Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Vegas is sensually traded a 1st, two 2nds a 3rd and Suzuki for Patches... that’s a lot of picks/prospects to give away for a good/not great player, especially for a expansion team with little cupboards

So you're suggesting that there is a pleasurable component to all this. Interesting take. :sarcasm:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Vegas needed another sniper because imo Karlsson will regress. Good trade.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I'm still not sure if we're talking about absolute or relative values here. Karlsson package has easily more absolute value but relative to Patches and EK level of play, the Patches package is surely better.
That’s because Pacioretty agreed to a 4 year deal extension, so they get him for 5 years, Karlsson said that he will be testing free agency, so you can count on him doing that, they only get him for 1 season unless they throw 13 million x 8 years at him. They do have the advantage of 8 years over other team’s 7 year deals.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That’s because Pacioretty agreed to a 4 year deal extension, so they get him for 5 years, Karlsson said that he will be testing free agency, so you can count on him doing that, they only get him for 1 season unless they throw 13 million x 8 years at him. They do have the advantage of 8 years over other team’s 7 year deals.

Misinformation, again.

Karlsson said he was open to an extention but wanted to see where ge ended up and if he liked the team/city. He never said he’s going straight to FA

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Misinformation, again.

Karlsson said he was open to an extention but wanted to see where ge ended up and if he liked the team/city. He never said he’s going straight to FA

If EK doesn't go to FA, he's got the stupidest agent in the history of agents. He's not saying it because it's damn obvious. Next offseason, he should have 32 teams looking to purchase his services. Because of this modern boner for rebuilding, he'll probably have about 20 looking to line it up.

He's an absolute gamebreaking D-man. He's not quite Nick Lidstrom, but he's the closest thing the league's got right about now.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I see Suzuki as a Henrik Zetterberg type player. Plays all three zones. He's a dangler (which means little in junior) but he's also got great vision and hockey sense. Nick may not be "fast" like Henrik but he plays in traffic and having that creative ability is paramount for his success when he moves up.
Junior league danglers don't have much success at the NHL level if they don't have more to his game.
I also like his wrist shot, looks accurate and opportunistic.
Over the next couple of years Nick will put on weight and get some strength , this will help the game he plays.
I see the the Crosby mohawks in some of his moves he's performed , that means he has spent a lot of time working on his edges, this will help him at the next level also.
Overall a terrific pickup by the Habs , I'm shocked they got this much back for Patch.
As far as pacioretty goes he will have a fair amount of success in Vegas. What I don't like about his game is I don't feel it translates to success in the playoffs. When the games really tighten up and time and space are taken away rapidly I feel Patch declines.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Honestly, it's not a great return but it's not bad. I mean Karlsson is the best defenseman on the planet but he is an upcoming UF....
*whisper whisper*

Wait, what? This is the return for Patches? Wow. Nicely done, Montreal.
So what did Ottawa get for EK?

*whisper whisper*

*silence*

WHAT?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Domenic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The return the Habs got was best case.

- Suzuki is worth more than a 1st. His draft plus 1 year was solid and he is trending in the right direction
- Tatar is worth more than what most are willing to admit. He just had a rough go with the Knights but there is still a lot to like.
- 2019 2nd (Blue Jackets pick). Were looking at a top 5o pick (+/-)

The return the Sens got was worse case.

Sens got quantity in return and a few conditional picks. At this stage, Norris is the best piece. Tierney is also a good piece but hard to predict how good he will be. He had a good year last year and will get more opportunity playing on the Sens but with less talent. Sens also get a 2020 1st and that is the wild card cause we don't know if Karlsson will be back or not. It's not going to be a 2019 1st cause the Sharks will be making the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Karlsson did not say that he will be testing free agency, cut it out with the fake news!

Reactions: Grabner

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Tatar may fetch a mid 1st at the deadline, but if he gets hurts?? Suzuki's stats didn't pop his 3rd year of jr, but then again I didn't watch the games. Vegas 2nd wouldn't be very valuable to me. I like Patches, so I guess I like Vegas look on this. Def not a super uneven deal tho.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Oh come on, you think the difference between Suzuki and Norris makes up for the difference between Tatar and Tierney, Balcers, 2020 1st, and the conditional picks? Don’t be silly.

Needs to be seen what happens.

Too early to really tell, but I think people like the habs return more because Suzuki is a really good/viewed as a higher end prospect than Norris.

For all we know 10 years from now when we look back the 2nd rounder Montreal got ends up being the best piece. Or maybe Karlsson extends and the 2nd Ottawa gets ends up being the best.

Suzuki has the best odds of being something in the NHL (aside from the established ), but Ottawa has a lot more kicks at the can to get something.

My personal opinion is Ottawa would have gotten a really good piece and a 1st and conditional picks. Not 4 varying pieces + conditional

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You don't know your hockey if you said that.

Tatar is a pretty good player. Don't underrated him. 20-25 goal scorer, 45-55 points. He can do that. Suzuki is a A prospect and a 2nd round pick 2019, we never know for A GUY WHO DON'T GONNA RESIGN WITH THE HABS.
No way will Tatar provide that kind of offense especially for Habs. He has a big salary also. Suzuki maybe decent.
I don't see the value here. Should have just waited until trade deadline.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
No way will Tatar provide that kind of offense especially for Habs. He has a big salary also. Suzuki maybe decent.
I don't see the value here. Should have just waited until trade deadline.

I wouldn't be show sure, Detroit's offense sucked last year and he still produced for them. He's looking good so far in training camp too, he could definitely score 20-25 goals this year with the amount of opportunity he'll get

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Tatar may fetch a mid 1st at the deadline, but if he gets hurts?? Suzuki's stats didn't pop his 3rd year of jr, but then again I didn't watch the games. Vegas 2nd wouldn't be very valuable to me. I like Patches, so I guess I like Vegas look on this. Def not a super uneven deal tho.
If Tatar gets hurt, you trade him the year after since he is signed for 2 more years... Suzuki got 31 more pts than the second best scorer on a less talended team than the year before...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling has 3C potential, every team has at least one of these guys.

That is BS. Poehling definitely has #2C potential. A safe middle 2 center. If you don't see this, you don't understand what kind of player Poehling is. You think he has no offensive skills which is wrong.

Every team has a Poehling? This is BS! Show me how many young kids good enough to play NCAA as a 17 or 18 year old. He is a big strong body that can skate well and he does have some offensive skills. His draft +1 was very impressive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad