of 7.6m and was 10.41% of the teams cap when he signed it.

Theodore's cap hit is 6.54% of the teams cap this year. The only non ELC player in his point range with a smaller cap hit % wise is Muzzin. How is he over paid? Maybe its just you have a very flawed and out dated understanding of the cap and how it relates to players.

Reactions: sabresfan65

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Schmidt who is the better player IMO, is probably salivating at what he'll be getting next year.

Upcoming UFA with $2.2AAV and Teddy getting 5.2??

Not saying it's a bad deal, but that's a lot of faith in potential after one good year.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Think this is a risky signing, somewhat similar to the Matheson one. On one hand, if he progresses great this becomes a Josi/Klingberg type of steal. On other hand, if he continues being a bit of an adventure in his own end and can't correct his sketchy defensive play and becomes more of a sheltered PPQB, it will be too rich.

I like the upside though and even if he becomes "only" a Gardiner type of player (big defensive lapses here and there but overall a vastly positive player), that would be a very good result too.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Rielly signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.002% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Jones signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.563% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Lindholm signed his deal 2 years ago. The cap was 71.4m then and is now 79.5m. That was 7.289% of the teams hit to Theodore's 6.54%

Rielly had 29 pts the year he signed his to Theodore's 29 pts.

Jones had 27 points to Theodore's 29 pts.

Lindholm had 34 pts to Theodore's 29 pts

They are not the same contracts as Theodores is for less % of the cap as well as taking more UFA years. Saying he is half the defender they are is insanely ignorant. Saying they are better is fact but the gap isn't that big. This is a really solid deal for Vegas as Theodore is playing top 2 minutes for them and has been a stud. I believe your views on the cap and how it relates to players is extremely out dated and flawed.
Lindholm is a defensive defensemen and Theo is an offensive defensemen that plays the pp and Londholm still had more points. I like Theo but more as a project that could one day become a 2nd pairing d like he started to show last year. Players like that dont get paid anywhere near a 1d or a kid with 1d potential. When the Ducks let him go he was like the 8th most valuable defensemen or d prospect in the system behind Lindholm, Fowler Manson, Montour, Larsson, Mahura, Vatanen. Seems to me a $4m aav deal or less would make more sense but he probably had leverage because Vegas didnt have a ton of options. Hopefully for them he grows into a $5m player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad