Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So he's not even a 1st line winger anymore in VGK!

Hard to believe guys like Wild Bill, March and Smith were considered rejects just a couple of years ago, and if someone told you Patches would be playing behind them in a teams' depth chart, you would be laughed at instantly.

Chemistry, yeah ok sure, but Patches with Statsny should be above those guys in all sane worlds but this one.
Marchesseault and Smith alone combined for 135 points. Stastny and Pacioretty combined for 77.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate the sanity of this world.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What why? That's just completely wrong. Petersen is an A ranked prospect off the top of my head. Hischier, Matthews and Eichel were A ranked prospects when they were drafted too.

Hischier had a good, but not remarkable season in the QMJHL prior to being draft. Eichel too.

See:

I can't put anyone on that upside until they've done something at the professional level, whether it be in Europe or in NA.

Glass has had way more success in juniors, was drafted way higher and had a much better pedigree when drafted. Those two aren't comparable, Glass is the better prospect.

Thomas put up 27 less points than Glass did last year and 28 less points the year before. Even if you take it by PPG, Glass was still better last year (Thomas had a pace of 98 points in 62 games, Glass had 102 points in 62 games) and was way better the year before.

Success in junior as defined by boxcar stats is pretty iffy way to judge prospects, as is draft position.

Either way, your ranking seems pretty arbitrary and reliant on pedigree.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
It's funny how high Hab fans were on Poehling 6 months ago, now that they've got Suzuki and Kotkaniemi it's almost like he's yesterday's news.

Out of sight out of mind I guess.

WTF are you talking about, Habs fans are still really high on Poehling.

Reactions: ottawa

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
There you go. Already debating whether he's a 3C now.

Out of curiosity do you see Suzuki as being significantly better than Poehling?

Yes, saying his floor is a 3C is definitely not high on him:help:

As for Suzuki vs. Poehling, I have no idea. Suzuki has better pedigree and has more upside, but Poehling is more physically ready and has better transferrable tools. Suzuki has the potential to be significantly better than Poehling and is clearly Montreal's #2 prospect, but the gap between them isn't huge. Suzuki is a top 30-40 prospect, Poehling is a top 50-60 prospect. That doesn't mean Suzuki will be better.

Its also more likely to here about Habs fans talking about Suzuki instead of Poehling because:

a) He was just acquired;
b) Rookie camp just ended; and
c) Poehling hasn't played in a while and as a college player wasn't at Montreal's rookie camp.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Oh boy, yikes. I mean, he's not even a PPG player in the NCAA. What makes him a better prospect than Fillip Hallander, who was a Penguins 2nd rounder this year? That's just an example, I could name other players from other teams too, Rasmus Asplund is one that jumps to mind really quickly.

Nice hockeydb scouting you've done there.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No way will Tatar provide that kind of offense especially for Habs. He has a big salary also. Suzuki maybe decent.
I don't see the value here. Should have just waited until trade deadline.
We're not as stupid as the Islanders. Wait and get nothing. We got a pretty good return.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Why do you feel bad? he waived to come to us

he waived to come to us because there is no competition for ice time here.....he knows he is guaranteed to play in every game here....he was sitting in the press box in vegas....he can start and play in every game on our sorry sack team

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
he waived to come to us because there is no competition for ice time here.....he knows he is guaranteed to play in every game here....he was sitting in the press box in vegas....he can start and play in every game on our sorry sack team

They wouldn't sit a 26 year old forward making 5.5m

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Then why does Capfriendly say Vegas nullified the clauses in his contract when he was traded? This is a little confusing.

It's basically Capfriendly saying Vegas voided the NTC, while all the other sources (NBC, Sportsnet, etc.) saying Tatar had a NTC. I don't think there's been an actual report of whether it was actually voided or not and since there's no quotes from Tatar saying he waived the NTC, it isn't a reliable source.

But at the end of the day, Vegas wasn't happy with Tatar and I doubt Tatar was happy with the type of role he was going to be given so it likely didn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad